1979 SR5 Build

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by MrPhotoFinish, Jul 16, 2015.

1. MrPhotoFinish

MrPhotoFinish Member

MY 1979 SR5 Build

So, some of you know of me by now because i have been commenting on several posts just trying to do some research. Its time that i do my build thread. I will try my best to keep this thing updated as much as possible as i do modifications.
    -I have been back and forth with whether or not i am selling the truck, but in the mean time i am going to continue to to improve the truck the nest that I can.

http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/exterior-body-41/buffed-79-sr5-20874/
    ^^ This link is to a Thread that I made for buffing the truck once i bought it.

As far as where i started i bought the truck with the odometer reading 07027 miles. Now we all know that the truck does not have 7 thousand original miles, and the seller told me 107XXX, but i was no fool. I figured it was either 200XXX and up. But i felt as if i got a decent deal. I have been on this constant search for power to upgrade this truck and evey avenue seems unrealistic, costly, or just plain ol doesn't make financial sense since the truck is so old. So i have recently decided to make the best out of what i have.

The interior was rough and so was the carpet. The truck has cold ac, but no heat. I think the heater core is clogged and i will be posting once i fix that too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  2. MrPhotoFinish

MrPhotoFinish Member

Added a tach and replacing mounts

Bought tach from Oreillys for 35 bucks. Splice the white illumination wire into a wire behind the speedo that hooks into the dash illumination light that is about the ac controls.

Also i will be installing all new motor mounts and pacesetter headers along with a magnaflow straight thru muffler system. Purchased from Autozone for 32 bucks for all three.

Attached Files:

3. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    Looks good. Paint is in remarkable shape considering the age.

4. MrPhotoFinish

MrPhotoFinish Member

Headers

Just received my Headers today. I order them from Amazon and paid 191.00 with one day shipping. ordered yesterday on 7/16 and received today. the part number is 70-1080 for 5 speed 20r Trucks. Quality seems good. I will sand down the black paint and recoat with ceramic spray thanks to other peoples experiences on the fourms.

Attached Files:

5. ddbuffalo

ddbuffalo Newbie

Your truck looks great. My '79 runs ok, cold a/c, but body is rough--most of the body has some kind of dent in it.; not a lot to work with. Also have some vibration around 45-55 mph.

6. MrPhotoFinish

MrPhotoFinish Member

Yea mine runs pretty good, considering the age. Also I have dents all over too and some rust spots. I dont let it bother me, because the truck is older then i am, lol. I was having issues with my carb, the previous owner "replaced" it and it was adjusted just fine. Then one day i decided to mess with my choke, idle screw and mixture. now somethings off. My speed is limited to like 60mph and my rpms go to like 3k or 3500. so i dont know where i went wrong, but that will be another project.

7. MrPhotoFinish

MrPhotoFinish Member

Headers and Mounts installed

SOOOOO, today i spent roughly 6 hours installing both engine mount, trans mount and headers. I have to say that the reason that it took me so long aside from conversing with my neighbor, the aftermarket trans mount (ANCHOR BRAND) WAS HORRIBLE. The issue was the size of the holes on the mount it self. They did not line up with the transmission holes. Once you get one bolt in the other two on the other side would line up for sh**. So I had to pull out the trusty drill and bits and grind away at the hole until it was larger enough for me to get the threads lined up.

The motor mounts were fairly simple. And i can honestly say that for a 36 yr old truck i did not break ONE SINGLE BOLT, OR STRIP ONE SINGLE THREAD. I was shocked!!! I did not have one problem installing the headers, with the exception of the headers hitting the torsion bars. But all in all, I can say a job well done. I used rustoleum Aircraft Paint Stripper to get the shipping paint off of the pacesetter headers. I also used VHT Flameproof ceramic coating to spray the headers.

Now my exhaust is obnoxiously loud and I cant wait to get to a muffler shop to install my magnaflow straight thru muffler and my 2.25 exhaust piping

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015