Mikero's 90 Yota

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Mikerocosms, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Hey fellas,

Well it turns out that the 91 Yota I thought I had was actually a 90. I never really paid attention to the title. It started off as my grandfather's truck then he gave it to my dad and my dad gave it to me. I've already started doing a few things to it like immediately removing the aluminum camper, installing 350z rims, installing accord bucket seats, removed sliding rear window.

I don't really plan on lowering it. I kind of like the standard ride height.

What I had in mind for the future is:
    Code:
    4Runner power mirrors fully functional

Door speaker pods

Shave antenna with power boosted antenna hidden in dash

Shave and relocated wiper squirters in cowl

Retrofit other vehicle door handles and lock (haven't found the style I want yet)

Among other things...

Here is my truck as it is now.
    [​IMG]

This is what I got in this week:
    [​IMG]

I'll be installing the Viper alarm with power locks via relays. Shouldn't be that difficult.

M

2. silverblazer50

silverblazer50 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1994 reg cab
    Great start!!! Love those wheels.

3. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    I know I said it shouldn't be that hard earlier but when it's triple digits and all you got in the shop is a swamp cooler things get a little bit harder.

I started off by mounting the lock actuators. Found the perfect spot.
    Had to cut a section to mount the rod to.

[​IMG]

Marked my where the holes would go and mounted the acutator.
    [​IMG]

Then I wired up the relays.
    Yes I know I could have saved a couple but connectors on the hot wires.

[​IMG]

I tested everything and it works but I didn't quite finish because I ran out of wire and had to get some. At least the alarm is installed and the power locks work. Just gotta route wire to passenger side door. I'll attach the relay wiring diagram for those who may want to add power locks to their trucks or anything else for that matter.

Oh and I'm still waiting on the door wire boots. Got them off of ebay. I think they'll work out nice.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Power Window Install

I figured that if I can't have A/C right now then I should at least have power windows. So last week I purchased a pair of power window regulators off of ebay for my truck. I felt $65 shipped was a good buy for the pair. I then decided to use the clock area on the climate control panel for my switches since I'm not going the complete OEM route with my wiring. So I took off the climate control panel and looked at what I had...

[​IMG]

I used a cutoff wheel to cut out the majority of the dummy plug in then I used a small grinder to smooth it out.

Much better.
    [​IMG]

By my measurements the R & L six pin momentary switches would just barely fit on there. After a couple hours of tv watching while whittling the square holes that the switches would fit in, the switches were installed.

I think they look good.
    [​IMG]

Now onto the wiring. All you have to do to make these windows work is criss-cross the polarity so when you press up power and ground make it go up and if you press down the reversed wiring makes the window go down. Easy peasy...

Grounds wired up.
    [​IMG]

Power wired up.
    [​IMG]

The middle pegs go to the R & L motor wires. I'll do that later as once again I am out of colored wire and daylight.

Till next time...
    [​IMG]

5. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    That's an interesting idea there. Doin good work, keep it up :waytogo:

6. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Well I eventually did get the power windows in and working. Thing is it was a bit more confusing than I thought. Apparently the power window mechanism is built quite different than the crank version. After studying the whole thing with my father mind you. He figured where it went (he's a genius sometimes). The power window assembly only shares one mounting hole with the hand crank version.

Red is old hand crank holes. Green is power assembly holes.
    [​IMG]

I then took the doors off to make 3/4" holes for my new door wire boots. I used a 3/4" knockout for that clean cutout look. Excuse the dirt/rub-wear, all will get painted eventually.
    [​IMG]

Boots installed and wires routed.
    [​IMG]

Climate control panel with power window switches installed.
    [​IMG]

On to the next project...

7. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    Nice work! :waytogo:

8. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Thanks bud.

9. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Well today I attempted to lower my 05 civic seats as when I installed them they kinda sat too high. I only had about 1 1/2" max head room and I'm not that tall. Not to mention whenever I got in I would hit my head. Just getting in and out was uncomfortable. The seats themselves are really nice and hug in all the right places. I really like them.

Unfortunately I knew I didn't have a lot of time and I didn't get to take pics but I will for the driver side. As some of you know whenever you do something new start with the passenger side. That way the driver side turns out better.

