73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Not 100% for this idea but I'm thinking about solid motor mounts. I've looked into a few other things as well. Might just need the right mounts. Seems like I could find some oem ones that are thinner. Might get me in the right spot. But I'm thinking plate with a nut welded and maybe some sort of rubber. Kind of in a rush to get it out of the shop so this may be my best move for time. Then I'll redo it later after I hate all the noise and have time again.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I had to shoehorn my engine in place after swapping to new mounts. Big ass screwdriver as a prybar worked

3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Did you use the mounts that are like 3 inches thick?

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Pretty sure. They were just stock replacements i got from rock auto. When i pulled the engine out recently they were already formed into a wedge and still needed some convincing to go back into place

5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I had no luck i would need some thinner ones to make it work. The replacement mount make it way to wide. Not even some motivation would make it work.

6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Made a crude mount for the passenger side. Used the replacement on the drivers. Had to add a spacer to get it close to level. I pushed the motor to the passenger side though. Might just have to make up one for the drivers side. Not 100% sure if its a problem yet. Seems like it interferes with the firewall when the transmission is on. Spent hours trying to get the tranny in myself with a couple of jacks. Came really close after dropping it a few times. Then I started to look at the bolt holes and dowel pins. One location hole was not on the bell housing so I would of never got it on. So I pulled the motor and mated up on the ground after drilling the hole for the dowel. Thinking I might just try putting it is as one unit with a leveler.

Pic of my crude ass mounts. The passenger side will act as a solid mount. Its not really isolated from the frame. I would need another piece of rubber acting as a washer to isolate it.

Scratching the bay to all hell. Touch up paint will fix that though when I'm done. Also need to get a different fan that will go on front being a pusher. Looks like I can only fit a 10" fan. Don't have the room between the motor and radiator for a fan. And I don't see much of a good way to tuck the radiator. 1599269587040_283163450_3b56b037.jpg

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Wonder what combo of brackets your engine has. Shit shouldve all worked

8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Engine and transmission are in and bolted down. Got help from my brother. Didn't end up using a leveler. It mostly just needs filled and plug stuff in to be done. Hooked up a bunch of odds and ends today. Like sorting out the throttle linkage. Also need to find some different filters for the sidedrafts. They hit the tub. Anyway a pic of it sitting in the bay. 1599697096506_6309426128_3b56b037.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    jetas likes this.
  10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    ITBs always look nice on these engines

Pearce likes this.
  11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Looks and sound is why I got them lmao. Not itb's though they have some that look like the weber dcoe's. But your talking about a 2000 plus in parts without engine management. I was thinking about them before I started looking at standalone ecu's prices. And nearly forgot you got to get injectors for most kits. That can get pricey.

jetas likes this.
  12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    :verdict_in: I meant side drafts. My bad. :duh:

Pearce likes this.
  13. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    I see the most expensive stickers on your dash. That's like at least $1,500 worth.

14. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    And 15 horsepower!

15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Not going to lie its way more then 1500 bucks worth or stickers.

16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Well the big fire up happened today. Just did a quick start. It came right to life after going though the checklist. Probably going to do my cam break in tomorrow.

Perkolator and jetas like this.
  17. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Broke in the cam today along with some other little things. Still have some air in the system to get out. I had planned on taking it home today because its in a state I can work from home but as I was pulling out my tie rod broke finally. Better now then on the road. Got all the parts ordered for that. I was happy to find out my clutch works. Replacing the master and slave I thought I would be fighting it.

18. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Just a little sound bite. I'm pretty sure the ticking is the dui distributor. Thats where the stethoscope was pointing to. Also I think the crank pulley is grinding on the pump. I can't find the sound internally. I've read about this problem before.

Reading up on it more it could be slipping. Found a video that was a lot like the sound i got. Got a new harmonic balancer on order. Hoping that takes care of it. Then I just got to figure out whats up with the dizzy.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    RN23CB and Perkolator like this.
  19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Wired in my gauges today. Worked on some of my other wiring as well like lighting and the fan. For some reason my turn signals aren't working. Should be an easy fix though.

20. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Finally got the radiator fan installed. Let me tell you that upgrading to a bigger radiator is a huge pain with these trucks. I forget what truck its ment for but its a 3 row. The biggest problem is the fan. With the 20r/22r and more then likely the 18r you don't have much space between the motor and radiator. I had 2 inches for the water pump nipple with the radiator right up against the core support. The best smallest puller fan you can get it 2 1/16th". Also you can really tuck the radiator unless you want to cut into the frame. Wasnt going to do that. So pusher was the best bet. But you only have about a 10 inch opening. I picked up a mishimoto race line straight blade 10" fan pushing 1600 plus cfm. It was still a tight fit. I had to push the radiator closer to the motor to get the space I need and keep the latch support. I still have over an inch between the motor and radiator. Right now I just have the relay wired to a switch on the dash. I'll see how it does soon. It's annoyingly loud though. I looked into seeing if a 16 inch spal high proformance fan could fit but I didn't have any luck.

Along with the radiator I replaced the harmonic balancer. Pretty sure it was slipping. I've been finalizing my wiring and got most of my temporary fixes done right. Finally got my fog lights wired to the switch I want to use. Been chasing a turn signal problem. Remembered I wanted to try jumping the flasher and after doing that I had all my signals. Already have a replacement flasher for it.

The biggest thing today was I got a new head unit and speakers in. Went with a pioneer avh2550nex and some pioneer 4 inch 2 way speakers. My last unit died on me and was a really poop system. I just used some old bookshelf speaks for enclosures and through them behind the seat for now. Eventually ill get some 6x9 by focal and replace the pineers with some 4 inch focal and get some kick panel enclosures. I'll probably get a little sub for it next though. Sounds decent for what it is though. Nice thing about this unit is when I go to the gas gauge camera the music doesn't stop. Bought a parking brake switch bypass for it as well. Pioneer wants on off on for that wire so just grounding it won't work.

Still waiting on tie rods. FedEx is stuck in Portland. The inner tie rods and sleeves came through the same place at the same time and I got them. The truck must of burned or got stolen. Its been a few days in transit from Portland. So yesterday I ordered some from O'Reilly's with usps 1 day shipping. It was way more then rock auto but O'Reilly's should be shipping from just outside of town.

Got a new cap and rotor from proformance distributors and the cap wasnt any better then the one I got. I'm not to worried. The noise was gone after I took off the cap to inspect it. It was probably just a little off. I'll keep these guys around for a tune up down the road.

Waiting on a few more things. Like my wideband. Picked up the AEM unit. Also my pitman arm. Haven't ordered an idler arm or rag joint yet. Still on the list. Rear brakes and shocks are still on the list as well along with a bunch of other stuff. But the list is getting smaller. I'll probably do those guys this winter. Hoping to be on the road this weekend though.