1uz swap 87 pickup

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 87_minitruck, May 29, 2020.

1. 87_minitruck

87_minitruck Newbie

Alright so first off it’s a pleasure to be apart of this forum and wanted to say thank you in advance to anyone who helps me with this. So let’s get started, I have a 1987 Toyota pickup with a 22r running its just running a little rich blowing black sud everywhere... lol so I’ve decided to go with a 1uz swap. I’ve read on multiple forums what I’m going to need more or less now the problem I’m running into is the wiring harness.. and the transmission. I’ve read online that I can use the same transmission that’s on the 22r with an adapter for the bell housing is this so ? And where can I get one ? Also is there anyway for me to use the same transmission the 1uz Has? I have a complete motor with tranny ready to go. As for harness what exactly do I need and don’t need so I can make it work with the truck?

2. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    I'd be a little nervous about using the 'W' series trans behind a 1UZ. The W59 trans can handle somewhere around 250 ftlb torque well enough, but beyond that it gets sketchy. Best bet would be an 'R' trans from a 7MGTE powered Supra or the Getrag from the back of a 2JZ. Might think about the trans from a 1GR or 2GR Taco. Big plus about the Getrag is the sixth gear!

87_minitruck likes this.
  3. Markus Vandevender

Markus Vandevender Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    I dont know what kind of budget you have to work with, so some of the stuff i have to recommend may be pricey. for the transmission, like was stated above, the W series transmissions dont hold alot of power. The R150 is a 2wd 5 speed, you can find it behind the toyota 3.0 and 3.4 motors i believe. Your best bet if youre looking at add more power in the long run is to adapt to a T56. Its a 6 speed that comes behind LS motors. The adaptor bell is only $350 but the trans can range from $800 - $2500 depending on where you get it. You can run the factory trans as well, im just thinking more along the line of upgrades.

https://www.rodshop.com.au/bellhous...2uz-3uz-adaptor-plate-tremec-t56-6-speed.html

A good option for the harness, is to send in a factory harness and have someone trim it down and make it look pretty, and make it standalone. Theres quite a few people that will do this, and it will make the install sooo much easier.

https://www.yotaconnectors.com/product-p/yc-1uzfehar.htm

Also another good place to check, as far as install and harness and all that, is Pirate4x4, that forum is LOADED with good info of all kinds.

Erwin Merida and 87_minitruck like this.
  4. 87_minitruck

87_minitruck Newbie

Thank you I appreciate the response brother, I should have mentioned the 22r is auto and so is the 1uz I’d love to go manual but for now I’m going auto trans so basically my questions is for an auto trans not a manual (I wish it was manual!) Truck is pretty clean I already got the motor out I’m going to upload a picture now. Basically just cleaning up the engine bay and prepping her for paint. Going to keep the same color on the outside (for now) but going to paint the engine bay. I’ll surprise you guys later! But if you do have any input on if I can use the 1uz tranny that would be great!

Attached Files:

5. 87_minitruck

87_minitruck Newbie

As per budget I’m trying to get the truck running as fast as possible so not really trying to go to crazy with it right now. Will be putting a turbo later down the road but for now all motor. I have someone that’s going to make me a stand-alone so that’s great that you brought that up so that narrows that down for me. As for the transmission I had an auto trans with the 22r that was factory. The 1uz I purchased which is the VVTi version is an auto as well so basically my main question is can I just use the auto trans that came with the 1uz ? Or do I have to change that trans in order for it to work/fit. I have a close buddy that is willing to do tranny brackets for me so worst case I’m covered on that end. Not trying to blow my pockets either but want a decent running truck. Also was wondering about still running a/c as well I’m going to check on the links you posted and see what I can find but if you have any ideas or suggestions I’m all ears! I appreciate the response brother!

6. Markus Vandevender

Markus Vandevender Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed
    I'm honestly not too sure about the auto trans, because I don't know if they are electronically controlled or not. If they are you should be able to have your harness built with the trans controller wiring in it. If its not electronically controlled its even easier and you'll just have to build mounts for it. Another thing you'll have to watch for is space, I know when I did my V8 swap I had to cut the tunnel out and make a new one. But my truck is also a 78 so is a bit smaller. As far as the AC goes, I'm sure someone, somewhere, has a bracket that will make use of the factory pickup AC compressor. Hell, the lines going to the compressor may even be the same fittings to use the 1UZ compressor! Toyota's usually pretty good about that kind of thing.

7. 87_minitruck

87_minitruck Newbie

Thanks brother yea apparently there is another guy on this forum called yotarip and he did a whole 1uz swap into here and he was able to use the stock tranny bracket so that’s good news and also he was able to use the stock rear end which is other good news but I still have to figure the harness out. That’s my biggest concern cause I know I have a good harness just have to make it a stand alone. Harness is from 1999 gs 400 VVTi 1uzfe

8. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I recall once finding a YouTube video that was dedicated to 1uz swap info and went into details about everything including what to do with wiring harness to get it working with minimal wiring. Sorry I don’t have more info but I’d recommend you check there and see if you can find anything

9. 87_minitruck

87_minitruck Newbie

Yea that’s what I’ve been doing to see more or less what I can find I’ll let you know if I find anything but for now just been dead ends.

10. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Hey sorry man but I was wrong about what I said. After getting on a computer and looking at my history I guess I've watched A LOT of YouTube videos on various swaps over the years.....but the one I was thinking of ended up being dedicated to 2rz/3rz swaps, not 1uz swaps :verdict_in: Still a decent amount of videos that go through 1uz wiring though.

11. Ryno5150

Ryno5150 Member

Truck:
    89 2WD reg cab, 85 4Runner
    I'm a little late to this thread, but how is the progress going? As far as transmissions, the W55, 58, 59 will be just fine as long as the engine is stock and you don't just flog the hell out of it. The R150 you would need is pre Tacoma. The Tacoma R150s have a longer input shaft and it will not work with the aftermarket bellhousings for the 1UZ.
    I'm going with a W59 for 1UZ swap. I got it for dirt cheap and I can use the bellhousing for the 3RZ swap in my 85 4Runner.

12. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Cartoon Network on youtube! 1uz everything!!