Project Fresh Start, Total Truck Rewire, Wiretuck and Motor Swap + more...

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by ShortyzKustomz, Feb 11, 2012.

1. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    Its been a rough few years for my truck... It was my daily driver bagged and shaved up for 3 years. Then 2 years ago, I went into a buddies garage for a winter of work. And has not been on the road since. We did suicides and a my whole new bed inside and out, It has been trailered to 2 shows since. Then the last 8 months I hadnt even seen the truck, Not going into details but was supposed to be getting work done as a deal and it never happened. Meanwhile I started renting my own garage and am getting ready to close on a house with a nice 2.5 car. Ok Fast foward to last month and this build thread. Im not a fan of sloppy wiring, And a wire tuck has been on my list for this truck for years. Combined with the fact that I wanted some more balls for the truck but wanted something that was still decent on gas and reliable (I drive to every show I can) I also wanted something different. I looked at tons of different swaps and somehow kept coming back to one. Now Im sure some of the Toyota purists on this site will hate me now, But the Yota will no longer be Toyota powered. I had decided I was going to use a newer GM 3800 Series II motor. Out the box it almost doubled my horsepower, Plus they are damn near bullet proof. And the fact that they push boats of cars around and still get high 20s mpg. Browsing Craigslist I found a 87 Camaro... The the kid had started swapping a 99 Camaro Drivetrain into. 3800, T5 trans with the entire 99 wiring harness and pedals, Running and driving. Talked him down to $400 and towed it home. Gutted the car and started parting the rest.

Ok enough with my novel I just wrote, Onto the pics and the project

Finally Got My Truck Back (Wheels are gone soon, Was a temporary cheap solution when I sold my Niches, These rims for sale $100 obo :) )
    [​IMG]

And... The donor
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All wiring gone from this side
    [​IMG]

Driver side harness ready for hacking
    [​IMG]

Working on yanking the Yota power
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Victory!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the fun begins
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The driver side harness started like this, with the underhood fuse panel all in one...
    [​IMG]

Take away this extra junk (Notice Fuse Panel in the mix)
    [​IMG]

Down to this, inside the cab, nothing in the bay...
    [​IMG]

Only Visible Headlight Wiring
    [​IMG]

Fenders off to redo front tubs for body drop and hiding all wiring
    [​IMG]

New Drivetrain still in donor car
    [​IMG]

Old vs. New
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The money shot BAM!
    [​IMG]

And gutted, Stripping the last few remains, And hoping someone buys whats left, Hate to scrap a clean titled shell with 79k on it! Especially with me previously having a 13 second Third Gen Camaro and knowing how hard it was to find cheap parts.

[​IMG]

AND thats where we're at now, I got the passenger side harness down to 6 wires... Working on it as much as I can in this rental garage, Cant start replumbing it cause I have a garage-room-mate and need it movable. I will keep working on what I can and updating, And as soon I get it in my own garage, Its ON! More Updates Soon!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    Wow bro its looking good. Real clean. What did you do with those wheel tubs that you removed from the front? Cant wait for more pics.

3. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    Wish you woulda kept it yota or Lexus powered haha but still badass

4. tyme_fo_play

tyme_fo_play Addict

Truck:
    MY PRIDE MY JOY MY TOY!
    :waytogo:

5. ShortyzKustomz

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    Still deciding if Im gonna mod those tubs and tub the firewall or start fresh, If I start over, I'll sell em for a few bucks

It was on my list of possible swaps. Trust me. But it all comes down to, money, dependability and availability or parts. Ive actually made money on this swap so far between selling my 22re and parts off the Camaro, My buddy has 360k on his 3.8 in his Buick and still runs like a top, And theres 1000s of these motors in every junk yard and parts in stock at every Auto Part Store. I love my buddies Lexus powered Yota, Just wasnt in the books for me now. lol

Plus my buddy is a GM Master Tech and just finished his LS1 swap, So hes helping me when I need it on the GM wiring side of things

6. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    The L43 is a great engine. Once you decide you want more power an L67 will bolt right in. The firewall would need some work though due to the intake being on the bellhousing end of the engine and because the blower drive is on the harmonic balancer end. I've been on the lookout for a deal on one for my 78 too. :D

