My '92 2wd 347 Swapped Track Truck - Build Thread

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Erik Beeman, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    I have a hydraulic setup, wilwood reservour, steel braided line and a cnc push slave. Works amazing, as light as a feather

2. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    Sweet. Id like to get more info on this setup from ya if possible. Shot ya a text [702 area code]. Did you chop up the headers to use on your twin turbo kit?

3. Bo Ledbetter

Bo Ledbetter Newbie

What did you about alternator connection. And fuel if you don't mind me asking ?

4. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    I wanted to stay away from a serpentine setup so I purposefully stuck with a Vbelt. I am only running my alternator and water pump, both of which are Ford parts. The older Vbelt alternators are from the older F150's, at least that is what I bought mine from. A big thing for me was to design this build using as little custom built parts as possible so that I could always source of-the-shelf items. The older Vbelt alternators are externally regulated. If you run an external regulator you want to make sure to run a resistor on the I port of the of regulator. I will have to double back on what the resistor size is, I don't remember my calculation so for ease of purpose I will check the truck later.

5. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Still around, constantly lurking.

I moved to Oregon and finally have my Toyota with me. Every year or two I seem to dig in and keep modifying. The transmission is out again and I'm waiting for it to be rebuilt, I keep tearing through them!

*I'm currently redoing the fuel system; I running an Aeromotive 11203 pump and matching it with the Aeromotive 13204 pressure regulator, rising rate. I had always been having issues with the standard Holley FPR and fluctuating pressures or volume and was never really a fan. Time to step it up and get the reliable fuel I need.

*I also junked the brand new Wieand Xccelerator intake with the Holley 570 VS carb that I bought last year, I wasn't a fan of them. I reworked and ported the E7 heads, did springs to match the cam, and ported my trusty Torquer 289. Also went back to the Holley 650DP MS, the truck is really a blast with this setup. I'm hoping to put down 300+ on motor. We'll see!

*Cleaning up wiring that I left lingering a few years back.

*Exploring the Ford 8.8 rear end narrowing procedure. I love the 3.73LSD and disk brakes, but hate the fact that I've been running two different sets of rims because of the addition axle width of the 8.8. Has anybody here done the 8.8 narrowing procedure?

This is all in hopes to getting a legal license plate here in OR. Now that would be cool.

Any new 302 swaps out there?!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  6. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Updates with pictures. LOTS of work done recently. I typically only upload photos once the task is fully complete.
    Even if no one follows, I use this thread for my own build tracking :lol:

New dash. First dash I built years ago was with Equus gauges and it was time for a refresh, seemed outdated. This time I went with the Intellitronix create-a-dash system which is all electronic. New oil, fuel, water sendors/sensors as well as the T5 electric speedo conversion.

Parts used were
    Intellitronix Create-A-Dash
    LED blinkers & high beam indicators
    Smoked acrylic faceplate
    Rubber trim
    6-pin connectors
    (2) 10-space terminal blocks fed by Ign On relay. erik dash.jpg
    Dash1.jpg dash2.jpg dash3.jpg dash4.jpg dash5.jpg dash6.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  7. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    SICK!!

I have an Equus tach...hate it! Too slow to respond...accuracy is eh?

8. diesel

diesel Newbie

Truck:
    92 rcsb
    cool build thread.i have a 92 2wd also,and am wanting to swap my 302 out of my mustang into my truck.not much info that i can find on 2wd trucks doing this swap,tons of 4wd tho.

couple questions for you,i am also gonna use the nwor motor mounts.what did you do for headers,exhaust?radiator?im gonna run a c4 auto for now and am gonna swap a 8.8 also.i am building this truck for "street" racing.any help or pics would be great.

9. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup

I tried a couple off the shelf headers for a 302 (BBK shorty and china no-namers) and neither of them fit. It's just a nice tight fit once it's all in there. I ended up building my own headers. If you don't have the ability to make your own, you might want to look into the NWOR kit, I believe they sell custom 302 headers.

You will want as much cooling as you can get. These aren't exactly big engine bays, and depending what kind of power your going to make and how you're going to drive, they run on the hotter side. I'm running a Howe Racing double pass 3" core aluminum radiator and a 2500cfm electric fan with a high volume pump and run about 190-195°.

Keep in mind I'n running carb'd and the old Vbelt setup for my own reasons, the modern serpentine fuel injected 5.0s are longer in the front and will give you even less room to work with. See photo below of my clearance

Attached Files:

10. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Still here.
    About to throw up an update on the finally narrowed rear end :cool:

11. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    After all these years shes finally got the small block stroker. It's a Ford 347. Couple pictures of the process before she went into the truck. The 302 lived a good life, but she let go last year! I think it spun a rod, but I haven't torn it down to inspect it. Its forged bottom, Dart heads, custom cam from Comp, but still a hydraulic roller, and the accessories to finish it up.

