Solid Axle Swap or Independent Front?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by 88Sandshark, May 5, 2009.

1. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    My friend (not a member, 92 single cab) really wants to swap his front suspension for one of those All-Pro Off Road Solid Axle kits, but he doesn't use his 4x4 off road often. Can anyone with a Solid Axle front give a list of pros and cons so I can see if it's perfect for him?:shrug:

2. HaNd_SoLo

HaNd_SoLo Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 xtra cab long bed
    Solid axle gives more suspension travel and stability, IFS faster response and higher center clearance.

That depends on what type of terrain and desired tire size. If he mostly runs rocks, the solid axle will be of some benefit. Otherwise, I recommend a set of ball joint spacers and lift shackles (NOT LIFT BLOCKS!!!), with a body lift and some fender trimming if needed to fit larger tires. This will give some increased suspension travel and lift over stock (or softer ride, depending on torsion bar adjustment) while maintaining the on road handling of IFS. He's looking at under $300 for all of that vs. $1000+ for the axle swap.

3. Evolmotorsports

Evolmotorsports Veteran

Truck:
    1987 RN50 Hilux
    the ifs front ends are total crap in the dirt they offer no articulation and if you try to crawl over something slightly off camber your truck looses all center of gravity, the solid axle is by far a better offroad set up for any type of offroad condition, well if your going to granpa it in the dirt the ifs is ok, or if you buy a kit like the chaos caddy kit its pretty bitchin but jesus you could buy a new dirt bike for the cost. Tell your buddy that the all pro solid swap is probly the best bang for the buck to improve all offroad conditions.

4. Zwalker

Zwalker Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 4x4 xcab
    Sas if your offroading, no other option, end of story :) lol but from my experience solid axle on the road is like riding in a tank, not quite as comfortable as ifs

5. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    if your asking "if" he needs to do it the answer is no.

he should know he needs it because the IFS is his limiting factor off road.

by that time he should know how to do it. enuff stuff breaks on the trail that you learn quick how to "make it work" which translates to "i want crazy $hit on my truck":D

i cant drive my wheeler daily, it sucks. doesnt corner, goes every which way on the road despite new parts and constant attention. but it will go most anywhere i need to, and some places i shouldnt.

IFS is very friendly with pavement. it corners, and handles more car like. but because of the limited travel up front you cant go down some trails.

the main drawback for me is the reliability of the IFS. there are 4 U-joints and 6 axl shafts in a IFS axl. in a SFS there is only 2/4, less parts to break means less stuff breaks.

but if i had a truck that i wanted to wheel occasionally but drive it all the time i would have a IFS and just stay away from the hardcore $hit.