w50 swap

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by kmghawaii, Jul 20, 2012.

1. kmghawaii

kmghawaii Enthusiast

Truck:
    1969 Hilux
    aloha everyone,

i am about to do a w50 5speed swap into my 69 hilux! i was wondering if anyone else out there has done a 5speed swap? does anyone know where to get aftermarket parts for the w50 such as clutch, short shifter?

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Clutch is standard issue for an R series engine and knowing toyota the input splines for your stock 4 speed are probably the same as the later 5 speed so you can use whatever clutch will work with the engine you have.

Short shifter, you are on your own as far as I know. Not too hard to make though. I'll be making my own for a W58 since I'm not going to pay what they are asking for one prefabbed.

3. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    Honestly for a short W50 shifter you'd just cut it down and reweld it. In fact I have a crappy one that a guy made for the celica it was in. May not look the best but it gets the job done.

How much tunnel do you have to cut up to do this swap on an rn15? Is it just a matter of relocating the hole?

4. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    Oh.. for that matter.. you could just use a celica shifter stock.. it's way shorter than a pickup shifter.

5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater

I took it that he's looking for a short throw shifter not just a short handle. Short handles are simple, I ran long 1/2" bolts on all 4 shifters in my old wheeling yota. Painted them satin black with nice boots and Chrome knobs, they looked sweet.

6. kmghawaii

kmghawaii Enthusiast

Truck:
    1969 Hilux
    thanks for the info guys! ya i am looking for a short throw shifter not just the shorter handle. i have a 22r in my hilux with the 4speed trans. so can do you guys think i can use parts for any 22r trans or would it need to be w50 specific? like this? most likely not right...so this trans was common in the older celicas as well, u guys know any good websites to find parts for this trans?
    clutch: Street Clutch Kit - 22R/RE(81-88) (8 7/8")
    short shifter: LC Pro Short Shifter Kit - 22R/RE(2wd) (88-95)
    thank you again for the info!

7. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    That clutch will work fine. You can build your own short shift for that trans easily. The shift tower is cast steel so you can cut it and raise the shifter seat 1/2" easily then just extend the shifter to match.

8. kmghawaii

kmghawaii Enthusiast

Truck:
    1969 Hilux
    ok thanks. i thought that clutch would work but when i called LC Engineering they weren't sure. they also told me they don't have parts for my 80 trans (w50). i just don't want to buy it and it does match up.

9. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    When it comes to transmission parts marlin is about the best source.