1970 Hilux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by mrwizard, May 2, 2010.

1. mrwizard

mrwizard Member

Truck:
    1970 Hilux
    just drove this home...stoked to start the project. plans are still in the works...

Attached Files:

2. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    damn nice!

3. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    nice find

4. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    One like that was for sale down here for 700 bucks in good shape, it was for sale way to earlie, I had enough money like a month later.... failure...

Nice find

5. mrwizard

mrwizard Member

Truck:
    1970 Hilux
    thanks for all the encouraging remarks guys. i'm pretty stoked about it. this is my 5th yota but i've primarily built them for wheeling. this is the first one being built for the street. plans are pretty simple, drop it just enough to make it stand out, take care of some of the rust issues, re-upholster the interior, sure up the engine, and drive the wheels off of it.

r

6. mrwizard

mrwizard Member

Truck:
    1970 Hilux
    oh, also forgot to mention i picked up a set of 15" bbs wheels for it today. i'm not sure if i love them, but they had decent (read: not weather checked) tires to get it on the road. i really like the look of the steelies, so i'll probably go back that direction soon. i'll get some better pictures up here soon with the new shoes on it.

r

7. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    depending on how the bbs rims look i might be interested in them if you part with em down the road. but yeah get us some pics. and if you read my thread and toydattos thread, the front suspension is the same as what you have. so lets see it dropped :D

8. mrwizard

mrwizard Member

Truck:
    1970 Hilux
    here's a quick cell phone shot of the bbs rims. still not sure what i think. i need to get it out and take some really photos of it.

Attached Files:

9. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    I like 'em

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I like it!!

What size are the wheels??

Got more pics of the truck??

11. priusjames

priusjames Enthusiast

Truck:
    75 Hi-lux
    That's a sweet ride...I've just started on my rn20, and I'm already thinking about one of these!

12. mrwizard

mrwizard Member

Truck:
    1970 Hilux
    here are some more pictures of the wheels mounted. they are 15x7 with 35et and the tires are 215/65r15. i had to space the wheels out another 1/8" to get them to clear the top of the ball joints in the front. right now i am running them without hubcentric rings in order to clear the spindle cap in the front as well, so the lug nuts are centering the wheels on the wheel mounting surface. so far so good. we'll see though.

here are some more pics...

Attached Files:

13. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    those look sweet! as long as the lug bores have a taper to them, it doesnt matter if its also a hubcentric wheel. alot of times people see a bit of a taper on the inside of the center bore and assume thats what they are on aftermarket rims. ive noticed over the years, its often to help clear the bit of rounded edge that brake rotor/hubs have on the front of things. and to help the wheel not catch when installing. i think youll be fine. id totally rock those with shorter tires on my 78.

14. mrwizard

mrwizard Member

Truck:
    1970 Hilux
    yeah, i'd definitely go shorter tires if i had set them up, but for the price i'm going to roll on these shoes for awhile.

the rims do have tapered stud/lugnut holes, so my thoughts were the same...should be fine. no wobbles or shimmies yet.

15. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    91 V6 SR5 Xtracab, 87 22RE 4x4, 73 HiLux 18R SR5
    Looks good, I like it!

16. mrwizard

mrwizard Member

Truck:
    1970 Hilux
    well, it has been too long since an update. Had a bad radiator, so I went ahead and bought an aluminum radiator and fabbed it to fit. This setup is only temporary until I get everything in place for the motor swap. Here are a few shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also threw some cheap mirrors on, but I hate them. Going to have to do something different. These are $12 from Schucks, but they don't stay adjusted and they don't articulate enough to get them into an ideal position. Don't laugh that I've got two driver's side mirrors on at once, I was just trying it out to see which I liked. The one on the front fender is entirely useless...it doesn't reach far enough toward the side of the truck to get a good image to the rear and to the side. I like the placement, like early Celicas. I think it looks sharp there and if I found a good set of mirrors off an early Celica I would think about mounting them there, but for now, the doors will do. Here are some more shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. mrwizard

mrwizard Member

Truck:
    1970 Hilux
    New Shoes!

Well, got some more work done on the lux.

I've had some drivability issues with the 8R, so I swapped on a Weber 32/36. It has made a huge difference, but things still aren't right. I pulled out the distributer to see if I could get it timed better. One manual I have recommends 10* BTDC, another recommends 0* timing. The difference seems to be the production date during 1969/70. I thought the distributor may be a tooth off, but that certainly isn't the problem. 10* BTDC seems to be the ticket for my motor. However, I am suspicious about the cam being a tooth off from crank. Something is still not right on the timing end of things. My plan as of right now is to run this motor through the winter (fingers crossed) and swap it out next spring when it gets warm enough to commute on the motorbike.

In other news, I did finally get new shoes fitted onto her. I really like how it turned out...205/50r15 Falken Ziex. It's now time to drop her a couple inches. :waytogo:

[​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]

18. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    nice looking truck man. yes drop that bad boy down to earth.

19. mrwizard

mrwizard Member

Truck:
    1970 Hilux
    well, i was stoked yesterday when i found a mint 18rg motor for sale on craigslist here locally in boise....only to be disappointed that the guy sold it out from under me before i could get out to look at it after work! :brickknock: lame. oh, well...guess i'll just have to to 1uz instead. :waytogo:

20. swapmeet

swapmeet Enthusiast

Not a fan of the wheels personally, but I like your truck.

Have you changed out our condenser on the distributor? Mine went bad and I spent weeks chasing down crap before someone reccomended it to me. Amazing what a $4 part can do.

GL with your build, I'm debating about either a aftermarket carb or just a motor swap on my 71.