tailgate wooohs..

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by ryans88yota, Mar 15, 2013.

1. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    [​IMG]

My tailgate is hammered. Thank u base model for having single sheet walls and dual latches.. ive got all kinds of push out spots metal stretching from stuff getting crammed in. And of course rust holes in the bottom... where on this earth do I find a replacement. I like and will keep the dual latches. Adds to the classic feel and I just like it.. but o belive this is beyond repair. Of the rust wasnt right on the bodyline id attempt it. So. Wat do I do!

2. gilpet79

gilpet79 Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 2wd
    give to body shop...have them fix it for price of a new one and bam! no hassle new tailgate!

3. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    That's gotta be very expensive. Any idea what a new onr costs?

4. Mr. Toyota

Mr. Toyota Newbie

Truck:
    78' Hilux
    Rather then spending a boatload on trying to have someone fix that one up, Or spending hours on fixing it at home. Why not try a local junkyard there is bound to be a 80-90' pickup:shrug:, You might just get lucky and find one that has little if any issues. Paint might not match but it really shouldn't cost all that much either.:thinking:

5. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    Ive been doing this alot these days. It seems its either single hande or worse than mine or gone. Slim pickens around these parts.. I was tryin to come up with a plan B. Im almost ready to pay a buttload. Ive owned 3 trucks and all have been reasonably nice with destroyed tailgated... very aggrivating. Its the only thing u see following me id like it to be nice. Paint doesnt even have to match! Hell ill probably primer black it since imma try my hand ay painting next summer.

6. Mr. Toyota

Mr. Toyota Newbie

Truck:
    78' Hilux
    Well that's a pain in the ass:doah:, I suppose it's best to look at a new one if you can't snag one up at a local yard:eek:. I'm certain that I passed some gates like that in my local yard, Only one 78' was there in the yota row plenty of 80's stuff. Sucks that you just can't seem to find one best of luck on the search I will keep an eyeout.:waytogo:

7. slacker

slacker Addict

Truck:
    84-7m-GTE custom
  8. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    If u find one and its in good shape would u be willing to ship it to me? What would some thing like that cost ship? Remember. .. dual handles. :) u will be well compensated!

Very cool link! Definitely ginna take that windsheild visor and make it my bitch! But I see no tailgates.. nor would I want a fiber glass one persay. But thanks for link still appreciated.

9. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    dont buy a non-capa one or a "cheap" one in general. i bought one in high school and the seams are just folded together, everytime i sat on it you could see the seams seperate, after a while the tailgate got tweaked and would vibrate everytime the truck idles. im only a 5'6 japanese kid lol. genuine tailgates are the strongest! plus the single wall makes a nice ass holder. hahaha

10. slacker

slacker Addict

Truck:
    84-7m-GTE custom
    I understand your reluctance , but just to let you know .. it is NEW school FRP .. Kevlar rienforced .. rated to 500LBS , and never have to worry about rust again dosnt "shatter" or even "spider crack" like the old sh!t .. this is NEW technology ...
    cost is most likely much more then you want to spend anyway !!
    but , just wanted you to know .. best of luck finding one

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  11. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    Good luck on finding a tail gate for a Japanese bed. Most of the trucks here have the US beds.
    Try calling our Toyota Truck Dismantler's here in San Jose, CA.

12. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    Is mine japanese? Is that why I have dual handles! Ive wondered thats BA

13. arl33323

arl33323 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 22r
  14. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    I found handles thanks to ^^^^^ now im considering taking a us tailgate and shaving the handle and adding dual handles. I can get aftermarket us tailgates or used left and right

15. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

I see them on Seattle's craigslist every now and then. Or do like I did I found a good tailgate and bed on a truck and bought the whole thing swapped out what I wanted and sold the truck to recover my money. Have you been out to black lake towing he deals with a lot of Toyota's or you can cruz the yards up north I see them in the pull a part yards a lot to

16. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    Wish my pockets were deep enough for a whole truck right now. Ideally id like to buy a 4x4 shell swap the fenders hood bumper corners grill and bed. Love the 4x4 lowered look. Ive heard of black lake never been there. And pull a part is a little far but not bad. Im close to two I frequent. Guess its time to branch out make some calls amd get going on this business.

17. arl33323

arl33323 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 22r
    it would be cheaper to buy the 4x4 parts off of rockauto, then buying a whole truck.