WHAT WILL FIT?

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by bcondetti, May 16, 2023.

1. bcondetti

bcondetti Newbie

Truck:
    1988 TOYOTA PICKUP 2WD
    i just bought an 88 pickup stock with 143k miles. i intend to do the belltech spindle drop kit. what kind of wheel tire combo will fit with no rubbing/ fabrication needed? would like something that will tuck but still look a little beefy. 16x10? 18x8? 15x9? i know offset matters but i'm just curious what will fit with no other major modifications

Attached Files:

2. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Really depends on the look you're going for; have you played around with the willtheyfit calculator? Great learning tool if you can picture things in your head a little, and use measurements of wheels you can get to fit well, understanding offset/backspace and knowing how to measure or better yet estimate, will help you spec wheels you like. Play around with stuff you have access to, order spacers for fun; much cheaper then wheels that don't fit :duh::verdict_in:

As for what fits..I run 14xUmm I forgot :lol:

Ppl run 18s sure :looney:

Best cheap wheels are what you find cheap; Oooo, those panther body bbs baskets are awesome! If it fits a mustang yes. Jeep Cherokee wheels yuh..

Ride highth will effect what rubs and does not..no joke more low and less wheel is usually the best route, interpret that how you want.

Mmm a lot of ppl like 16x8

bcondetti likes this.
  3. bcondetti

bcondetti Newbie

Truck:
    1988 TOYOTA PICKUP 2WD
    i'll have to check that calculator out, didnt know it existed. i'd prefer to stay in the 15-16 inch ballpark but wouldnt be opposed to a little bigger with the right fitment. definitely intend to do the belltech drop spindles. i just want it dropped and wide lol

4. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

I got the beltech spindles and can confirm they go low! Wide is hard to do well on these trucks, if poke is what you want be prepared to sacrifice lowness..I chose low; that said I do have a tiny amount of poke.

17s about as big as you can go and pull off "stanced" "fitment" (notice I separated the two, specific yet subjective) I made a post about the 2wd fender and massive pulling/fanning technique, look for pics ( :

bcondetti likes this.
  5. bcondetti

bcondetti Newbie

Truck:
    1988 TOYOTA PICKUP 2WD
    i just found the thread you were talking about. do the 4x4 fenders allow more clearance? id like poke for sure. and some squat. not so much tucking. one of the photos that you posted in the thread (the charcoal colored one like mine) is very much along the lines of what im going for

6. BRASS MONKEY

BRASS MONKEY Newbie

So, Cherokee wheels will fit? Do you know if they need spacers/grinding or is it a match?

I just found some decent Cherokee wheels, but a little concerned about housing wheels that I can't use or find another home for

_Quickfox likes this.
  7. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Haha, yes "xj" Cherokee wheels fit..old wrangler wheels as well. Old Ford Ranger yes..pick a year and search Google for bolt patterns..as for backspacing we don't need to worry much when looking for poke, but important factor fr.

As for spacers and grinding..our trucks are granted with one of the easiest bolt patterns to find 14-17" deep dish wheels..the biggest thing you gotta watch out for is too much negative offset, or too wide of a wheel, risk looking like a goof and sacrificing lowness (how you don't look like a goof #opinionfacts)

Wide wheels may not require cutting, but if you want it to look good, you gotta get creative and that's the fun part.

BRASS MONKEY likes this.
  8. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Surprisingly not so much, the 4x4 fender give more room for turning when you have tucked rim fitment, but offer surprisingly little advantage with poke; you'll just have to run wider wheels to chase that aggressive fitment.

If you don't find at least some tire to tuck, it's sorta silly going for a lot of poke. That Grey one is sweet, buut it prolly rubs a lot, which is honestly so fun sometimes and not ideal.

This is a body style that if you want bmw fitment you gotta work pretty hard at it, and it usually rubs.

I find that unbolting the bottom fasteners on the fenders saves me from having to drive like a total granny, and I'm only running 1cm of poke in the rear and smol wheels..

Make sure you click or tap the images in that other thread to see them full size!

bcondetti and BRASS MONKEY like this.
  9. BRASS MONKEY

BRASS MONKEY Newbie

Gotcha, thanks! I keep reading about the center bore being the issue. Some comments have talked about grinding. The bolt pattern, I'm familiar with. If it's good to go, I just got some cool rims, I think lol

10. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

This is a good point, if I've had to grind it was minimal, if the bore is to large hubcentric rings..sometimes the bolt that keeps your drum on interfear take it off. Most aftermarket wheels I've got from xjs had large center bore.

The race wheels I run now have no hub centric interface and are therfore lug centric in design..sketchy probably.

The cool old school factory wheels some xjs had might have needed what I would call massaging to fit. Mild grinding

BRASS MONKEY likes this.