Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Lil' Beast, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Lil' Beast

Lil' Beast Member

Truck:
    1990 SR5 Extra Cab 4x4 Auto V6
    Has anyone here added 'helper springs' to their leaf springs? I want to make CERTAIN that when I load my 1990 4x4 SR5's bed that it does not sag. I looked at the Timbren Solid Rubber dohickies, and they are REALLY nice, but not made for pre-Taco rigs:cry: I think the Timbren's would be ideal for Toyota trucks of all ages for loaded beds;)

How many extra leafs should I add to carry 1500 pounds in the bed? That would be the max weight, but I want extra insurance that I'm not going to drop down on my new tires.

2. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    Toys work hard

I have seen Toy pickups haul 10 000 pounds. 1500 pounds is totally possible. Just leave your bump stops in. I added an extra leaf with my 88. It restored the height in the rear and made the truck sit perfectly even.

3. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    lol show me 1 toyota pickup with anywhere near 10k lbs in the bed... actually show me any half ton pickup truck do this.

4. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    ive had a full size ATV barely fit back in mine
    other times i had
    bed full of...
    soil
    gravel
    cinderblocks

recently 8 packs of sq.ft. tiles... that was fun on the highway
    then bed full of camping stuff

then i had at least 5 180+lb guys HOP on the bed...... bottoming out multiple times as they continued it...

so in other words, your truck can handle it.

5. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    a friend of mine had a 82 4x4 that he used air helper springs on. he hauled a big welder in the bed along with a bunch of equipment, and also a big diesel gen/welder on a trailer. he said it worked perfect except the 22r was a little under power for the weight.

6. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    ive had .5 yard of gravel in my wheeler before, all the way down to the bump stops.

but ya air bag style load leveler air springs kick ass :waytogo:

when there isnt much load you can tune em down and have some comfort, plus its a whole lot easier to add capacity with bigger bags or more psi.

changing springs is a bi+ch

7. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    91 V6 SR5 Xtracab, 87 22RE 4x4, 73 HiLux 18R SR5
    I've had a full yard of gravel and a full yard of sand on different occasions in a couple of my 4x4's I used to own. They guy in the loader couldn't believe it when I said to dump the whole yard in. He didn't think it would handle it. Boy was he wrong!

On a side note I pull started a 18 wheeler with a flatbed that was partially loaded with sod once too with my 85 4x4 I used to own. Just about destroyed the clutch but it was worth it because I did it! :D

8. Lil' Beast

Lil' Beast Member

Truck:
    Thanks you guys for the replies above. Here's my issue> today I loaded up the bed of my 1990 SR5 V6 Auto 4x4 Toyota with almost everything I own as I am getting ready to move in a few days.

Ok, so I live a bit sparsely:eek: as the load is only about 2-3ft above the cab. The truck has a 6 ft bed and what I did was lay down a few pieces of foam board in the bed to elevate my boxes from water that is going to get in the bed. I pulled the drain plugs out in the front of the bed so it drains when it rains and any water gets down there;)

I packed her up as tight as I could, I wrapped the load with cling load wrap type plastic to help prevent any load shifting. I pulled a second tarp over the first to keep the evening dew off the top and out of the load until I get back to it in the morning. I'll pull a painters 2mil tarp over the whole load and plastic wrap it on; then put the first and second tarps on top and strap it all down.

Now, I notice the bed frame is now resting on the 'bump stops'(?), the end opposite the one that has the little 'H' shaped bracket on it. Is it going to be safe to drive the truck like this?

9. Lil' Beast

Lil' Beast Member

Truck:
    Add to above, my caution is I've never driven a truck where the frame had bottomed out the leafs. I just had 4 new Monroe SensaTrac shocks installed, along with 4 new Michelin 235/75R 15's LTX MS. I had all the fluids changed front to rear, along with the fuel filter. I was going to do a full tuneup, wires,etc, but ran out of money. I'll do it first chance I can.

My second question is will driving the truck with bottomed out leafs ruin my new shocks? I drive very conservatively on road, and wonder what to expect with regard to the truck's handling loaded like this. Will the front end feel like it's floating on the road? I noticed the truck still sits level, except for the bottomed leafs. The front end is not nose high, like I've seen some 2 wheel drive trucks when they get loaded.

10. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    as long as its bottomed out on the bump stops (rubber bits attached to the frame and contact the axl) and not the shocks, they will be fine.

drive most carefully.

jus cuz it can "handle" the weight doesnt mean it should. your steering and braking ability have been severely compromised.

i would also reccomend you upping the tires pressure to the max rated on the sidewall. dont drive very far before you do, the tires will heat up faster if they are bulging then if you add cold air they will be over the max and could possibly blow up. cold air expands, always fill tires when cold.

remember, just take it easy, dont climb hills floored shift down and be comfertable and plan your stops/turns ahead of time.

best of luck to ya, when you get settled again be sure to come back here and keep us updated on your truck.

11. Lil' Beast

Lil' Beast Member

Truck:
    Thanks for the advice, I drive very conservatively, and since it's an automatic it'll do the shifting for me. It is just 'bottomed on the rubber stoppers', though it appears the leafs are flat and not bowed as they should be without weight.

I put 35psi in the tires before loading the truck, the tires are rated for 41psi. Should I put more air in yet? I am very concerned about the tires overheating and blowing out on me. I thought of just driving in the early morning and afternoon so to stay off the hotter midday roads.

I figured on driving 55-60mph the whole way to CT. Had a friend have an eye surgery go bad:eek: and he's going to need someone around for a few months. I ALWAYS answer the call when a friend sends up a flare. And now that I have a Toyota pickup there's lots more new friends to help out along the road:)

Kind of worried after reading,..."your steering and braking have been severely compromised':eek: I was going to buy a trailer and yank it along behind, but could not find one used for a reasonable price. I have bad karma with puhaul:verdict_in: and won't rent from them again. At least the weather is going to be clear and dry in this part of the Country for the next week. I want to be well rested and feel like 'today's the day', before I set off. I don't want to force myself to leave on a day when I get up and am tired,etc.

12. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    i really only said that to put a lil scare into you. just dont think it will behave like it did before. you would have pretty much the same problems with a trailer with the same load, cept now you wont fishtail as much.

with a auto tran i might think about adding a cooler for the tranny fluid, it will generate a bit more heat with a load, pretty cheap upgrade, couple clamps and some hose with a junkyard oil cooler thats cleaned out.

and yes id up the psi to 40

13. Lil' Beast

Lil' Beast Member

Truck:
    Thanks Sho' I'm going to use the farm's air tank to bring the tires up to 40psi in the morning when the tires are stone cold here in NJ. It's about 60f right now in the mornings here.

Thank you for telling it like it is, I prefer straightforward answers like your's. It already has a tranny cooler on it, and a Drawtite hitch rated at 5000lbs. Not that I intend to make much use of the hitch except as a step:D But if I had a little low trailer I'd reduce the height of the load to cab roof level.

Would it be prudent to throw air bags on the leafs at this point? I'd opt for a set of 2 longer springs per side, but I can't find a local shop to do it.

14. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    if your thinking of keeping this kind of load on for a while and had the money i would add some air springs. you can level out the truck and it would handle a ton more weight.

i think adding more traditional springs is ok if your ALWAYS gonna be loaded like that, driving a truck with a ton of capacity is hard on your spleen when its unloaded. but air springs are only stiff when needed.

they are also pretty much a bolt on deal.

something like this would do nicely, could also be done a whole lot cheaper then this too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Air-...2em14QQhashZitem3ef812f5a4QQitemZ270449964452

Item number: 270449964452

15. Toyo Trucker

Toyo Trucker Addict

Based on my personal experience.

1 extra leaf will raise you car about 2". Adding 500lbs to the bed will bring the height back down to the original starting point. *Note, at the time I was also rolling on 3" blocks.

I had to add a leaf to the rear in order to haul my stunter around. Check out the pick. I had 1-2mm of clearance.

Attached Files:

16. Lil' Beast

Lil' Beast Member

Truck:
    Well, dang if I have'nt left yet:rolleyes2: I decided to unload half the bed of the truck to be on the safe side. I gained 1/2" clearence between the frame and bumper stop on the spring set:clapping: The price of air springs is out of range for me. I did get a set of the long helper springs by 'Superior Automotive'; that clamp on under the spring set. I realize they will not be a fun ride when the truck does not have a load in the bed:( But it was only $65 for the two sides set. I do have to jack up the rear to put them on as of yet.

I might dump the half off I have in the truck and return for the rest. If I find a decent deal on a trailer I might buy it and yank it back for the rest.

17. Lil' Beast

Lil' Beast Member

Truck:
    The truck rode ok, not really comfortable, but it only bottomed out on me twice in the whole 1400 miles because of 2 potholes I could not avoid. When I can afford new suspension parts I'll install them.