Gearhead Shop Truck - 72 RN22

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by gearheadshirts, Jan 21, 2012.

1. fearincognito

fearincognito Newbie

Truck:
    73 Hilux 75 Hilux 89 Pickup 86 MR2
    Np man hope you will find them.

2. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    My buddy can pull his wholesale pricing and get me some remanufactured calipers for $35 a pop.. sounding like I should have done that to begin with.

3. fearincognito

fearincognito Newbie

Truck:
    Lol 35 bucks and a lot less headache that's a good price man.

4. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    Picked them up yesterday. Nice and shiny.. this weekend I finally do the swap. Bought a ball joint puller at HF yesterday too.. no more beating the pickle fork :) I'll take pics and maybe video when I do the second side.. after I hopefully know what I'm doing.

5. fearincognito

fearincognito Newbie

Truck:
    Looking Forward

Looking forward to see some pictures man, yea sometimes its just so nice to use a puller for some jobs vs beating on it.

6. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    Off to a bad start. Stripped the threads in the Harbor Freight ball joint puller within the first 20 seconds of use.. broke out the hammer and pickle fork and got the job done. Forgot the tie rod end and had to go back and break that too.. tore the boot of course.. on a brand new damn tie rod end.

Then I had to figure out how to get the spring out without it being compressed.. the answer was again the 3lb hammer... too bad that won't be much help getting it back in.

I plan on putting the 76 springs back in as they look a bit shorter but I'm guessing they are a higher spring rate. Anyone have details on that? 72 compared to 76 front springs? I want lower but not if it's gonna knock my teeth out.

New ball joints are in now.. nice and shiny.. now I have to figure out how to get that spring back in without it being compressed because I don't have those little bars to compress it and put it in.. and the one you can rent at advance was the kind that goes in the middle of the spring which is.. well.. useless in this situation. Anyone have any tricks there?

I'm also missing the hardlines from the 76 calipers so I went in search of new lines at advance and came up with jack.. I'm hoping that maybe I can make the old lines for the drums fit but I think all of the fittings are wrong for the caliper. Again.. any advice there?

7. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    Back on the right track this weekend. The right side is mostly back together. Even got the spring back in without compressors. Just got it into position and started jacking it up.. after a bit.. POP.. a little scary but it's in there. Now I need new shocks.. thought I could use what I had but they are dead and while I'm in there I might as well.

Bought some universal poly sway bar end bushings at advance and modified them to fit the sway. Worked fine after some forcing. Also got new rubber bar to chassis bushings too for cheap from rock auto along with new soft brake lines.

I tore the boot of the brand new outer tie rod end getting it off of there so I went in search of just a boot.. no dice.. so I bought an intertube patch kit from harbor freight and just sealed up the crack I put in it. Should hold fine hopefully. So after that goes back on then all I have left is the hardline. I bought a brake line bender tool at HF too so that should help me use the old lines and make what I need new. If they are too brittle or smash then I'll just buy new and borrow a flaring tool and get all new fittings.. too much work for just the weekends.. may have to take a personal day from work this week to get it aced.

8. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    Alright. I took the day off from work to knock out the disc conversion. I didn't make it to the finish line because of some odd hang ups but I'm close.

I take it that the 75-79 wheels are a bit different offset than the pre 75? My wheel rubs on the caliper. I tried grinding down the offending inside edges but it still rubs. So I guess I may have to try and find some 75 wheels that I can still put my dog dishes on because I have all 4 and badly want to run them.

Anyway the passenger side is back on the ground sans hard brake lines but I did use the 76 springs.. They look like even though they are shorter they are a higher rate because the truck sits either the same height or maybe slightly higher.. but it will have to stay that way because I'm not tearing it all apart again right now.

The driver's side is mostly back together now with all of its new stuff and I'm anxious to see if it rubs on the wheel too.. my guess is that it will but there's always a chance that the passenger side rim is just bent to hell.

9. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    So I got the hard lines and later model wheels and got everything back together finally. The front is actually lower than before like I had hoped but not by a ton. The new shocks and sway bushings really make it handle the bumps well but the alignment is still really jacked up. Probably have to leave that to a pro to fix when I get new tires put on.

Also need to bleed the full system. The pedal still needs pumping to be pushed up. Hoping its not a bad master.

10. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    It was indeed a bad master. The front seal was gone. So that's now been replaced and the system has been bled again twice and it still needs pumping. Next up.. I bought a self bleeder. So weather they like it or not the air bubbles are coming out.

In other news the sloppy shifter is now rebuilt! My buddy got me all the bits I needed from Toyota. He's been a toyota mechanic for 25+ years so he's rebuilt a few and knew all the parts I would need. Rebuilding it isn't hard... it's getting the side shifter off of the mount that is the PITA. I should have taken some pics but I didn't. One day I'll just leave a camera out in the garage... or have one o dem fancy phones what takes the pictures and such. Anyway it goes shnick shnick now.

11. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    It's been slow going around here but I do have an update. Not on the brakes.. those are still the scourge of my existence and I haven't even had time to do battle with them. I do have some new pretty bits to share however.

First is this... which I got a while back but never posted:

[​IMG]

Weber DCOE 40 on a single side draft mani for the 18rc. I know the mileage will suck and it will be hell to tune.. but it will SOUND like a bi-plane and that's really all that matters :D I have a rebuilt kit for it and will get to it after the other need-to-have maintenance is done.

So here's today's big score:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A full set of SSR Jilba rip off rims for just $100!! 14x7 with a +0 offset. I believe the kids call it... hellaflush:

[​IMG]

Got them from and old drag racer who has really only owned fords his whole life. Currently has a couple of anglias, a MKII cortina wagon and a handful of other old weird fords.. he is an amazing guy and I'm pretty sure this won't be the last time I get something for the truck from him.

So these REALLY complete that look I'm going for.. now I just have to make the whole thing.. complete. More coming soon for sure. I'm hoping this month will be the last month it just sits in the garage.

12. kmghawaii

kmghawaii Enthusiast

Truck:
    1969 Hilux
    super sick! do u know the exact brand of those wheels? make n model?

13. brovender

brovender Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 Hilux RN27
    I'm so jealous man! I wanna know about the wheels too. If you ever get tired of them lemme know! :lol:

14. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    An update finally!

1. Nope.. no idea who makes the wheels.. but check this out:

[​IMG]

Finally mounted them to 205/70 14 BFG T/As! I got 3 vintage T/As with very little wear and ordered the 4th new. Just got them mounted yesterday and now I'm really keen to get moving on this project again.

It still has no title.. but I'm working on that. After that I'll have it aligned and start driving it once or twice a week. Once the mechanical kinks are all worked out I'll order up a set of moog springs for the front and 2" blocks for the rear. I want to retain some drivability so I don't want to go too low.

More updates to follow.. and in much more rapid succession. Promise.

15. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Looking good dude. Always loved that color. Maybe I'm biased lol

16. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Yup looks just as good on the computer as it did my phone lol

17. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member