1. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Belltech 3" drop springs in the mail!!
    has anyone here used those bolt in C-notch kits before? opinions? rants/rambles/logic? Though I know how to weld I do not have the facilities, access, or $$$ to put a notch in my frame, so I am just wondering about those bolt ins.

2. DMC

DMC Member

I ordered the bolt in C notch kit from Street tacos just about 3 weeks ago and some 3" blocks as well. Havent received them though, sorry can't help you out with any info on them yet. I picture people prolly not being too hyped on them because they are bolt in as opposed to being welded. Honestly, I hardly drive my truck, personally for me, I dont think it's that big of a deal. I'm sure more people will chime in though. Where'd you order the belltech spings from? That's my next purchase and everyone seems to have the same price on them, just curious to know if you found a better deal? Thanks and digging your build thread so far.

3. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Ah cool! yeah, 136 seems to be what they are everywhere now per side.
    My concerns are that it is my daily driver and I put her to work during the week.
    For now I just have to go around and trim all my bump stops because I'm nearly resting on em up front.

4. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Are the Belltech 3" lowering rear springs stiffer than stock? I went to their website and they don't say; the only thing they had to say was the springs "preserve" the same ride. TIA

5. DMC

DMC Member

Yeah that's the same price I keep seeing as well.

I'm pretty much riding on my rear bump stops but I definitely wanna go lower all around....still too high for my taste. I gotta roll and pull the rears too and prolly run a stretched tire. 16x8 et-10 lotta poke ;-)

Hopefully once I get the C notch I can let you know how they are. Just not sure when I'll have time to get them installed though?

6. Justin Danger

Truck:
    yeah, not to mention i'm going to have to re-route my exhaust because it is dangerously close to the rear axle.

i believe the belltech springs have the same rebound as stock, but less of an arc, so the lay flatter, lowering the rear.

I also pulled the trigger on those wheels, expecting some big changes come the new year! hopefully the lower offset and removing my spacers will tuck the fronts in the original 2wd fenders. I've also got new interior parts on the way that i've been meaning to get for a while like black door handles, back to original window cranks, B&m shifter to replace the crummy hurst shifter, waterlroof vinyl for door panels amd misc interior parts, and some seatbelts with airline latches. oh and some arm rests out of a trans am, they are grey but I can do something with that......right?

7. DMC

DMC Member

Cool, can't wait to see the outcome.

8. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Well already got the new B&M shifter installed, it's indexing is way better than the Hurst, and it came with a chrome cover for it. The seat belt is cool, but not a retractable, so having a fixed 3 point is a bit odd.

I've got the drop leafs sitting next to the truck on either side just waiting until I'm not working on the house for a few hours to put em on. I want to get a good before and after of the 3" blocks vs 3" drop leafs.

9. Justin Danger

Truck:
    well, it has been storming reeeeeal badly here, so I haven't had time to do much like install my drop springs and DJM lower control arms. I was able to get the new shoes on along with some interior stuff.

new wheels, really digging them:
    FrontAngle1-11-17.jpg SideSm1-11-17.jpg

Airline seat buckle:
    SeatBeltSm.jpg

B&M Shifter:
    shiftersm.jpg shiftersm.jpg

and an experiment on a door panel with some (i think 86 haha) trans am arm rests and black vinyl:
    DoorPanelExperiment1sm.jpg

10. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Spoke a little soon there, today was nice and sunny, so I installed the DJM lcas up front with some new lower ball joints ( I replaced the uppers recently along with all the steering stuff, but the lower ball joints didn't have castle nuts or cotter pins which I have had experiece with when they fail, so I waited and got new lower BJs to install with the arms). Had some issues with the holes on the arms not lining up with the holes on the arm at the end of my torsion bar, so I wallered it out a bit on the arm and was able to get everything home. I didn't lose much height, but definitely have a smoother ride with more tension on the t-bars. Overall a lot less daunting than I thought.

11. Nineteen86

Nineteen86 Member

Truck:
    86 xcab
    Everything sounds good man. And the trucks coming along nicely. I commented on your bed question on your other post too.

12. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Cool, thanks man, it is a lot of fun hard work!
    I put in an old 22r valve cover this morning, and it is wonderful. There is so much more clearance for the ARP studs and double timing chain I installed a while back. It also has a much nicer softer, almost more voluptuous shape.
    I have some 3" blocks out back with their U-bolts, but am converting to belltech springs as soon as I can, and need stock U-bolts again, does anybody know what size they are? My problem is mostly that the threads don't go high enough on the ones I have. Thanks guys!

13. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Could use some polishing, but here is what the new valve cover looks like in there
    22reValveCoverSm.jpg

14. Justin Danger

Truck:
    finally had some more sunny days, so I did some more work on the old girl. I had installed a skyjacker steering stabilizer that I am pretty sure was meant for a 4x4. It was a big beefy thing, which I liked, but it grazed the bottom of the oil pan when I turned to the right, which apparently led to a small leak in the gasket. Without wanting to pound out some clearence in the pan, I just decided to remove the stabilizer all together. Living on a dirt road, it is a bit rough when hitting potholes, but I am comfortable in the knowledge that I won't have to keep topping of my oil. While I was down there, I also decided to install the gravel guard that I haven't had on since I installed the stabilizer.

Got through to LCE about the ignition parts they sent me, and have the new RIGHT parts on the way, so hopefully will be getting that installed this coming week along with spark plugs made for boosted engines, new rotor, cap, and some 8mm plug cables.

15. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Hello all of you toyota gear heads out here, THIS POST IS FOR YOU. I just want to thank all of you out there in the Toyotaminis world, it doesn't matter if you just signed up, or are have been here since the beginning, you all inspire me. Beatrice the old work truck is now Betsy my little hot rod.
    When I got my first yota (Neptune, an 86 xtra cab 22re that was dropped so low I caught pine cones) I had no experience with any car whatsoever. You guys have given me the confidence and inspiration to make my dream truck. With every post I've read, I've gotten new ideas and assurance in what I was doing. THANK YOU ALL!
    Every time I go out, doesn't matter whether I'm checking my oil or replacing my head gasket, I have a heck of a lot of fun. I've been a tinkerer of everything from old manual typewriters to vintage guitars, even building my own tinyhouse, but nothing gives me the pride I have in my little Betsy. Every time I look out my window I think "damn that is a fine ride", and it fills my soul with glee. I can cruise down Hwy 1 taking curves, hit the straightaways, and just cruise slow through town, and feel dang good about it.
    So basically, thank you all, I love your rides, and I hope you all continue to kick some serious butt! I can't wait to meet up with some of you at some shows this year and share our experiences.

Nineteen86 likes this.
  16. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Took a drive today, and i'd have to say that the lack of a steering stabilizer makes having a manual gear box a lot easier to turn at lower speeds. Looks like I might not put one back in!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  17. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Well, I was doing some thinking and planning, and it looks like my rear shocks (Gabriel variable rate coilovers) that have a compressed length of 12.62" just will not work when I take out my blocks and put in the Belltech drop leafs. So I've been doing a lot of diffing around and searching for the right shocks. I really enjoy the coilovers because I can haul a big load on my dropped truck. So now I am looking into replacing them, but cannot seem to find a coilover shock that has the right travel distance and right mounting.
    It seems that Monroe has some shocks that may work, but they are considered front shocks. The front shocks have only 40 N/mm spring rate as opposed to 60N/mm for rears. Does this matter considering I am running coilovers and leafs? I figure whatever I do, I will have to modify or switch out the bushings, but should the lower spring rate be an issue? should I continue the search for rear load bearing shocks that have the proper travel (which might not exist)?

18. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    As an alternate, look into air shocks. Only other thing I can think of is to call monroe and see if they might have just the coil you can buy and install onto the shock itself. Or talk to them and see if they might have something you havent found.

19. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Thanks Frinzo, contacting them is exactly what I did, but couldn't get much help. I was able to find an old catalogue of theirs that had all of their shock dimensions and mounting codes and stuff, and I think I found some for both front and back that are load bearing coilovers! The rears have a 1/2" hole in their bushing, so I don't know whether I can bore that to the 5/8 shaft on our trucks, but it has a compressed length of just over 9", which is exactly what I need. So I actually went ahead and ordered them, 58575 for the rears, and 58270 for the fronts. Don't know what the coilovers will do to my ride height, but I figure I have the Gabriel coilovers out back already, so that shouldn't change. The height I'm most worried out is the front.
    Fronts are coming in today, so I guess I will see (weather permitting and install)

Nineteen86 likes this.
  20. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Well, got the front shocks today and installed them. They will take some getting used to with less dampening and higher spring rate with the coilovers. The ride is a bit bouncy, but nothing is bottoming out or anything. squeaky squeaky new springs!

FrontSus2-5-17Sm.jpg 'I actually really like this picture, it shows (from left to right): new ball joints w/ flip, new tie rods, new DJM lower control arm, Belltech anti-sway bars, and my Sway-a-way torsion bars (that I am going to relax a little because the new shocks did rise the height a little.... a liiiitle..... ok, maybe like 3/8").

stacy likes this.