1978 Time Warp Toyota!

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Mr. Toyota, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Mr. Toyota

Mr. Toyota Newbie

Truck:
    78' Hilux
    To catch everyone up on the work that's into the truck.
    When It was rolled down to the work area the truck was in desperate need of service, The 5 speed was burned up it needed replacing along with the carrier bearing and E-break cable of coarse fluids/filters too.

So I Picked up a 4 speed at a local junk yard (200$)
    [​IMG]
    Got the rebuilt 4 speed in the truck just to realize the finned bellhousing had a newer slave/throwout design. :duh:
    Dropped the transmission and used the original bellhousing and it was golden,adjusted the slave/master and noticed a wallowed Master fork arm so my dad fabricated one(Pictured). Fixed all the split and leaking vacuum hoses...lameness:rolleyes2:
    Got the engine running changed the oil used some high mileage oil, Then I changed an gapped the plugs and wires.
    [​IMG]
    Decided the valvetrain was in need of adjustment so I got some new gaskets and got out the angled shims, Aircleaner off valve cover ready to remove got the engine up to temp then made adjustments where needed.
    Cleaned an reinstalled the valve cover used RTV Gasket maker on half moon seats.:waytogo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now It is running great for a 340,000 mile motor 850 Idle warm turns over first time everytime. I know some would say Im beating an old horse dead...I think shes got 100,000 or more left. Now that all the service is finished its time for some serious interior work.:drool:
    I Plan on making a custom center console and replacing the headliner with something retro, replace the carpet and seats install a gauge cluster in the old radio location along with a digital clock display and 12v acc on the dashboard blanks. That's whats in store for this Build up bring a Toyota back to its former glory days! Thank's all for reading.....:runaway:
    Stay Tuned Much More To Come!:clapping::clapping::clapping:

2. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    Cool, Eric! Good plans for your truck. BTW, did the truck come with a RH fender?

Rick

3. Mr. Toyota

Mr. Toyota Newbie

Truck:
    78' Hilux
    Funny you should mention that, Today I finished painting and installing the rh fender as the old one was twisted.:evil:
    Still painting the plastic grill from the blue parts truck pictures soon.
    ----------------(Before) Don't mind the clutter :jawdrop:
    [​IMG]
    ---------------- (After)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When the truck was purchased it was in a better place, Alot of the damage is from a gravel truck that almost took my dad out.:rolleyes2:
    Story is on the back road home, After coming around a bend there was a gravel truck with its trailer sliding off the shoulder. As the trailer chattered back on the road it threw a wave of gravel, Blowing the windshield and driver side window out. He chased the truck down pulled in front and stopped the driver for payment.:waytogo:
    Toyota pulls 18 wheeler over! :ROFL:
    Thanks for tuning in more to come soon!!!!:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:
    (Master cylinder fork my dad fabricated)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  4. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    Thanks for sharing that story, Eric! Glad you found a RH fender as these parts are becoming scarce.
    Keep up the good work!!!

5. Hazard

Hazard Member

Truck:
    '77 Pickup (automatic)
    100k left? more than that. If you take care of these 20R engines, they'll run until D-Day (and maybe even after that.) :D

6. Mr. Toyota

Mr. Toyota Newbie

Truck:
    78' Hilux
    Hazard!

Hey you know, The more the merrier:lol: I wouldn't be surprised disappointed if she lasted far beyond 440,000:bowdown: this truck hasn't had the hardest life the previous owner never loaded it. We on the other hand used her for what she was built for, Putting damn near 2,000lb of hay more then afew times and the occasional scrap run. For the most part an easy life in terms of Toyota, I will throw up a video of it running smooth.Crossing my fingers and well service her tell death... :ROFL:

Today I found a signs of the truck being overloaded,:rolleyes2: I was removing a rear shock/w overload spring. I noticed the upper shock stud just spinning when trying to remove the bolt. Minor set back as the gas tank was in the way, After removing the tank I saw the weld on the backside of the stud was totally gone..:verdict_in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomarrow I plan on installing the painted grill and welding up that damn shock mount so the new shocks can go in.
    Interior work is next as I am waiting for a router to be returned then the console is first as it will be the biggest project to finish and is going to be off the wall.:evil: :evil: :evil:

:headbang:Much More To Come Stay Tuned!:headbang:

7. Mr. Toyota

Mr. Toyota Newbie

Truck:
    78' Hilux
    Goodnews! :runaway:

Today I took the truck down the road, Also took some more snaps & quick video.
    http://youtube/gz2udomV5SY
    Rewelded*
    [​IMG]
    All fixed up! (Except the mirror):ROFL:
    [​IMG]
    Cleaned up the vacuum disaster....:rolleyes2:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013