build suggestions

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by The Jolly Rancher, Oct 30, 2020.

1. The Jolly Rancher

The Jolly Rancher Newbie

Hey every one! I am currently working on a build and not sure which route I want to take. The truck is an 83 with the 22r currently. I want a fun race truck, the 22r needs to come out. my previous builds include mustangs, rx7, supras,BMW, AUDI, etc. New to the truck world. I need a new power plant I have already started reinforcing the frame for added power(thinking 600 or so) what engine would you recommend? Keep in mind I had a few ideas myself but wanted to get everyone else's thoughts and opinions. Also keep in mind i live at an altitude of over 8k feet so carb is out as well.

The second part to this is suspension. I want to either go complete coil over and lower it a bit or airbags. I have 0 experience with airbag personally if i went the airbag route it would be strictly for comfort of ride and adjust ability on the fly. I have yet to find a coil over conversion kit or much info on what would work for this truck. Maybe someone here does?

I know there will be lots of fabrication here and i have the money to spend. I can do almost all of the work myself , and have a welder on hand when needed. unfortunately the information on the truck world for lower race is not there. If I wanted to lift it there are a million resources but nothing for what im looking for. Thank you all in advance.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    @stabfab has a coilover set up for the front of the newer trucks that might work for your application. I wana say the front suspension didnt change too much from 79-95.

easy cheap power of course is going to be an LS.

3. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Opinions ahead:

Please don't stick an LS engine in it! Any Tom Dick or Joe can stick an LS in anything and brag to all his friends about it, but it takes away from the fact that it is a Toyota truck. I've seen UZ swaps and JZ swaps that put out plenty of power, and keep it in the Toyota family. If you don't live in a state with CARB restrictions the JDM motors are easy to find, cheap, and can be found with a trans.

If you want a "race truck" then coil overs would be the way to go, airbags just add weight and complications. I think air bags are wonderful for a cruiser or show truck laying frame, but if you are serious about racing, you want a simple setup that is easy to fix on the fly, and doesn't add weight with pumps and ballasts.

jetas or stabfab: Is that front coilover conversion kit ready? I've been keeping a keen eye out for that

Super interested in this build, and can't wait to see what you come up with!

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Not sure, i wana say he may have part of it ready but the control arms were still in the works. Dont quote me on any of it tho

5. The Jolly Rancher

The Jolly Rancher Newbie

I had plans for 2jz I will not go ls. Its a great motor etc. but everyone does ls in everything. 1jz runs about 3k 2j 6 to 7k. I need to change the rear suspension as well. I have seen the front kits. Just need to figure out the rears for some better traction and handling.

6. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I've heard a lot of great things about Ford 8.8 rear end swaps in these trucks. I think yotarip used one on his UZ swapped truck.

7. The Jolly Rancher

The Jolly Rancher Newbie

I thought about going ford 9 inch with suspension from a mustang then I could go qa1 or similar.

8. The Jolly Rancher

The Jolly Rancher Newbie

my other idea was going rb26dett and install the AWD system from the skyline.

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Thats a lot of work. Might want to cut up the body of the skyline and throw the pickup on that. Someone did that with a sc300 and one of these trucks.

10. The Jolly Rancher

The Jolly Rancher Newbie

I'm a tech, the work does not scare me. In all honesty the 2j or 1j are probably the route I will go

11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    There's a lot of work arounds trying to do something like that. Theres a good chance that tons of things are going to be unserviceable with the drive train in because it being tight. I've learned this from my build that has a common motor swap. I can't even bleed the clutch without pulling the slave off the bell housing. Going the grafting route can save you years of headaches, keep serviceability, and keep from maybe not getting done.

12. Markus Vandevender

Markus Vandevender Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    Hey now I love my LS hahah. I was against it originally too, but the really nice thing is the sheer amount of aftermarket support, and how easy and cheap it is to find another one when you blow it up. Cant beat it really.

However a 2J is probably the best option to be able to easily route exhaust past the frame rails, considering the exhaust exits passenger side and you don't have a steering box in the way. (that is if you don't get rid of the steering box and go rack and pinion)

And yeah the 8.8 rear is a great option, it retains the 5x4.5 bolt pattern, and if you can center the axle by using 2 short side shafts, and cutting 2.875in out of the longside tube. its still around 3in wider than stock centered, but with a power application a staggered wheel with a positive offset in the rear solves that.

13. The Jolly Rancher

The Jolly Rancher Newbie

Nothing wrong with an LS just everyone does it. I was going to really upset the world and go with an rb26 with their AWD system. My only concern as of now is i really want either a 4 link suspension or irs with coilovers and get rid of the leaf spring. I cant seem to find much info on this. I have heard the rx7 setup may work but wish someone could give me some more insight.

14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Driftworks used the subframe from a miata in a first gen. The differential probably won't handle the power you are after but I'm sure they have simple swap ins because of ls miatas.

15. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I may have become a purist or some sort of cynic over the years of caring for my Toyota truck, but I feel that if you are going to swap in a miata subrfame, you might as well just drive a miata.

Feel free to criticize, I enjoy the debates of a build (-:

16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Not to go in a whole debate in this thread but the track width would be about the same and the weight of the miata is about the same as a toyota pickup. Its a nice package that you could make fit.

To the author the front subframe is another thing to look at. If you look into the driftwork hilux build its all miata suspension and you can get some ideas. The only thing I can think of being different is the frame width. Might by why you have heard of the rx7 suspension conversion.

17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    S13 parts can be plentiful and have a good aftermarket support

18. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    When I dream up builds like this I try to keep everything Toyota. Lexus SC and IS series are what caught my eye for swapping suspension subframes. The IS is somewhere around 58-59" WMS and the SC platform is wider at around 62"+ WMS - both of these retain the same 5x114 lug pattern....I think both the Miata and S13/240sx are only 4-lug

My latest fantasy build for my truck is IS suspension subframe swapped both front and rear. I'd probably go turbo'd 2/3rz since the engine is abundant (1st gen Tacoma) put out ridiculous HP like a 2jz-turbo does...but they're like 200lbs lighter and smaller. Heck, even the 1uz weighs less than a 2jz

19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    There are easy 5 lug swaps for S13's

Perkolator likes this.