1. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    New fuel rail is installed! It doesn't really show, as it is essentially a black rectangle under the plenum, but I like that about it.
    Resized_20220510_174352.jpeg

While doing the swap, I was able to check all of the electrical and vacuum connections, as well as fuel lines. Everything looked good. I started the engine, and let it idle in my driveway. Sure enough, when it got up to temperature, the AFR shot up. I wasn't tpuching the gas pedal, it was at constant idle, so I don't think that the AFM has a sticky barn door.

Running lean means that it is getting too much air, or not enough fuel, right? What would cause that to happen only once it is up to temp?

Toyotashack likes this.
  2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Sounds like a sensor going out.. but which one.. idk there are a few sensors that feed info to the ECU that can change the parameters and adjusts either fuel or timing.. is your voltage dropping? Low voltage can make electrical sys. act funny too. Check your charge side of the turbo and make sure there are no cracks, they can expand with heat.

#foodforthought

3. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I've messed around with a few things, some of which made things run better, somw of which made things run worse, but in the end I think that thungs are working just fine!

I went for a drive tonight. I let the engine heat up in the driveway for 15 minutes, then drove for about half an hour. highest speed was around 35, but everythung was smooth. AFRs were on point, temps were looking good, and idle seemed smooth.

4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I don't remember if you mentioned checking the cold start injector time switch.. that's one variable that stops adding fuel once hot.. #foodforthought

5. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I had run thungs with all of the sensors unplugged, and unplugged, and had the same results. I ended up installing the LCE fuel mixture adjustment knob thing, and played with that for a while. I could get the AFRs right while driving, but at idle they were out of wack. It would run lean, I would turn the knob to rich, and get close to stochio, then it would drop lean dradtically, turning it ul would go back waaay lean.

I installed a backup O2 sensor, and hooked that back up to the ECU instead of my PLX, and things are back to good.

I ran the engine hot, then turned on the radiator fans, headlights, interior fans, and the stereo to drag the alternator, and things still ran on point, so I will assume the best.

Short test ride last night, longer one this morning, tomorrow I will try to get on the highway and out of town! fingers crossed that I make it back without pushing

Erwin Merida likes this.
  6. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Things have been runnin quite well lately. I've gone on a few longer drives lately, and other than temps being a little low, I'm happy with the driving.

I went ahead and got a billet brake pedal to match the gas pedal. Now all I need is a billet dead pedal for the foot rest.
    Resized_20220628_112521.jpeg

7. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    AFRs still crayz?

8. Justin Danger

Truck:
    No, I went back to the stock o2 sensor which seemed to solve those issues.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  9. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I have been trying to mess around with my F.A.S.T. ignition, and can't seem to get my engine to rev above 5.8k. I've been turning the rev limiter knobs on the Hi-6s unit, and can get the limit to various numbers below 5.8k, but can't seem to get anything above that. Is there a limiter in my ECU? I've got a lot going on with my engine to trust it over 6k, but can't seem to get it there.

10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Doing a basic websearch yes it would have a limiter. First thing I saw though it was over 6k just on a standard 22re.

11. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    22re rev cut off is 6200 I believe

12. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Took the ol' gal out for a drive through the hills tonight. I've been a bit timid to drive up there, considering that is where she broke down before my rebuild. Things went amazingly well! I do think that I have to get a new thermoatat, because descending for an extended period in a cool fog got temps below 70*C. other than cool temps, the drive was an absolute blast. No over heating issues, even climbing when it was warm out. The new 8" tires are freakin amazing! I gained more and more confidence in her handling, and reached a point where I think that the truck can outdrive me.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  13. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    That's awesome. Hard work pays off!

14. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    You thinking you might have a stuck thermostat?

15. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Yeah, I'll pull it, and check it. I do believe that I have a spare one around if I need to pop it in.

16. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Well, I did some things...

Resized_20220731_190822.jpeg

I've been running the FAST ignition for a few weeks, and now put on the 5m AFM.

I think I need to tighten the actuator on my turbo's wastegate. With the new intake stuff I have been hitting a limit on acceleration. It isn't the rev limiter, but feels kinda the same. I also think that my boosy gauge has gone bad, because it doesn't read above 4, and I used to see 10 on it.

oh, and yes, the new intake barks like a mad dog when I get up in the revs.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  17. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I was doing some research on this thing and some guys had problems not starting once switched over to the FAST, having to use an msd tach adapter to correct it. What kind of issues did you have (if any) and do you really believe it gave you better spark? Or is it mainly to manipulate timing?

18. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I had to reset my timing when I insralled it. If they didn't do that, it may have led to their issues with starting.

I don't know if my spark is any better, I really don't notice a difference. I do have the boost proportional retard set up sitting in a box, and will install that when I get a chance.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  19. Justin Danger

Truck:
    ever since I switched to the 5M afm and larger intake tubing I have been having engine cutoff issues. When I get to 4ish psi of boost the engine cuts our like it is hitting its rev limiter. Any RTE guys out there know why this is? maybe how to bypass this issue?

20. Justin Danger

Truck:
    20230119_222149.jpg
    Had a good chat with a gentleman who caught a glimse of my old school Toyota patch on my vest last night. When I told him I had an '86 pickup parked out front, he said 'show me'. Turns out I was parked next to his highlander. I popped the hood, and we talked Toyota for a while; I've had a couple, he has had a few. Good times with a total stranger, but one of our community. We are all part of something strange and special. Respect to y'all Toyota heads, and happy 2023

jetas likes this.