Hilux 2.0 ------- My 71 Toyota Hilux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by kingtoy, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    Well i dont know if it will or not but i say take it anyway. If it ends up not working then at least you have a good engine you can make some money off of to buy some more parts.

2. 808ra29

808ra29 Member

Well thats the popular eng. for the use in old school corolla's and starlet's. The eng. bay is around the same size. There are tons of aftermarket for them and you can make some really big numbers with them. There is a local guy here that has 1 in his te27 (71-74) corolla in the 9sec down the quarter mile if I'm not mistaken.

3. kingtoy

kingtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    1993 Toyota std cab, 1977 Hilux
    Well I am now thinking that I probably won't do the 3RZ swap simply because there would be so much fabbing, work and cost involved in switching from carb'd to EFI. I know so of you are saying just go for it, but this truck is going to be a nice runabout, parts getter, weekend shower maybe. I have several other projects that I plan to get more involved in so I want to put this on the road with as little cost and effort as possible.

I am now starting to lean toward maybe putting a 2T-C in it. I am working out some details on the possibility of it. I still have not discounted the idea of doing a 20R either.

4. koich

koich Member

Truck:
    1971 RN12
    That's smart of you to stay focused. Sticking with the original plan is sometimes hard initially but allows you to move forward with the larger picture.

As for a 2T-C swap, I'm assuming the oil pan sump is on the front, so it will most likely hit your crossmember. I know this because my RA20 Celica had a R series block, and I specifically picked up a T series cross member in Japan so I could swap in my F20C which had the sump in the front. The F20C ended up being a taller motor so I still had to notch the cross member even more.

[​IMG]

5. kingtoy

kingtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Well the truck is setup for a mid-sump pan.

I wonder if I swap to a 2nd gen Hilux crossmember and steering if that would be better.

Can anyone tell me if the 2nd Gen Hilux's had crossmember setup for a rear sump pan?

6. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    2nd gen (73-78) are the same as what you have. rear steer requires the front sump.

7. kingtoy

kingtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Well a front sump won't work in my truck. The factory layout is for a mid sump. If I mess with the steering I might be able to make a rear sump work.

8. kingtoy

kingtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Ok people. I just can't decide which way to go on the motor situation. I have been waffling back and forth with different ideas, EFI or carb'd, 20/22R or other. Finding something that will fit in the truck or modifing parts or pices of the truck to fit, like the oil pan or crossmember.

I am currently stuck between 3 choices.

1) 20/22R. I currently have a 20R short block that will need alot of work. If it can even be saved at all. It does have the correct oil pan being mid sump to fit in the truck. If this block doesn't work I thought about finding a new 20R motor and using the old pan and pickup tube.

2) 2TC/3TC. I have a disassembled 2TC right now. I also have a line on a Corolla that I can yank the complete drivetrain out of. The drawback to this is that the stock pan won't work in the truck. I would either have to modify the pan or change the crossmember.

3) Other motor to be named later. Like maybe even another 18RG or even a 4AG, something twin cam. This is an idea I have been tossing around. When Cody dragged this truck back originally it had a 18RG in that is now in his Celica. A 4AG would be cool cause there are lots of parts and it is small enough for the truck, and you can make them carb'd.

So anyway I am just looking for some ideas and imput. Remember, this is not my primary project. I just want to be able to get it on the road and start driving it.

9. PKile

PKile Newbie

Truck:
    93 standard bed regular cab 2WD 22RE
    If you could find an 18RG that would be sweet. The twincam (G) versions of the base (C) motors usually were set up to virtually drop in, many used the same throttle linkage and exhaust A-pipes as the base motors. A buddy of mine put a 2TG engine in an early Corolla and it just dropped in - the throttle linkage rod for the sidedraft Mikunis snapped right onto the bellcrank ball on the firewall. The only disadvantage of going with an early G motor is they are getting very long in the tooth and parts are not plentiful any more.

10. kingtoy

kingtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Well finally had a new development. After using a piece of square tubing and a fairly big hammer. We were finally able to free all the pistons in that 20R block I have. The crank rotates around now pretty well, and the cylinder walls don't look as bad as I thought.

Looks like I will be putting a 20R in my 71 after all. :D Who knows I may rebuild it with 22R pistons so make the final motor like a hybrid.

11. kingtoy

kingtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Well after junkyard hunting last weekend in Oklahoma. I found me a really great 20R head. So now I have a whole 20R mocked up and ready to be rebuilt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I pulled it, it had a later 20R valvecover with the plastic oil cap. I had this valve cover in storage with the sweet old metal oil cap. I think I will paint the cover wrinkle black with polished highlights.

12. mrwizard

mrwizard Member

Truck:
    1970 Hilux
    That crossmember looks bomber, Koich! I really like that direction for clearance on the bottom end.

13. kingtoy

kingtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Still looking for some parts help with this truck. If anyone has any spare parts, or knows where some are please let me know.

14. kingtoy

kingtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    I am now looking to sell this truck.

I am looking to get $300 O.B.O.

It has a good Texas title. Steering is not fully connected and has no motor of course so it will need to be trailered.

15. driftwhat

driftwhat Member

Truck:
    1970 toyota hilux
    Are u willing to part it out bro? I really need the front Passenger fender and the top and bottom valance. No luck so far trynna find parts for this truck. Im also located in cali tho but still U think u can help me out?

16. kingtoy

kingtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    I actually changed my mind and decided to keep it... Sorry.

17. 86extTURBO

86extTURBO Veteran

Truck:
    1986 ext cab Turbo
    you wana sell it now?

18. kingtoy

kingtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Hmmm, maybe. Shoot me an offer.

19. 86extTURBO

86extTURBO Veteran

Truck:
    1986 ext cab Turbo
    i wish i had money i would im just really in love with the 70 body style

20. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux

Dibs... Been looking for one as my dad had one growing up... Pm sent! :waytogo: