front end option

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Christian Escobar, Dec 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Christian Escobar

Christian Escobar Member

Hows it going guys. i just pick up my first 95 mini pickup, and the front end is beat, what kind front end options are available. It is possible if a front of of a 2nd gen Helix would fit on my 95? if not, what are my options??

2. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Have you considered finding a pick n pull (or local equivalent auto recycler) and scavenging the front end?

with enough fabrication, ANY front end will fit. You know the 2nd gen of the Hilux was 1972-1978, right?

3. Christian Escobar

Christian Escobar Member

yeah, i love the second gen old school style look, what I'm trying to figure out if the 2nd gen hilux front end need major fabrication be needed, how far off are the measurements of the 2nd gen front end to my 1995 Hilux?

4. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Oh, you want to do a retro swap. I thought you were talking steering/suspension sorta swap.

I'll pretty well guarantee you're gonna be widening stuff. in the range of half a foot total difference side to side. But, if you can weld, you may be able to get away with cutting everything in half and fabricating a center stretch between it all.

And then there's your front to back measurements. Now, i'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying I hope you can fab and bodywork, because it sounds like a great idea

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea its guna be a fun project if you decide to do it

6. Christian Escobar

Christian Escobar Member

yeah hopefully in the long run, Jetas, you think you can measure your front end and post the measurement on here? i want to see how much the difference is. Nice mini by the way!

7. Christian Escobar

Christian Escobar Member

also since I'm going with that old school Japanese look, would the my 1995 pull of fender mirrors? with the stock front end, what do you guys think?

8. Christian Escobar

Christian Escobar Member

ill post pictures of my truck soon enough, its a completely stock 1995 pickup

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thanks bro, its all blown apart right now but if i get it all together soon il send you some dimensions

10. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    You can pull off fender mirrors up to about 88, in my opinion, but that hasn't stopped some folks. They look wicked on the old minis. I run trapezoid/square fender mirrors on my '82. I did add them small cheater fisheyes mirrors to the outside corner, too. Completely eliminated blind spots

11. Christian Escobar

Christian Escobar Member

yeah they do look awesome, since my mini is a 95 i think i can still pull them off, where did you buy your fender mirrors? I've been looking for a good high quality pair. I'm afraid to buy the ones from eBay lol

12. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    I bought the taiwan plastic ones. If you're willing to do some work to them (sand, sand, sand, smooth, prime, then paint and clear), you can make them actually look amazing, versus just okay. On a budget, they're worth what you pay.

1012420_904314049597354_4085740684223618882_n.jpg

Now, if you're going to be more quality and a badass visual, look for the celica fender mirrors.

3661470073_553bc7dbd7_o_zpsgl6pdfm7.jpg

13. Christian Escobar

Christian Escobar Member

man that looks really good! what gen is your truck?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  14. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    I think it's a 3rd gen hilux. it's an '82, first year of the square headlights. That's why I went with the squarer mirrors, so it matched. Round headlights look best with round mirrors

15. Christian Escobar

Christian Escobar Member

yeah, the celica mirrors are nice also, but it will look of rather go with the ones you got, where did you buy them?

16. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Ebay. Here, I think this is the guy I got mine from. $35 shipped isn't bad, but you do have to wait a couple weeks for them to come from Thailand.

The search "Toyota pickup fender mirrors" gets you all sorts of great options

17. Christian Escobar

Christian Escobar Member

nice, thanks man, should be buying them pretty soon, but i have priorities on the truck that need fixing first lol
    i have the cluster i need to fix, i have no information on how fast I'm going nor the gas level and the temperature gauge. is it possible for me to put in a new tacoma cluster with an rpm gauge in my 95?

18. red rocket

red rocket Newbie

Truck:
    93 regcab dlx
    You have to find a sr5 gauge from a 89-92. 93-95 wont fit. Toyota changed the backing to it.
    I did mine bout 10 years ago and kinda forgot how I did it. But you should be able to find yours on ebay evetually just might have to pay a pretty penny. Good luck on your find and hope you have the 5 speed. Automatic gave me hell!