Please help me diagnose this "pop" in my steering

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Kev55, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

I thought it was the tie rods but they feel solid. Took it to a shop and they showed me the upper control arm bushings were bad. Replaced them and still isn't right.

Driving it feels like a bad tierod end but underneath they all seam pretty solid..

Symptoms
    - Full clock turns I get a "pop" or "clunk" sound from the front end
    - Starts to shake after 50+ mph Cruising on the highway ~70mph the shake comes & goes, but does get aggressive at times.
    - I don't feel it so much in the steering wheel but more in my feet, like rough metal on metal contact..
    - When braking, it might pull a little to either side. Locking up the front tires has also become irregularly easy..

Current Attempts
    - Had both front tires balanced
    - replaced the whole center link for a moog
    - replaced upper control on bushings on both sides for red poly bushings.
    - The stabilizer arm replaced about a year ago
    - Barrings about 6 months ago

- I've had the whole front apart and all the upper and lower balljoints felt fine, maybe a little rough on the bottom but not loosenes or play. They feel solid.
    - Took apart the bottom control arm and had some red poly bushings to replace, but the stock looked/felt perfect. I wasn't going to fight these out just to replace for lower quality bushings...
    - It sounds like a Tierod end but they all feel solid... :shrug:

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    How are the idler and pitman arms? My buddies old 79 was doing the same and it turned out the idler are was fcked. Dont ask me how lol

3. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Steering gearbox maybe ??? Was for me !

22R88

4. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Does it do it all the time? Can you make it happen while sitting still? If so, get a buddy to rack the wheel back and forth and get under the truck and look for movement and noise.

5. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    I've had both symptoms:

Does it only happen at full lock? Maybe the steering stop bolt head and steering stop needs grease (or avoid going full lock). Mine only clunked when the steering stop bolt hit the stop.

I had a bad vibration when I had 15X7 0 offset wheels on my truck. After repeatedly going back and getting the wheel rebalanced it finally went away. Then I switched to 14X6 12mm offset wheels and never had the problem. I think the suspension is sensitive to balancing when the offsets get lower.

6. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

I think if the steering box can cause something like this then it's probably the steering box. I guess this about the time when they can start to fail and I've had loose play in my steering for ever....

Also I actually found an issue with the rear trans mount and replaced for a new one and that helped a good amount with vibration.

But the other symptoms persist. So I'm probably going to change the steering box for a rebuilt I guess -__- but What MrDinke said might have some truth to this as well since I've had different offset wheels for the longest time on this and could never get this truck 'perfect' at high speed.