7mgte swap questions

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by joecrotch, Feb 27, 2015.

1. joecrotch

joecrotch Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Short bed 2wd
    Hey guys so I have spent most of this winter gathering parts and info for my swap. I was going to do a airbag set up and just leave the 22r. But I have decided I love going fast more than I love dragging frame. I will still do a 4 link in the rear to help with traction issues.

The big question I have for anyone who has done this or even read about the swap somewhere. Is a body lift required for fitment. As well as a custom oil pan? In the few threads I have found around the net, most have a BL. But no one actually says it is mandatory. To be honest I haven't seen a first gen swap and if its only a few inches I would rather modify the hood. I like the stance my truck has now. Also if anyone near me is interested I'm selling my 22r with 80k original miles on it.

I'm still looking for a good thread/ article / website with good info on a 1st gen 7mgte swap.

Thanks for any help guys!

2. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    The body lift isn't required for a 1/2jz swap, so I doubt you'll need it for the 7m.

It's going to be tight though. As far as the oil pan, not sure, but I imagine the rear sump pan will fit just like the 1/2jz.

3. joecrotch

joecrotch Newbie

Truck:
    That was my thought on the oil pan. A custom pan would not be hard to fab up anyway. Luckily the 7M is not a massive block. The only fitment issue that really worries me is the down pipe. I did a 7mgte in a Cressida and we had to shoehorn the downpipe in. I'm currently looking for a exhaust manifold that will put the turbo a little further forward in the bay. I'm still looking for a short block. Believe it or not I am having a hell of a time finding one for a decent price. All the Craigslist 7m's are priced like they are solid gold!

4. joecrotch

joecrotch Newbie

Truck:
    So starting my swap today. Today is going to be tear down only. Take inventory of what I have and what I need. Luckily I sold my 22r so a little more money into the project fund. I will take pics as we work. I'm thinking about starting a build thread tonight. I only wish my garage was finished. It's still in the 30s and 40s here in New Mexico.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Hope youre able to post some updates and not let this thread die like some others we have seen.

6. joecrotch

joecrotch Newbie

Truck:
    Yeah I have kinda noticed it looks like this forum is not as active as it use to be. Hopefuly we can get some good content and change that!!

Hagan Quinto likes this.
  7. joecrotch

joecrotch Newbie

Truck:
    So......pulling that grimey 22R was harder than I thought. I estimated 2 hours, just because I have pulled MANY motors before. The bolte for the bellhousing on the top driver side was insane!! it was like someone super glued it in. But after some wrestling we go it out. Luckily I had some buddies helping out. Here is some pics of the R&R.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that I ran by the junkyard to see what options on motors I have. The first pic is a Cadi Northstar edition, I really like that idea. I'm gonna have to look into what all needs to be swapped with it. The others are just some thoughts I am Toy,ing with. Pun intended.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. joecrotch

joecrotch Newbie

Truck:
    Ok so a little google research has taken the Northstar off the list. Apparently they have huge issues. One of the worst being a huge issue with head bolts corroding due to dissimilar metal corrosion of the steel head bolts and aluminum head. I have a feeling this search for the perfect motor is going to be a little longer than I though.

Its ok though, This will give me plenty of time to clean prep and paint the frame and body. I also want to make some custom fiberglass body parts.

9. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    Join supra-truck on Facebook.
    They can answer any questions you may have!