1988 toyota pickup 143k in the north ga mtns

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bcondetti, May 16, 2023.

1. bcondetti

bcondetti Newbie

Truck:
    1988 TOYOTA PICKUP 2WD
    1988 toyota pickup i just bought from an older lady for $800. one owner until me and has been regularly maintained at the shop i work at. has few small dents and dings but nothing major. bone stock 143k miles. only thing missing is the radio and door speakers and cig lighter. they had it for sale a year or two ago for 2500. they were going to take it to the junkyard before i was able to work out a deal with them. runs great and look forward to building it how i want

Attached Files:

83pickup, LOTOTA-1988 and _Quickfox like this.
  2. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Wow, where's everyone's manners? Hi! Cool truck! Welcome to toyotaminis !! A dark crab hole in the ocean of old internet that no one uses because ppl don't do long form narrow audience specific focus sites anymore ...

..did I mention welcome ^_^

83pickup, Erwin Merida and bcondetti like this.
  3. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

..did I mention manners gentlemen?

bcondetti likes this.
  4. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Welcome! Always good to hear another truck saved from the scrapper.

_Quickfox and bcondetti like this.
  5. bcondetti

bcondetti Newbie

Truck:
    1988 TOYOTA PICKUP 2WD
    thanks guys. i've always wanted a mini truck but never really saw it happening. this one just fell in my lap. i've started with some lighting upgrades first because i cant see at night lol. really look forward to building this truck and glad to be part of the community

_Quickfox likes this.
  6. LOTOTA-1988

LOTOTA-1988 Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Toyota Pickup 2WD
    Welcome! I too have a 1988 2wd and also live in north Georgia. Not quite in the mountains but not far from them. Do you have any plans for this saved little gem?

bcondetti likes this.
  7. bcondetti

bcondetti Newbie

Truck:
    1988 TOYOTA PICKUP 2WD
    i'm up near the tri state area about 20-30 minutes from GA,TN, and NC lines. definitely plan to do drop spindles. i'd like to eventually go weber 32/36 and exhaust. i've got many things id like to do as this is the first vehicle ive had in a while that wasnt a family vehicle lol wife is all aboard on all my ideas so thats a plus. first mods thus far have been lighting bc i cannot see hardly with factory light set up. the passenger bumper bracket is bent so ive got one on the way. just some little things first but definitely have plenty in mind

LOTOTA-1988 and _Quickfox like this.
  8. LOTOTA-1988

LOTOTA-1988 Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Toyota Pickup 2WD
    You can go with drop spindles but not necessary with your truck. Just turn the bolts that hold the torsion bars and that will lower your front end. The only thing you need to buy are lowering blocks for the rear. That's how I lowered mine 35 years ago. This forum is full of info. You can find most anything if you have time to look for it

bcondetti likes this.
  9. bcondetti

bcondetti Newbie

Truck:
    1988 TOYOTA PICKUP 2WD
    yea i had looked into lowering it with the torsion bars and lowering blocks but had read that you'd pay for it in ride quality. i'll be daily driving it for the most part and would probably rather spend the extra money for it

_Quickfox likes this.
  10. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Im in the savannah, GA area.

I had this at one time and its decent on gas and fun to rip around in.

End goal, do u wanna go static or bagged?

If static, just get the drop spindles and renotch the torsions and for the rear do blocks. This will help for daily driving. U can get air shocks for the rear or a coilover.

Air bags, do the research as ive never owned a bagged truck.

bcondetti and _Quickfox like this.
  11. LOTOTA-1988

LOTOTA-1988 Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Toyota Pickup 2WD
    I put Doesch Tech Nitro Slammer shocks on mine and the ride isn't bad at all. These are shorter than normal shocks. It's a lowrider and will have shorter travel so it's not gonna ride like grandma's Buick. I went down 3" in suspension and another 2" with rims/tires. I would love to do a body drop with airbags but my Z-Rack would have to go. Not quite ready for that yet

_Quickfox likes this.
  12. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

That's your truck in the thumbnail?

I gone down a total of 9" with drop and tires; special lowrider magic..but I need a notch def.

Edit* hai, sry to thread jack u bcondetti /:

13. bcondetti

bcondetti Newbie

Truck:
    1988 TOYOTA PICKUP 2WD
    static-ish. id like to be low but functional enough to slide it a bit eventually. ill be daily driving it to work but want to be able to go out and cruise or have a little fun in it. this is very similar to what id like to do https://images.app.goo.gl/3GfV7gS5Fdqvu8eu5

although part of me has half a mind to drop it, throw some steelies, goodyear eagles (yellow lettered lol), 302 swap it (have a couple 302 motors), throw some winston cup contingency stickers on it and boom. nastruck

maybe one day. maybe not. but for now i'll keep it relatively simple as my bronco 2 and 4runner will be requiring the majority of my attention soon

no need to apologize about the thread quickfox, all good here. glad to hear other folks input and experiences with their builds

_Quickfox likes this.
  14. LOTOTA-1988

LOTOTA-1988 Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Toyota Pickup 2WD
    Yep, that's it. It sat for about 25 years so I am in the process of returning it to its prime. New tires, radiator, hoses, brakes, etc. Hoping to have it rolling soon

_Quickfox likes this.
  15. LOTOTA-1988

LOTOTA-1988 Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Toyota Pickup 2WD
    Love the stance in those photos but if you're concerned about ride quality, those tires will be your only suspension. No where for them to travel with the fender on them

_Quickfox likes this.
  16. bcondetti

bcondetti Newbie

Truck:
    1988 TOYOTA PICKUP 2WD
    yea idk that i would quite have it that low, more so i guess the "poke", as quickfox would call it, that that trucks got. with a little bit more meat on the tire. id prefer not to have much wheel/fender gap but i'd rather have a little to allow for travel than sacrifice ride quality.

17. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    How low is low for u?

Cheap way: rear blocks and lower torsion bars/flip ball joints (recommend notching torsion bars so u dont hit them on speed bumps)

Decent: spindles or lower control arms; rear blocks. Just need decent shocks for the measured travel.

Top: do the front from "decent", but get lowered drop leafs for the rear (weight capacity will be lowered)

Would also suggest a rear sway bar and upgrade front. If u can find a dually, those be best.

_Quickfox likes this.
  18. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 22R Long Bed 5-Speed
    Welcome! and Nice! Glad to see a truck saved from the grave, the gall of some people to send a good car to the scrapper o_O can't ever understand that logic. I like those 84-88 trucks too since they're also squarey like the previous generation (like my truck). I can probably find the part # for your missing cig lighter, granted they're still available somewhere. :waytogo:

_Quickfox likes this.