22r or 22re advise

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Johnno919, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Johnno919

Johnno919 Member

Truck:
    22r 91 Xcab
    hey guys i have the opportunity in a couple of days to buy a fresh rebuild 22re corona. i was wondering if it is worth it to put into my lux(22r) and maybe do a turbo build if i can find enough info on it. i know some of you guys have done it and was hoping that you could direct me with some info.

i would be doing the turbo by myself im reasonably confident with a mig welder and think i could undertake welding the exhaust set up. any advise will be noted, everyone has there own opinion.

just getting in early if your going to say just to a jz or uz swap keep in mind i dont have the funds for one or knowledge.

thanks in advance

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Unless you're going to ditch the stock computer a turbo is an absolute waste of time and money. Even with an aftermarket computer you won't make a whole lot of horsepower. There are lots of options out there and wiring writeups to go along with them to do much better engine swaps.

Don't get me wrong, I love the r series engines but they are better suited for usage in a tractor then a race car. :lol:

3. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    I agree with White Trash. I don't have a huge amount of experience with these engines, but most of what I've read points to only moderate HP and torque gains with these engines. That being said: With a truck this light, the turbo may be enough to make it a really fun ride.
    On a side note about ditching the computer, I've wonded how this engine would work with a 4-barrel carb intake that I've seen for these engines and one of the "self learning" 4-barrel EFI kits that are popular on hotrods right now. Maybe a setup like that along with a turbo would do well. Not sure.

4. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Just only so much you can do with the relatively short stroke and valvetrain design...

5. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    just swap in a 3s-gte!! and u get boost! same 4 banger gas-sipping mpg's. and u dont gotta molest the engine compartment, front support, and the trans tunnel to make the JZ or the UZ fit

6. Johnno919

Johnno919 Member

Truck:
    22r 91 Xcab
    thanks guys i was going to go with a aftermarket ecu
    i no these are never going to push out the power of jz series just looking for abit more acceleration and power down low.
    3s-gte? hmm never thought of that

7. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    look for the early 3s-gte. u can always upgrade the turbo to a slightly larger one (has more available aftermarket parts) while still running the stock ecu. possibly one with an external waste gate, get a boost controller, and there ya go!