HID Lights

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Toyota530, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Toyota530

Toyota530 Veteran

Truck:
    94 toy xcab
    I just bough some hid lights for my pickup but i was wondering whats the difference between the ones with normal bulbs (plug-in and ready) vs Conversion kits...?

2. 89dlx47

89dlx47 Veteran

Truck:
    89 standard 2wd
    for the conversion kit you mean to get rid of the sealed beam head lights and go to the h4 style bulbs? thats wat i had to do then i got the the hid kit with the ballast. i think the conversion kit you are talking about gives you those blue halogen bulbs. thats how mine was anyways. let me know if im not making sense, ill explain it better wen i get home from work and have some actual time to break it all down for ya

3. Toyota530

Toyota530 Veteran

Truck:
    94 toy xcab
    ya, i was trying to get like that bmw white-blue color, but wasnt sure what the conversion was all about, i know my truck had these hid bulbs that were white-blue but sold them because i got a 92-94 4runner conversion.... but anways, whats the difference between these hid halogens vs h4?

4. 89dlx47

89dlx47 Veteran

Truck:
    89 standard 2wd
    oh you have a newer 4runner conversion? then all you have to do is get the hid kit that has the ballasts. the h4 lights are wat you have now. its just a halogen bulb that just plugs into the socket unlike the hids where you hook the bulb to a ballast tthen the ballast to the socket

5. Toyota530

Toyota530 Veteran

Truck:
    94 toy xcab
    actually i mean't i got a 4runner front conversion on my pickup =) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95-Toyota-4Runner-Cool-Blue-Xenon-Headlights-9004_W0QQitemZ300326313624QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item45ecd7de98&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A317 Thats what i bought is says just plug and play, but theres other hid lights that need those ballasts things and new wiring... i was just wondering whats their difference... sorry im confusing you :shrug:

6. 89dlx47

89dlx47 Veteran

Truck:
    89 standard 2wd
    ya those arent true hids. they are just reagular bulbs painted blue. if you want the real ones you have to get the ones with the ballasts and such. im bout to leave work so wen i get home ill post an ebay link for ya

7. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Arnt stock pickup headlights H4s?

I know for mines i just changed the bulb to 9004

8. Toyota530

Toyota530 Veteran

Truck:
    94 toy xcab
    ok cool, sounds good. Once i get them, i'll try them on and see if they are what i wanted.. =)

9. 89dlx47

89dlx47 Veteran

Truck:
    89 standard 2wd
    i dont know about every truck but mine were sealed beam which were a bitch cuz you had to take the grille of to get the whole bulb out.

this is wat i got basicly just not the 4 runner set up. i would suggest finding the ones with the highs and lows. i have just the lows and everyday i wish i had the highs. oh and get the ones with the slim ballasts. they are so much better than the big ones cuz you can mount them anywhere and the work way better than the big ones
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

10. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    sealed beams

11. 89dlx47

89dlx47 Veteran

Truck:
    89 standard 2wd
    yup. unless you got a newer 4 runner front end already on iti do believe

12. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    lets see if i can break it down for you

Dont let these chinese ebayers fool you with those "xenon bulbs" trust me you will be very disappointed in the output..If you wanted a brighter bulb without getting HIDs get some Sylvania Silverstars or some PIAA bulbs..all those ebay bulbs are crap and i bet your output will be worse,they are not HID bulbs in any way!!

Now like stated before true HIDs have a ballast and should be run with a wiring harness..Our trucks use one bulb for hi and low beams..IMO i would never buy one of these HID kits that has the halogen bulb with the HID bulb in one(bixenon)..those halogen bulbs are crap for highs see the pic..stay away from those!!
    [​IMG]

get one of these
    [​IMG]

Now when/if you buy a HID kit I have had good luck with ebay kits i usually buy from one guy,but again i have had an ebay kit on my truck for years with no failures..BUT i am using OEM HID bulbs which means i am NOT using the bulb that came with the kit..i am using a OEM D2S bulb which looks like this
    [​IMG]

..there is no wires on it like a "kit" if you go this route you need both of these(adapter and shield)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

again this is what i run..i prefer OEM bulbs to cheap ebay bulbs..i've had this set up for years and it has not failed

here is a quick comparo of my "xenon bulbs" and a true hid bulb..this is both halogens vs 1 hid bulb in a OEM BMW projector

halogens
    [​IMG]

ONE hid
    [​IMG]

I am working on a "retrofit" which means you are using OEM projectors from say a lexus,bmw,mercedes and you fit them "retrofit" them in your headlights

this is what mine will look like
    [​IMG]

here is a better picture of the parts,these projectors are hi/low projectors "bixenon" they have a shield that opens up by a solenoid allowing more light to come out when you hit the brights
    [​IMG]

go over to hidplanet.com tons of good info there!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  13. 89dlx47

89dlx47 Veteran

Truck:
    89 standard 2wd
    i must say that is a very good explanation. thats exactly wat i was trying to say. lol

14. Toyota530

Toyota530 Veteran

Truck:
    94 toy xcab
    im trying to convert my 89 pickup headlight plugs with autozone 4runner plugs but they're different colors, does anybody know which color goes where??

15. 89dlx47

89dlx47 Veteran

Truck:
    89 standard 2wd
    why do you want to do that? arent they the same?

16. Toyota530

Toyota530 Veteran

Truck:
    94 toy xcab
    it's because i have 4runner headlight and i need to wire the new 4runner plugs, i did the front end conversion.

17. nvrenufedge

nvrenufedge Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bagged '93 std cab
    I put the Sylvania Silverstar headlamps on my truck, made a huge difference!. I would like to get the H4 lights. Don't they have a bulb and a housing where you just replace the bulb, like on newer cars? Unlike the factory lights that you have to replace the whole lamp.