Power Steering with lots of pics.

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Raffaelli, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Heres a write up on some of the details of putting power steering on your mini. Specifically for a 79-83, but applies to later models as well.

Ok, so lets say your truck is no cadillac. You have to grunt and muscle the steering wheel to make a 3 pt turn. Toyota didnt offer P/S for your specific year (or you have a base truck), and you want it. If so, then read on...

---A quick background before pics. Ive previously swapped P/S into my 82. It was with a 22R hybrid and a NON-P/S head. It worked great, but blew a hose and I pulled the motor.Nowa 77 20R is in it now.---

So here is a quick parts list of components you'll need to find either at a junkyard or otherwise...

P/S brackets
    P/S Pump
    P/S tensioner and idler.
    (all those parts are bolted together in a unit on the cyl head)
    P/S pressure hose
    P/S fluid resivour
    P/S gearbox
    P/S cooler (stock is a plain 6in tube)
    P/S crank pulley (possibly a harmonic balancer too)
    P/S belt

Possibly a distributor, some ATF pressurehoses, and assorted clamps and bolts. I got all this stuff off of a 84+ truck.

Now for the pics...

2. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    With the wide tires on the road, it can be a real bear to spin that wheel at low speeds...

[​IMG]

The most important part of this system is the box itself. Im sure any 2wd P/S box will work. Pitman arm appears to be the same. Here its mounted with the 3 bolts. two on the side, one on top. Bolts right up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, the 77 20R has a 2 groove pulley. The later model 22R (like an 82) has a 2 groove also, but it has a removable 3rd. The removable pully will not bolt onto the 20R harmonic balancer. JFYI.

Stock 20R balancer.

[​IMG]

Here is the 3 rib balancer mounted on a 20R engine. There is a difference in the oil pump housings to tell where TDC is. Nothing major, but a hassle non-the-less.

[​IMG]

Here is the P/S bracket assembly. The 20R head has both P/S bosses and non P/S bosses in their preduction run. The later 20R heads (like 78-80) had the bosses. Neither of my 20R heads have these bosses. Ive bolted the P/S stuff on with the only 2 bolts and it has worked fine. Kinda micky mouse looking, but it works...All 22R heads have these bosses, so dont worry if you have one.

[​IMG]

The 1 of 2 bolts that dont have a boss...

[​IMG]

3. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Ok. There is an issue when it comes to distributors when swapping to P/S.

I dont know exactly what the 20R distributor came off of, but its a electronic later model one than the original 77 points one.

The 20R distibutor was too long, and fouled the P/S pump. Heres the difference...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

82 22R distributor mounted on the 20R engine

Mount the resivour on the fenderwall. Lines are self explainitory. Its not pretty. The toyota pressure hose is almost 5 ft long and only needs to go 8 inches. :shrug::shrug: I guess you could custom make one, they are simple flare fittings.

[​IMG]

-note- the resivour supply hose is 5/8 heater hose. It will not stay up to petroleum, and will get mushy. I havnnt looked for the proper hose yet. Just need to go to a hydralic supply house.

Proper belt sizing..:lol: noticbly bigger than a water pump/alt belt

[​IMG]

Simple to route.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my cooler. Its waaay too big. But it doesnt hurt anything...

[​IMG]

That should be a nice bit of info if your thinking about the swap. The lines could be routed much more nicely. Be sure they dont rub on anything, they will eat thru it quick!

(the cause of going months without P/S)

[​IMG]

Enjoy and feel free to ask any questions.

Oliver R.

4. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Lovely write up!

5. hardluckfatboy

hardluckfatboy Newbie

1977?

Will these parts and all the tech work on my 77 model?? thanks

6. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    I dont know about the pre 79 trucks. I think that they have a front steer steering box, making it unique.

So I doubt it will work.

7. 80hulix

80hulix Newbie

Why can't I see any of the pictures?? Says go to photo bucket?

8. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    because photobucket decided to be a punk [deleted] and hold the photos for ransom. Also because this thread is over 7 years old