'76 Electrical Problem

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by 3spd, Nov 17, 2011.

1. 3spd

3spd Newbie

Truck:
    76 SR5
    The engine will not turn over, the fuel pump doesn't come on and the wipers and the fan won't run but all the other lights seem to work. The dash lights come on and the headlights work.

Does this sound like my ignition switch is bad? Is there a way to test it?

Some background:

I have a 1976 Pickup with a 20r, 5spd, and a Weber carb with a electric choke.

I hadn't started it in a few months and today I fired it up and it ran great. I had to block the choke closed as it was opening too soon and killing the engine but other than that it was doing great. I let it idle for 10ish minutes then I backed it out of the driveway. When backing out onto the road I killed it and it wouldn't start. It cranked fine but did not try to fire at all.

I let it sit for a bit and tried again with no luck. I added gas to the tank and that wasn't the problem. I tired a little starter spray down the carb, no change. I pulled the plugs and they were black but dry so its running rich (probably from running with the choke jammed closed). I cleaned all the plugs, no change. I put a timing light on it and I am getting power to the plugs. I pulled cly 1's spark plug and grounded it and was getting a spark. I put it back and pulled plug #2 and grounded it and that is when the above problem started. It would no longer crank. All the fuses and fusible links look fine.

Previously on occasion the starter would not engage with the key was turned but it would on the next turn, and sometimes the starter got stuck on. So the switch might have been going out.

Also, any idea on why it stopped running?

Thanks,
    Ryland

2. Ramrod

Ramrod Member

Truck:
    77 pickup
    I have a similar problem and fixed it by just simply adding Premium Gasoline to the equation. It could possibly be a combo of your charging system/bad carb. I have a problem with my choke. It idles fine but once it warms up it acts funky on me. My choke stays open when its supposed to close and floods my engine :(
    Im getting a weber carb, and a gm 1 wire bracket from LCE performance online. This should fix my problem. But so far Premium Gasoline has kept her running good enough as a Daily Driver. Around 60 miles daily (my house to seattle and back). Try this fix. Should cost around 350 bucks. Good luck and dont give up on her!!!

Charles

3. randy20r

randy20r Member

Truck:
    1976 toyota pickup
    bad fuel pump ground ??