My 1972 Gen2 build

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by jetas, Jan 11, 2016.

1. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Got the control arms back from powder on saturday. Had a buddy come by and help me wrestle the cross shafts back and FUCK! I hope i never have to do them again. Torquing them was a bitch. But we got it done and the front suspension is buttoned up. Looks so dope and i finally fee like im getting somewhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RN23CB likes this.
  2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Are those different control arms? I remember looking at mine before and it seemed like a lot would need to be cut out to fit a decent size bag in there. Looks good.

jetas likes this.
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Factory control arms. Pie cut uppers and modded lowers raising the BJ mount i believe 1.25" maybe 1.5" cant remember exactly. Also cut out the OE spring pocket while retaining the stock UCA mount location. Airlift 2500 bags, 2600 would fit but you would need to pocket the frame

looking back now, i should have relocated the uppers a little higher to get rid of some of the camber.

Pearce likes this.
  4. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    Do you still have the ability to take out the shims from the lowers to fix camber?

jetas likes this.
  5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The shims on the uppers? Yes. I basically made a stand off from the frame to the stock UCA mounting point and used the factory UCA mount.

macawilial likes this.
  6. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    My bad. Yes, I need to do this

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    If you need any guidance let me know. Il be happy to help

8. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    Man, one day I hope to get the fit and finish on my truck half as good as this one. the gauges are by far my favorite... they look good and are extremely useful to boot.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thanks bro but Trust me man im trying hard to make this truck look decent. It has many flaws that pictures arent showing lol

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Well this weekend i tore it down some more. Chopped out the crossmember behind the cab, cut the bag mounts off and removed the gas tank mounts. Located where im going to mount up the air bag on the lower bar and im piecing together some upper cups. Im going to get some round tube to attach the cups to the frame and im going to make the two upper link bars into a wishbone. Im simplifying and complicating it a little but im hoping its going to be dope when its all done. Heres a couple of pics, not much to see

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

11. Carson

Carson Newbie

What kind of headlights did you swap and what did you have to do to swap them

12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Low beams are BMW projectors. Dont remember if i pulled them from an old 5 series or a 3 series. I had to cut the hole on the headlight mounting bracket bigger so the housing would fit in. Trim some tabs on the light itself and trim some of the core support. High beams are jist regular sealed beams

13. Carson

Carson Newbie

Cool, thanks. I might have to do the same, I also was wondering what you were going to do for the grill with that setup, I have a 74 rn22 I like the 75+ grills a lot better but don’t know what would need to be done.

14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Need the 75+ valance. The tabs for the old style grille dont line up with the 75+. Ive just secured mine on with zip ties.

15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Picked up 10' of round tube yesterday. Cant wait to get in the garage and start working on this thing over the weekend.

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Another weekend down and a little more progress made. Started on the new trans mount with some 4 link end bushings from Thor Bros and flat plate i have at home. Got it mostly roughed out and the general idea set up.

i also chopped the upper link bars and some square tube to make up the wishbone and front mount. Well atleast one side of the wishbone mount. Still a long way to go.

No pics this time, nothing worth showing anyway.

17. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

Wow, I hadn't looked at this thread in a minute and the truck is really coming along. The work you've put in has been amazing!

jetas likes this.
  18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thanks dude. Still got a long way to go but im getting there

19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Took a couple weeks away from the truck to get other stuff around the house done and because i was short on welding supplies. But i was able to get in the garage this weekend and finish up the tranny xmember. And i have to say it came out pretty good. It aint pretty or perfect but its under the truck and no one gonna see it but me so who cares. Painted it gloss black but here it is in raw metal[​IMG]

20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    My buddy had c notch welded up made of 2x3. So i cut out the center section of the OE xmember and cut the notch to fit. I cut a hole off the top and made a template of the mounting holes and done.

i ended up modifying it again a while after that so it wouldnt hand down as far