Alternative Coil Spring Set Up

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Seventy6Celica, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Rcksqrl

Rcksqrl Enthusiast

Truck:
    '85 4Krawler, '67 Stout
    Ok all, just a FYI...... Stout springs are bigger than hilux/mighty max springs... Bought the mighty max springs from belltech, stouts 5 1/4" diameter, mighty max/hilux are about 4 3/8".

Just adding to the info list..

2. 79 flatbed

79 flatbed Member

Truck:
    79 rn25
    What is a mighty max?

3. Rcksqrl

Rcksqrl Enthusiast

Truck:
    '85 4Krawler, '67 Stout
    mitsubishi

4. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux

So will these fit a 1973 Hilux? Are there any lowering rear leaf packs for my truck or just blocks? I don't really like the idea of removing any springs from the pack.

5. 73yota-hi-lux

73yota-hi-lux Newbie

Truck:
    73 hilux
    Hey guys, newbie to the Hilux scene, but not the mini truck scene, had a few nissans in the past, i'm just like some others on this post, i just got my 73' Lux and it was already lowered, 4" blocks and 1 leaf gone (i think) in the back with old highjacker air shocks, i'm not sure what has been done to the front, other than cranked down torsion bars but i know every thing on the passenger side is bad... looking to replace bad highjacker rear shocks and springs and shocks up front, so any recommendations would be appreciated.... thanx!

6. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    The '73 doesn't have torsions up front, I don't think torsion suspension showed up til 1979, so it probably has cut springs or maybe Mighty Max springs.

7. 73yota-hi-lux

73yota-hi-lux Newbie

Truck:
    73 hilux
    Hmmmm, Cade01, thanx for the info, i will have to look into that, and once my tax $ comes in i'll get it looked at and replace some stuff... lol

8. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Any idea if these will fit a 1973 Hilux?

9. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

In stock upper perch configuration, Qa1 shocks will work, but the coilover setup will be a challenge, for coil over setup, you will need to modify the lower shock mount to be able to handle the weight, springs to use would be 2.5 to 3.5 id, 375lbs would be too soft due to geometry design, 475 up would be more suitable.

If u were able to reposition upper and lower mounts for the coil over setup, lower spring rates would be possible.
    Stock coil location puts too much leverage on the coils.

Toyotashack likes this.
  10. Norms

Norms Newbie

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread! I plan to lower my 73 with 3" street taco blocks in the rear, and running the stock mightymax spring, and stock length shocks all around still--planning to use gas-a-just's in the front and whatever equivalent I can find for the rear.

11. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    So, I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but.... I found out that Dodge D-50 springs will also work in our trucks(not in the Stout though) they are almost the same as The Mighty Max spring but not quite. The ones from the Mighty Max have 10 coils in them and the D-50 ones only have 8. I was wondering why my truck sat way lower than I thought it was going to. I also cut half a coil off of them, so it would be like taking Mighty MAx springs a chopping off 2.5 coils..... whoops.

convict likes this.
  12. EuroTrashh

EuroTrashh Newbie

13. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Does anyone who has installed the Belltech Mighty Max springs know if they are stiffer than the stock Hilux springs, or know what the spring rates are? Also to those who have them on their truck, do you have a lot of issues with the A arms bottoming out? I have D50 springs with half a coil cut out and I'm bouncing off of what's left of the bump stop constantly, I have the bottom steel bump block removed, the rubber bump stop cut down by half, and KYB GR2 '67 Camaro V8 shocks.

14. kmghawaii

kmghawaii Enthusiast

Truck:
    1969 Hilux
    BUMP. I was also trying to find info on the spring rates for the BellTech Mighty Max springs compared to the stock Mighty Max Springs.

15. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    I found out that the Belltech springs rates are 550 lbs/inch, they is what a guy from Belltech said. Does anyone know what the stock Hilux or Mighty Max rates are?

16. kmghawaii

kmghawaii Enthusiast

Truck:
    1969 Hilux
  17. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Nice, that is helpful. I wish they had the specs for the stock Hilux springs too, just need to track those down to compare.

18. putteraf

putteraf Member

Truck:
    Toyota Hilux 1978 long bed
    how much did you pay for the Tokico shocks?

19. Nachos76Yoda

Nachos76Yoda Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux short bed RN23
    This is great info guys. I will b in the look out for a mighty max in my local yard.

20. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    I've recently found that Fox body mustang rear springs seem to be close in inside/outside diameter(3.75"id/4.75od roughly). I'm not sure how much wiggle room there is, as far as how near to exact the measurements have to be. The ones I looked at were Eibach lowering springs, they appear to be about three inches shorter thank stock Hilux springs and the coils are thick, so they would probably give a much stiffer ride (less bottoming out?) I will update if I get a chance to try them.