Project 1971 HiLux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by toydatto, Mar 7, 2010.

1. swapmeet

swapmeet Enthusiast

Did you plate up any of the front suspension at all? It looks like you cut a lot away, but i didn't see if you put any back.

You're defintely doing it "on a budget" I'll give you that, but i'm concerned about the quality.
    How are your ball joints in terms of maxing out? Does it lay out completely?

I had to do a lot more work on my uppers and lowers, so i'm trying to understand what you've done differently, or perhaps you're just not laying and that explains everything. It looks good from the outside! :shrug:

2. toydatto

toydatto Member

Truck:
    87 Dually, 71 Hilux(sold), 73 Corona MarkII Wagon(sold), 72 Datsun 510 wagon
    Okay, its been a loooong time since I updated so here it is:

I put a muffler on and then routed the exhaust to the rear. After I bought and lowered my '94 last May, I pretty much put the Hilux on hold while I got my wagon ready for JCCS '10. I brought the Hilux back into the garage at the end of December and have been taking care of issues such as replacing the driver's side floor board and cleaning up the interior and working out mechanical stuff. Here it is on the patio with the 94 stock caps as it sat for so many months.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I towed my Datsun out to SoCal with my '94 and a borrowed tow dolly. 1600 miles round trip and it went perfectly! I was amazed at how well the 22re did up the hills with that load. Excellent truck and since I still have only 84,000 miles on it I will have it forever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since the look I'm going for does not require the truck to sit on the frame rails and I need space for zero offset wheels anyway, I am going back to static drop in the front. I probably should have just cut the springs in the first place but the desire to go the 'bag route' was too strong. I learned a lot but the task of air management and trouble shooting was too daunting I guess.:brickknock: I will keep my rear settup the same although I am going to 3" blocks so that nothing hangs down too low and I can pass my state's inspection.

Right now I have 2.5 coils cut off the stock springs. We will see how it rides and I may go with the Bell Tech Mighty Max springs like the http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/suspension-chassis-47/alternative-coil-spring-set-up-7552/ .I plan to reinforce the areas that I removed for the bags and sturdy up the front suspension.

[​IMG]

After much thought and searching I found a set of Enkei 92 replicas that have never been mounted. They were laying around a shop in California for 15+ years and after a little elbow grease polishing here are the results. 15x7+0 with 175/55/15 Kumho tires.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is where she sits at the moment. Trying to work out all the quirks so I can get her registered and on the road.

twizted1 likes this.
  3. Red1979SR5

Red1979SR5 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 Toyota Shortbox, 1992 Mazda B2200, 1972 Datsun PL521
    I love those wheels!!! And dig your wagon too, you should post up a link to your ratsun thread if you havent. :waytogo:

4. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    Stretch those tires some so it'll tuck! Looks great man.

5. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    You UNBAGGED it? Tisk tisk :lol:

6. andysmiley17

andysmiley17 Veteran

Truck:
    82 Diesel
    love it, i just picked up a set of enkei 92's for my truck, mine are 14's though. i just need to figure out what tire size i wanna run. keep it up man!

7. goingnowherefast

goingnowherefast Enthusiast

Truck:
    1965 Stout
    Nice truck. I'm loving this body style more and more.

8. DionTDE

DionTDE Addict

Truck:
    93 single cab 2wd
    You need to bring both the truck and wagon to the cache valley cruise in this year for me to look at! haha
    Cache Valley Cruising Association :: Home

I love the all the vehicles dood. good job. I think the bed height should be matched to the cab and the bed bobbed. It would similar to Lo-Lux but would be tight.

9. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    That is one sic a$$ ride you got there. Keep it up man.

10. toydatto

toydatto Member

Truck:
    Its getting there...roadworthy now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

twizted1 likes this.
  11. Red1979SR5

Red1979SR5 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 Toyota Shortbox, 1992 Mazda B2200, 1972 Datsun PL521
    She is a beauty!!

12. toydatto

toydatto Member

Truck:
    Bags 2.0

Okay- now that its on the road, time to revisit the bags:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I liked the static drop but the lower A arms were a little too close to the crappy Utah pavement. The solution: put the bags back in. Gain a little more drop AND adjustability... imagine that:D Now I need to drop the rear a little more, work on some simple air management and fabricate some front shock mounts. All the crossmembers are within an inch from the ground which is just where I want the stance. I'm going for more of a slammed car look than a railed mini. I will be bringing the truck to JCCS in SoCal this year.

twizted1 likes this.
  13. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    DAAAAMMMNNNNNNN............. Can I haz? :D

14. koich

koich Member

Truck:
    1971 RN12
    Jumping in late on the discussion. I have to repair my passenger side floor panels. How did you repair yours? Did you hammer out the original shape and then weld? Or is there a floor pan in later models re-usable?

15. toydatto

toydatto Member

Truck:
    I just removed everything that was not solid and replaced it with some sheetmetal from my wagon's roof actually. It was the same gauge if not a little thicker. There is structure in there and the pieces were not that large so there is plenty of strength. Put some Hammerite rust paint on the repair, top and bottom. Covered it back up with the rubber mat and called it good.

[​IMG]

16. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    She's looking pretty sexy man

17. dyrti

dyrti Veteran

Truck:
    91 pickup layin' frame, and a 99 mazda b2500 (not a toyota)
    in the words of peter griffin... that thing is freekin sweet.

18. koich

koich Member

Truck:
    1971 RN12
    Thanks. Great job. This is motivating me to get mine running...

19. toydatto

toydatto Member

Truck:
    Thanks guys! Got the back down another 1/2" and now I'm done because I can't even put my finger under the middle crossmember when aired out. I'm very happy with the stance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We are having a little Japanese Classic Car meet here in town tomorrow. Sounds like it will be a good turn out. I will post up pics.

Oh- and since the truck was white originally I sanded off the Toyota letters on the tailgate. Fits with the rat theme too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

twizted1 likes this.
  20. tyme_fo_play

tyme_fo_play Addict

Truck:
    MY PRIDE MY JOY MY TOY!
    Sick keep up the good work..