7. ShortyzKustomz

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    Mine is an L36, Pretty sure the L43 was a 2.2 S10 motor...
    Ive seen a few people do L67s in RWDs. Theres actually a pretty nasty KE25 Corolla, That Ive got alot of swap info from, Who changed his over to L67 top end after a while. Hes been an amazing help on my swap info so far. His actually started with a rwd intake and setup like minw, so I learned a ton from his build thread

Heres a video of his :)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R4JSv3uMKqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The L67 swap into a Yota has been done without firewall mod, It required some Aluminum fabrication to the blower itself.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f163/my-yota-has-heart-pontiac-213881/index2.html
    This guy is one of 2 posts Ive found of people doing this swap, Both in 4wds and using Toyota trans and a mix of parts. I know KiwiPushrod on Pirate 4x4 had his NA 3800 swap as his daily for a few years now. Im hoping I dont have to do drastic oil pan mods like the 4wd IFS guys do...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  8. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Crap yes of course its an L36. I've been talking to kiwi since he started the conversion, I'm DWT on pbb. I don't think the camaros pan needs to be modded much for a 2x application. The 4x has the front diff to deal with so major mods are required. I figure the easy way to stick an L67 in my 78 is to just cut the firewall. The heater is below the blower intake so it should be simple.

9. ShortyzKustomz

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    That Corolla I posted, He cut a hole for the intake tube in the firewall and the intake dumped behind where the glove box would be... Kinda cool but I think it would be annoying on the daily

10. Tank

Tank Member

Truck:
    94 scsb
    dang bro thats gonna be sik ! good luck with it

11. Zombie Monarch

Zombie Monarch Veteran

Truck:
    1991 single cab dually hilux
    Lookin' good so far!

12. double_stuff

double_stuff Newbie

Truck:
    93 toyota pickup
    looking good paul! glad u finally got her back and puttin in work on her.

13. ShortyzKustomz

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    No real progress lately, Been closing on a house and getting the wife back in a car since I totalled hers...

This week is looking nice so Im hoping to get more wiring done today

14. ShortyzKustomz

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    Well finally got moved into the new house... Got the truck and motor there, Just got an engine stand and hoist too. Time to do work! Well after I finish moving the rest of the garage this week. My lease runs out Sunday there. THEN its time to do work :)

[​IMG]

15. Zombie Monarch

Zombie Monarch Veteran

Truck:
    1991 single cab dually hilux
    Looks like a nice new home for your toyota! Can we see more pics of the garage?

One day I'll have a nice garage to work in... one day.. haha

16. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Wow looks good in its new home..how big is your garage?

17. 85Toyota

85Toyota Addict

Truck:
    '85 Toyota 22R s-cab
    Been wondering what happened to ya ... Glad to see your Toy finally in it's new home and ready for completion ... Keep the pics and progress comin' ... Can't wait to see it finished ... :cool:

18. ShortyzKustomz

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    2.5 Car.. Been working on setting everything up, Need to get the electrical upgraded, Now there is just 2 breakers over in the house for the whole garage. Time I get a welder and compressor kicking, I'll have no power :)

I'll get some more pictures as I get it all organized and set up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. ShortyzKustomz

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    Still not much progress, been a crazy few weeks, Im the only income in the house right now so money is non-exhistant. Sold my 18s off the truck finally, HOPEFULLY getting my new wheels in the next week, So I can get the frame Z'd and then start figuring motor mounts etc.

Shes looking sad sitting on some Altima steelies and huge tires right now :(

[​IMG]

20. ShortyzKustomz

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    Slow progress, money has been super tight. Started on the brake line tuck. Running them through the firewall and out near the base of the firewall on the passenger side so you will only see a few inches. Starting testing fitment on the motor. Need to figure what Im going to use for manifolds because the factory 99 Camaro ones are hitting near the control arm mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not making the motor mount plates till I get the frame Z'd. Didnt wanna Z the frame till I got wheels.

Picked these up off craigslist for $100 with 80% tread.
    Getting powder coated gloss black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More updates coming soon!