Attached Files:

12. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Good work on the dash, looks super nice :). I did get a 8.8 For mine also, but this one was offset funny, passenger side seems short and the other side looked longer, can’t remember exactly, but that made me so lazy In install the 8.8, been using it as a weight in the back of my truck for a few months now.

13. 6pucker

6pucker Newbie

Hey Erik, I'm in the middle of stock piling parts to swap in a 302 and a T5 and just wanted to thank you for documenting your setup. All the information and knowledge in these 3 pages has been a godsend. Stay blessed and please continue to share your build. I appreciate it!!!

P.S. that Daze bracket info came in clutch. I was looking at the McLeod setup and damn near cried. Not just cause it's super expensive but because I wouldn't be utilizing all the parts in that kit.

14. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup

Yeah, the 8.8 from the Explorer and Mountaineers were offset and I think most other 8.8 were as well. I pulled mine from the Mountaineer that is 31 spline with the disk brakes and 3.73 limited slip. I now wish I had found a 3.55, but I can change that later.

From what I recall, the overall width of the 8.8 is a couple inches wider than the stock Toyota rear end. If you do the easier route of shortening the rear end, what you end up doing is narrowing the longer driver side to be the same length as the shorter passenger side. Then you can order or junkyard hound for another passenger side axle. Using the same rims before and after, I found that the shortened width is nearly identical to the stock Toyota rear end, which I also had these rims on.

The shortening process isn't really hard at all. But it is time consuming, or at least it was for me. After getting it out of the truck and tearing it down, you have to cut off all the brackets and grind things down. Take some measurements, make sure you're spot on, and then just cut and weld the driver side tube. Weld on some new spring perches and you're set. I ended up going with a new rear sway bar setup for the rear end as well so I had to weld those in place. After getting everything back together, it was time for some paint. My wife and I haven't really painted before, so we bought some lower cost gear to give it a try and it turned out decent but there's much room for improvement. Now I give more props to the paint and body guys out there, it's a lot of work. I didn't detail every step I did but you get the jist.

Here's some photos from the Ford 8.8 rear end shortening process that I finished up a couple months ago. Shout out to my wife for all the help!

20190925_104804.jpg 20190925_115548.jpg 20190925_160449.jpg 20190925_173842.jpg 20190925_181650.jpg 20190926_130744.jpg 20190926_155135.jpg 20190927_085715.jpg 20190930_112848(1).jpg 20190930_112904_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    SteveO and Erwin Merida like this.
  15. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Here are some more photos of the rear end process.

Attached Files:

SteveO likes this.
  16. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Here are some more photos of the rear end process.

Attached Files:

SteveO and Erwin Merida like this.
  17. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Since I've mentioned before that the factory Ford dual sump pan fits very well in the Toyota, I figured I'd follow up with that.

One of the things that I noticed the most is that while pulling the motor and dropping it in (done it about a half dozen times now, lol), was that the oil pan was always the tricky part that would make getting it in and out a little tougher. I also noticed that I was getting some scuff marks on the bottom of pan, no dents, but some visual clues of contact. Probably during motor vibration, although the NWOR mounts are pretty stiff.

I decided to clearance the bar (I don't know the technical term) on the front end in order to help with the oil pan clearance and make my life easier. In the photos below you can see there wasn't much clearance needed, and it isn't a requirement, but it does surprisingly make things a little bit easier. I've wanted to do this for a long time, but was lazy.

Attached Files:

Erwin Merida likes this.
  18. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    This drivetrain setup is superb for daily racing, I mean daily driving! Serious sleeper.

19. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    The truck was just finished with a new paint job. And a fresh 347 motor for this year, we're up to 11.52:1 on the compression. And still rocking the GForce T5 with the narrowed 8.8.

There have been many upgrades since my last post in 2020. The truck is 95% back together with just final touch up stuff left. In another few weeks I'll be dumping another update post(s) with how the truck currently sits. I hope I can give inspiration to all my fellow mini's out there!

Also, I was going through some old threads of mine over on Yotatech, and I completely forgot about my supercharger build thread. For those that may not know, over 10 years ago when I did this V8 swap, I had built a custom 22RE motor and then design and built a supercharger kit for it. It was so badass, I kick myself to this day for letting it go. I love the V8, but man the supercharged setup was such a unicorn, nothing else like it. Here's the link to that build thread if anyone wanted to check it out :)

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/my-supercharger-build-thread-209622/index2.html

Stay tuned...

Erwin Merida likes this.
  20. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Crayz compression!! Love the build and write up! Would enjoy seeing a video of this Windsor powered beast! Keep up the good work.