Center bore question...

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by Under Construction '93, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Under Construction '93

Under Construction '93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Std Pickup
    I just picked up a set of 16's off of a honda prelude for dirt cheap. My question is if anyone is in the southern Cali area that knows of a shop that does center boring? I searched but cant find anything. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    Been there done that.

Hows it goin? Just recently moved up to Temecula and had the same problem. Tried to a find place to center bore my wheels up north. After hitting a multiple number of shops, all I kept getting was "I've heard of a place in Fontana" but know one really knows. I never got a name and was told it would be expensive. I ended up taking a drive back down south to Imperial Beach where I had my previous wheels done. They charged 60 bucks a set but add 20 bucks to remove and re-install/balance the tires after all is done (didn't know till after). Still, pretty damn cheap, very accurate, and only took about an hour for the whole process. Here's the website:

http://www.thewheelzone.com

Look under their services for more info. Also, if you go there, the owner was kinda of a dick but the guy who actually bores the wheels is pretty nice old man.

Hope this helps and good luck,
    Alex

3. Under Construction '93

Truck:
    1993 Std Pickup
    Thanks man. I'm gonna try to seach a little more for something local but i'll make an SD run if need be. Fontana would be great if i had a name. I can get mount and balance for free so i just need the boreing part. Pain in the ass...lol But i picked up the rims with almost new tires for $150. Again... Thanks

4. Under Construction '93

Truck:
    1993 Std Pickup
    Just answered my own question. A place in Ontario called MC Motorsports on Locust. if anyone else needed the info. $25 a wheel not including mount/dismount. # is 909-947-5115

5. Under Construction '93

Truck:
    1993 Std Pickup
    Ok so im a litttle pissed because i just picked up my wheels from center boring and while i was test fitting them noticed that they bored the holes a little larger so they have some slop on the hubs now. Should i worry about this because of stress on the lugs? Also the rims are hitting my upper balljoint mount as well so im going to need some spacers. Any input would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

6. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    Been there done that too!!!

At least they bored them a bit big. When I had my 1st set of wheels bored out, he bored them too small. Ended up having to drive back down there to prove it and redo them for free. As for being too big, you can try running hub centric rings on them. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Is it the balljopint mount itself or just the Zert fitting nipple? I was running 18's and they were rubbing on the nipples (haha sounds kinky) so I took off the nipples and capped them. I only reinstall them when performing routine maintenance.

Hope that helps :)

7. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    Didn't see this

16's with FWD rims??? Yeah, you're definitely going to need spacers

8. Under Construction '93

Truck:
    1993 Std Pickup
    Yea its actually hitting the balljoint itself. The rears dont fit either because they are hitting on the lower plates for the u-bolts. Think ive just been wasting time and $ on these rims now. I could use some 1' spacers all the way around but im not too crazy about that idea.

I was taught that the weight of the vehicle was supported by the hub and should'nt be directly on the wheel studs.Plus spacers are pretty pricey considering i only paid $150 for the rims and tires...

Good news is i got my $100 refunded by the guys who over-bored my rims... Those guys are real a$$holes.I would'nt recommend doing buisness with them. He neglected to tell me he really overbored one of them more than the rest untill i called to tell him his measurments were wrong...WTF??? What scares me is that they are a machine shop who specialize in motorcycle wheels and they cant take a proper measurment...

So thats my venting for now... Not sure im gonna even use these wheels now and im going to have to eat the $150 i paid for them... Anyone got a set of rims for sale??? Hahaha!