I was able to shave off the lifting brackets and weld bolts to the newly flattened mounting area. When I put the seat in to find out where I needed to drill holes, I found that I need to flatten two parts of the floor. I checked and neither will interfere with anything underneath. Well that is except the fuel lines might be in the way temporarily. I just have to unbolt them so they drop out of the way for a while. That's where I left off. We'll see if I get some time tomorrow to finish the passenger side at least. Then I'll do the driver side complete with pics.

M

10. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Jaguar Alternator 120amp

Well I only finished one side of the seats and I am happy with that and I'll post pics when I finish the driver side, but I did get my new 120amp alternator.

This alt is off of a 93-97 XJ6 (Denso Part # 210-0406). It is about as drop in easy as it gets. The overall size of the alt is larger but it still fits in the same spots. I didn't even have to do anything to my brackets. Even the plug in the back matches. The only real issue was swapping my v-belt pulley with the serpentine pulley. My v-belt pully center hole was smaller so I took it to a machine shop and had it matched to the hole on the serpentine belt pulley (only charged me $10).

Anyhow, here is my truck on the rack in the shop.
    [​IMG]

This is the new alt.
    [​IMG]

Here are the old and new alts side by side (notice size difference). Same mount positions.
    [​IMG]

Here are the rears (sorry for blurry phone pics).
    [​IMG]

Here is the new alt installed. I also finished up the last part of my Big 3 upgrade. I must mention that I did get a 1/2" larger belt as there was no way I could fit the old belt on otherwise.
    [​IMG]

I hope this amount of amperage holds me out for a good while. Now back on to lowering my driver side seat...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  11. AF Yota

AF Yota Newbie

Truck:
    94 pickup xcab
    Ive never seen anyone put auto locks and auto windows in. I'm going to have to do that to my truck now

12. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    If you need any info just let me know I'll help.

13. silverblazer50

silverblazer50 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1994 reg cab
    Where did you get the power window switches?

14. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Got them on amazon:

Switches

You get 3 switches for around $11.

15. Byronics

Byronics Veteran

Truck:
    89' Single cab
    cool build so far man. I've always wanted to have power lock and power windows. now I have some ideas

16. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Thanks bud. Glad to have helped.

17. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Finally classes are done, at least for now. During the semester I had been locating parts for a 4runner conversion. The first weekend after classes I got started. Here is what I was working with.

[​IMG]

A few hours later I had this. I had to leave my old fenders on with corner lights because I wasn't finished repairing a few dents and shaving the antenna hole on the used 4runner fenders I bought.

[​IMG]

After the dent fixing and antenna shaving I was finally able to swap fenders out. I primed them with white primer so as to not look so "off" with the rest of the white truck. What a much cleaner fit these new corners have. I couldn't stand the look nor the actual fitment of the old 2wd corner lights. I saw other people with chrome 2wd corners on these forums but after seeing the fitment first hand the correct ones are definitely the way to go.

[​IMG]

Now all I need is the lower bumper setup. I probably won't have a chance to get one until after the holidays. Regrettably I'll probably end up putting the old bumper/valance on until then.

Side note. I did shave the exterior antenna but I also opted to install one of these antennas under the dash way up next to the windshield. Basically where the top of the dash meets the windshield. It is unseen (due to being under the dash) but since it is amplified I still get all of the stations I used to get with an exterior antenna.

[​IMG]

I'm still planning out my door panels so next time for the bumper and door panels.

jblaust likes this.
  18. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Cool idea there with the antannae

jblaust likes this.
  19. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    So the Jag alternator was a complete drop-in, aside from the belt pulley? And if you don't mind, what was the part number for the belt? Does your truck have power steering? Sorry for all the questions, but if I can double the amperage for slightly cheaper than a factory replacement, I might have to steal this idea from you. LOL

20. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Yes, the Jaguar Alt was basically a drop in. Like I said I had to have a machine shop drill out the center pulley larger to fit the shaft on the Jag Alt. I think I also had to put a washer in there too to space it out to match the built in spacer on the serpentine pulley. Unfortunately I don't have a part number on the pulley right off hand but any auto parts store other than Autozone should be able to step up your belt just enough. The folks at AZ looked at me like stepping up a size on a belt was the most complicated thing ever.

Be sure to upgrade your power wire size or consider doing the Big 3 so that you wind up actually getting that upgrade in amperage.

No power steering on my truck.

This was Alt idea was not mine but after a lot of research I found it around several Toyota forums. I even theorize that the "LoadBoss" 170amp alts sold on ebay are these Jag alts just built up for more amperage. At least with these you can get warrantied and replaced fairly easily at your local auto parts store.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015