Piston brand

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by mr-bubble66, Apr 10, 2019.

1. mr-bubble66

mr-bubble66 Member

I need .20 over pistons I found some on eBay from the Ohio piston company would these be any good to use on the rebuild ? Or Silvolites ? I ordered three oem Toyota ones on eBay and one more from mega zip but they canceled my order today because they didn’t have the item they already sold me 4 days ago in stock :brickknock:

2. mr-bubble66

mr-bubble66 Member

3. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Have you tried LCE or 22REperformance?

4. mr-bubble66

mr-bubble66 Member

Lce only has .30 and .40 and the other doesn’t have anything for 20r’s

5. Clay

Clay Member

Truck:
    93 Pickup
    https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com lists some pistons in stock for various engines. They have O/S at .5, which i think is .5mm oversize. (basically .020 over). I would suggest emailing them for clarification. I've used them a bunch on my project and what they still have was truly OEM.

6. Clay

Clay Member

Truck:
    93 Pickup
    Also, not sure what year you need, but rockauto has them for sale as well. Sealed Power/Speed-pro is a good piston brand.

7. mr-bubble66

mr-bubble66 Member

12CBFB22-CF3E-4E75-8E3D-6678ECF1E79A.jpeg Alright so update I went with the art pistons mainly because the stock pistons have “art” stamped on the inside. Now I’m ready to put them in the engine but trying to figure out the ring gap I need . According to everyone it’s .004 in per inch of bore but the 20r service manual says 0.004 - 0.012 I don’t know if they meant per in if bore or it has to be in between those ranges

8. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Ring gap has nothing to do with bore diameter. The factory specs are for minimum and maximum clearance. I usually split the difference. The .004 is for mm reading, not inches. As long as the bore is standard and the pistons are standard the factory specs are fine. The area you want to be careful with is the piston to cylinder clearance if you’re using an o/s piston.

9. Clay

Clay Member

Truck:
    93 Pickup
    Ring gap per bore diameter is actually quite common, though factory specs are always best for stock rebuilds