How To Tail Light Mod: Flipping turn signals

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by SD YOTA, Mar 27, 2010.

1. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    Ok..... so per special request i went ahead and documented this mod today for those of you who have half clear or full clear tail lights.

this mod flips the rear turn signals from the stock upper bulb turn signal location to the mid backup light location. this will make it to where the stock backup lights now flash as your turn signals, and the stock turn signals now light up as your backup indicators.

MacRib was the original pioneer in this mod as i got the idea from him waaaaay back before i got the lux. both his truck and mine now rock this cool little mod. what exactly is the gain in doing this? none really........ you get a bit more light shed from the upper light slot since it has a bigger opening. beyond all else it just looks cool (in our theory) :waytogo:

this mod applies to ANY toyota truck years ranging from 84 pickups and 4Runners all the way through the 04 tacoma since the layout is the same.

Tools required for the Mod:
    - you will need a handy dandy phillips screwdriver in order to remove the tail light housing.
    -1 very small pointy item in order to press the hold down pins in the connection plug. i used a test light since the end is small enough.
    you will first need to remove your tail light housing as it will be easier to work with and locate the plugs.

1-
    start off by removing all the screws from the tail light housing and pull out the housing from its place. press the clip holding the connector for the tail light housing down in order to separate the plug. once separated you will now have access to the rear of the housing.

2-
    locate the rear portions of the bulb sockets from the backup and turn signal on the housing. you will notice out of both of these buckets, there are 2 wires.

[​IMG]
    Shot with X400,D580Z,C460Z at 2010-03-27

note that one wire is soldered to the metal side of the bucket. that is your ground. the other coming out from the center of the bucket is your positive power wire.

as pointed out in the picture below, the power from the turn signal is green with yellow stripe, and the one from the backup is red.
    [​IMG]

3-
    track these two wire to the back end of the plug connector. note the position of the wires on the plug. this will be the same for all models pickups 84-04

(for clarification i have cleared away the other wires from the plug so you can clearly see the position of the wires and what two you will need to swap)
    [​IMG]

4-
    you will now need that sharp tool i mentioned about to push down on the holding clips to slide out the spade connectors from the main plug.
    [​IMG]

5-
    press down on the center portions of the spade connectors where they rise in order to slide the clips out.
    [​IMG]

6-
    this is how the wires are positioned stock.
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2010-03-27

once you slip both wires out and swap them, this will be their new arrangement.
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2010-03-27

7-
    once done, repeat the steps above to the other side. once that is done you can now test out your new mod!! crack open a cold drink of your choice and watch the light works display! :drinking:

84-88 tails.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2010-03-27

89-94 tails....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. skahide

skahide Member

sweet

3. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Thanks you for a well detailed write up. I will work on this when I get back from travel this weekend.

4. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    no prob :waytogo:

5. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    so you got a smaller binker and larger backup light? sweet deal. thats why i like my 78 lenses...huge backup spot.

6. skahide

skahide Member

not to side track, but the 89-94 tails, did you paint the inside housing? my clears dont look that good, lit up, or not.

7. tyme_fo_play

tyme_fo_play Addict

Truck:
    MY PRIDE MY JOY MY TOY!
    i'm doing this mod tommrow cause i have nothing else better to do. thanks sd.

8. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    actually i did. i used some red anodizing paint i found at the local parts store. i sprayed it with 2 coats and they just naturally glow red when not lit..... but even deeper red when lit.
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2010-04-09

i also picked up a couple of these bulbs. they are imported and unlikely to be found anywhere here in the US unless you go to an import shop of some sort. theyre a bit pricey but worth it.... they light up good enough in combination to keep the popo's from lookin twice. :waytogo:

[​IMG]
    Shot with X400,D580Z,C460Z at 2010-04-09

not a problem man. glad this kept you busy :waytogo:

9. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    This was a great write up. I did the swap and could not be happier. Great little trick to catch people who drive these of guard.

10. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    yup! :evil:

11. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    cool mod & great write up

12. Annagyijjk

Annagyijjk Newbie

I am going to look at both your suggestions and look for any good deals on these. Thanks again for the help.

13. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    ie had this idea lol but i was thinking both the turn signal and reverse light should light up when u hit reverse and the original reverse when u signal nice step by step process:waytogo:

14. ToYo828

ToYo828 Newbie

Truck:
    1989 regular cab 22r
    so the signals r in the middle???
    i just tried mine out thanks...