*New* 22r starting issues

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by TyD, Jan 13, 2020.

1. TyD

TyD Newbie

Truck:
    1975 Toyota pickup 22r swapped
    Hey all. New here. Had a quick question about my truck and hope you guys can help. I have a 1975 pickup with a 22r swapped in. Previous owner had taken all smog crap off from what they said. Truck was in the middle of a gm ignition swap. They had the coil and the module and everything hooked up right. When I went to start the truck It didn’t start. Turned out to have no spark. So instead of messing with it I went out and got new parts. I purchased and installed new cap and rotor, plugs, wires, gm ignition module, gm ignition coil, re grounded battery and block with fresh wire and cleaned sanded contact points.
    So once all that was said and done all hooked up I tried to start the truck again. And again no luck. No spark again. Everything is reading the right voltage when I touch the leads with the volt meter on the module and coil. I hook up the spark tester and it shows no spark.
    This is where I’m stuck so if anyone could help thanks in advance

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Maybe try a test like this.

TyD likes this.
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    That GM ignition didnt work on my truck when i tried it. Luckily the toyota ignition module was still functional so i ran that instead.

only thing i can recommend would be adjust the distributor and see if it helps

TyD likes this.
  4. TyD

TyD Newbie

Truck:
    I think I’m gonna say I’ve fallen into the book of people that this mod just isn’t gonna work for. I have decided to return all the gm parts and possibly try and go OEM again.

on that note. Has anyone seen or even used the cheap eBay ignition modules that are like $50. I was curious to see if it’s a complete p.o.s before I think about buying it. I’m trying to save as much as possible right now just to get the truck running again so I can move it or I’d just go buy the one at autozone for $370.

Attached Files:

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Could always go to the junkyard and try to find one, Or go MSD or doesnt pertronix have an ignition module for these trucks too?

6. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    It’s tough to diagnose ignition problems when you have a hodgepodge of non factory parts. If you have the original coil, igniter and distributor I’d swap back to that.
    A company called “DUI” makes a custom coil in cap distributor that uses standard HEI components. They will make it custom to your needs but they’re not cheap ($300+).
    On an “I hope I’m wrong thought “ most electrical components are non returnable especially if they’ve been used. Good luck with that.

Pearce likes this.
  7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

The dui sticks out far. And the wires are another 100 bucks.

8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The pertronix igniter module would probably fit but it's really to convert to points to electric. The magnetic ring is questionable because it fits over the lobes on the shaft. If the electric shaft is the same as the points it could work.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    MSD Streetfire is about $150, payed less than that on ebay for mine

10. TyD

TyD Newbie

Truck:
    Thanks for all the responses guys gives me a couple options. I ended up finding a OEM module/ignitor combo on eBay for $120. It has matching numbers to my stock on both stickers. Also has a 60 day return if I’m not satisfied. So I’m hoping this will work I will update as I go.

Pearce likes this.
  11. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Only if you buy them through DUI. The components are all GM. Any 4 cylinder GM car that uses HEI ignition the spark plug wires will work. Ex. Chevette etc.
    The thing I like about DUI is they custom build each distributor to your engine specifications. You tell them what carb, camshaft, any modifications you’ve made to your engine and they’ll tailor your distributor to that engine.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I thought you have to have the live wires for dui.

13. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    I’ve had 2 of them. Any HEI wire will work.

14. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Here is the Hilux diagram that shows the circuit with the igniter Relay, Sorry, best I could do on short notice:

[​IMG]

Here is the same circuit without the igniter relay pictured, the simplified circuit. This would be the circuit diagram to modify so that you could note and add your changes to that circuit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sample wiring diagram would have helped if this covered the correct year. This is from the Hilux chassis and body manual, the date published should be in the photo.

Now in the Toyota Celica manual, for your year, there was and igniter relay that had to close (normally open, energized closed) to complete the circuit:

1. The coil could have burnt out that would prevent the contacts from closing.
    2. The contacts could be dirty and not complete the circuit
    3. Pitted contacts which would cause the same issue.
    4. If you were blowing fuses then the contacts could be melted together
    5. Bench check the relay with a multimeter or open and remove the cover of the relay.
    6. By energizing the coil, watch the contacts close and open

Here is that diagram, don't know if it can help you since all of the modifications had been completed before your ownership. good Luck...

http://www.retrojdm.com/Scans/Toyota/Celica/Service Manuals/Body - 1975/PDF/05 - SST.pdf

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    _Quickfox likes this.
  15. TyD

TyD Newbie

Truck:
    Thankyou 74rn22 for the diagrams. I got the OEM part in the mail today. Now while hooking it up I noticed 2 wires running from twist I believe is the ignition relay(not sure) it’s a white wire and a smaller guage black wire with yellow stripe(different than the keyed power wire) hopefully my images help basically I need to know if I need those wires or what they go to F003C0BE-91AD-4340-8585-223277F26252.jpeg D68EED9E-2776-4BC3-B149-5CA2D9B33F7E.jpeg F003C0BE-91AD-4340-8585-223277F26252.jpeg

jetas likes this.
  16. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    That was why I posted the diagrams, because they list the wire codes for the color wires and the Celica site was for a similar wire colors, which should be Toyota universal wire colors...
    Plus the majority of my vehicles are pre-1975...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  17. TyD

TyD Newbie

Truck:
    If anyone has photos or could take photos of under the hood how their wiring is wired up with the ignition components that would help I just need to know if they are used or not . The diagrams don’t make sense to me without colors

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The colors are on the diagram.

BY=Black with yellow. Which should be 12v ignition hot wire.

19. TyD

TyD Newbie

Truck:
    Okay so where does that put the white wire?

20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    No clue. Do you have a multimeter? Test the wires youre connecting them to before hand. Dont wana fry anything then come back and blame us lol