Official Build thread Road racer / GT 1983 pickup

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by joecrotch, Mar 8, 2015.

1. joecrotch

joecrotch Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Short bed 2wd
    Hey there all, Thought I would officially start a build thread to keep track of my progress. In case you have not seen my other thread. Her is the break down of where I am at.

1983 Toyota pickup all stock purchased in November 2014. The truck was bought from a old lady who had been using it since new to take her trash to the dump once a month. She bought a new Tacoma in October 2014 and decided to sell this one. She is a friend of my mother, so my mom knowing I am a Toyota fanatic told me about it. So I went down and purchased it for 5 bills. The truck came with just under 80k original miles and had a oil change every 3000. I know this because of the entire BOX of receipts from all maint work lol.

Anyway here is how it looked 3 days after I drove it home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A couple weeks after that I decided to slam it since I had some 4 inch blocks laying around. Just wanted to get an idea of how much was enough. Here is how it looked after.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then this week I decided to get going full throttle on this project. I finally got a direction. My goal is a road racer. Good suspension, 300-500whp. Don't want to be over powered with no traction but I want it to have the ability to break loose on demand. My goal is a comfortable vehicle with plenty of power and great suspension. I am really having a hard time picking a power plant. When I picture this build in my head I picture something worthy of a cross country rally race. If it actually comes out like that is to be seen.

Got the 22r pulled and next week plan on pulling the bed and cab to start fab work on suspension and frame stiffeners.

Here is some fun pics of the engine removal!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will post weekly or more as I get work done.
    Thanks for following. If you have any suggestions please feel free to comment. My latest idea for a motor is one of the Chevy V6 60* motors, turbo'd. Im thinking maybe something like a 4.3 out of a f-body Camaro with a single turbo. Radiator in the bed with a scoop coming from under the bed for air flow.

2. joecrotch

joecrotch Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Short bed 2wd
    So I hadn't really been looking at the 2jzgte because I thought it was way out of my price range. But I have been checking the Web all day and they are really not that expensive. I am seriously considering buying a front clip from a supra. With shipping they are only about 3500. Which is way less than I expected. Anyone know the cheapest place to get one?