Project Starions!!

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Gils89pickup, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Gils89pickup

Gils89pickup Member

First of all i want to give huge shout out to SD YOTA for hooking me up with a set of starion rims thank you MANG!!! Also want to give shout out to MacRib for the inspiration to build up a Toyota pickup Thanks MAC!!!

So after getting a set of Starions from SD YOTA i couldn't decide if i wanted to get them powdercoated or polished after doing research i decided to start polishing them myself..

Here's a list of stuff i got..

Paint stripper from your local AutoZone!!!

Sandpaper 280 grit, 400 grit, 800 grit, 1000 grit, and 1500 grit also from Autozone!!

Aluminum Polishing Kit by ENKAY #142 ordered from Northern Tools..

Mother's Aluminum Polish and microfibers also from Autozone.. Did i mention i work at Autozone!!!!

Heres a picture of the rim before i started polishing them..
    067.jpg

First thing i did was use the paint stripper to strip rim down to bare metal. After that i started wet sanding.. I took a bucket of water and some dish washing liquid and started off with 280 grit sand paper.. and worked my way up to 1500 grit..
    057.jpg

After sanding the lip i couldn't decided if i wanted to do the face probably cause it was harder than i thought is was gonna be..HAha.. man my hand started hurting.. heres a pic with the lip polished didn't started on face yet..
    066.jpg

So i decide to do the face..
    072.jpg

After doing the face i decided to paint the inserts of the rim.. Saw a color at work that i liked its a burnt orange high temp engine paint..
    098.jpg

I hope you guys liked how it turned out now i just got two more to finish polishing HAHA.. Props to SD YOTA, MacRib, and macawilial...

2. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Wow those turned out great. What color truck are the wheels going on? Also how long did each wheel take to do?

3. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    nice job those look nice.

4. GrantH

GrantH Addict

so sick!

5. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    lovin it!

6. Gils89pickup

Gils89pickup Member

Thanks guys!! Truck is at the shop getting body work done right now!! Truck is gonna get painted orange a little brighter than the rim orange!! here's pic of rim on truck!!
    083.jpg

heres more pictures of rim in the sun!!!!
    095.jpg
    097.jpg
    093.jpg

7. topcop182

topcop182 Addict

Truck:
    1993 single cab 2wd
    what size tires are those? also, how did you get the spokes so smooth and polished looking?

8. Gils89pickup

Gils89pickup Member

Tire size is 195-45 R16.. Elbow grease man!! I just keep sanding them till the machine finish was gone.. Started with 280grit till the spokes were smooth.. Then worked my way to 1500grit.. Was a
    lot of work still haven't finish the other two but I think it was worth it.. :)

9. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    What brand tires are those? That is going to be a clean mini none the less.

10. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    those look sharp :waytogo:

11. Gils89pickup

Gils89pickup Member

Brand called Achilles ATR sports.. Thanks Da_Roach!

12. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    Looking good bro, I was a manager at AZ up till about 3 months ago. Started as a side job and when the body shop closed I went fulltime for 2 years.... Just couldnt take the bs for the pay anymore.

13. Gils89pickup

Gils89pickup Member

Thanks bro!! Hahah I know what u mean bout AZ.. If it wasn't for a good buddy of mine (my store manager aka "MacRib" ) i don't know if I could take all the bs at AZ so instead we share the bs between us!! :)

14. FOKAI

FOKAI Veteran

Truck:
    84 truck, 05 4Runner
    Bling bling! Quick tip if you have access to a mini orbital air sander, that will save your fingers.:waytogo: Because your polishing the flat surfaces of the wheel spoke it should fit. Learned that the hard way when I was polishing some wheels.:looney: Other than that good work! Wish I still had my 94. Be sure to post pics when the trucks gets done painted.

15. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    Very clean. Im going to love this color your painting it. Not to many trucks or cars with that color. Cant wait. Oh ya when ever you want to sell those rims let me know first, i been looking for some of those.

16. Gils89pickup

Gils89pickup Member

I know FOKAI! SD YOTA just sent me a picture of that sander you were talking bout after the fact.. hahah now I know for next time if I decide to polish another set of rims.. I'll post pics of truck as soon as it gets out of shop.. thanks for the tip KOKAI..

Thank you Dgerfan55!! I can't wait to see truck painted and the rims on it.. Yeah I kinda picked a color that you don't see everyday!! But if I do decide to sell the rims I'll let you know :) but I think I gotta ask SD YOTA first I think he wants them back NOW!!!..haHaHA...

17. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    __GOD DAM THOSE WHEELS ARE P.I.M.P!!!
    i wanna do like a candy purple sort of look on the insert, that burnt orange is AMAZING!

18. FOKAI

FOKAI Veteran

Truck:
    84 truck, 05 4Runner
    Another tip which worked good for me was that keep sanding that bad boy until it's shiny. I used my finger nail reflection as a gauge.:D Then cut it with the compound and finish with the mother's polish.

19. Gils89pickup

Gils89pickup Member

I still have fine sanding marks left on face of the rims any tips to remove them ??

20. yankeetaco72

yankeetaco72 Veteran

Truck:
    82 short /97 Tacoma
    We have another local SD brother? Those wheels came out sic! Man I should have jumped on those wheels when SD Yota offered them to me! Anyway lets see them on the truck as soon as it gets out of the shop. Your truck better be slammed just like Macs!