toyota complete locked 3rd ready to drop in.

Discussion in 'Parts and Accessories' started by SD YOTA, Jan 9, 2009.

1. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    Have a welded up toyota 8 inch rear 3rd member for the 2wd truck ready to drop in. Has 3:07 gears, was tested and run's quiet. no gear whine.

This diff was welded up by Beefed Taco using a design we came up with. This desighn was tested, run, and proven to hold up in a 300+ HP turbo tacoma launching with full drag slicks. I run this same wleded desighn on my daily driver and love it! I dont think i need to go into details of how fun this is in the rain :evil:

I had this as a spare during testing and dont need it any more. Had it modified and selling as a ready to drop in Locked Diff. Will fit in any truck equipped with a 4 speed. if you dont know if it will fit in your truck, look at the center of the rear axle and look for the 4 casting lines on the center hub of the axle. if you have 4 lines, it fits. if you have only 2, minor modifications will be necessary to clear the 8 inch ring gear.

Asking $150..... you pay shipping. if interested, post your zip and ill get to you on shipping cost.

get this diff and get these same tire melting results..... :evil:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    would consider trades also for a few items im looking for...... here's what im in search of.

- 22r tranny short throw shifter
    - light weight flywheel (9lb prefferably)
    - .............................. for some reason i cant remember what else i was looking for at the moment :doah:

well, those two items are the main things i am currently looking for

if you guys want, PM me an offer and i will take it into consideration. its $150 OBO

3. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    bump....

no one? :shrug:

4. Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Addict

I can vouch that these locked diffs hold up great. Every person that has got one loves the thing! It's a totally affordable way to have a fully locked rear end without spending a ton of money. Drop it in and go! SD YOTA has been testing the hell out of these things and if you've seen his "action" video's, then you know. These are tried and true. We pay close attention to detail when welding them up and use a unique process involving the use of 4 separate plates in the carrier that add more strength than any drifter would ever need. They work! :waytogo:

5. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    what welding process are you using to weld the gears?

6. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    well, its pretty extensive......

we take a good diff, weld in all the spiders in like a "traditionally" welded diff. we weld the center pin to the gears as well. we then weld the gears to the spider gear housing at any and every angle we can make a contact point. we then use a filler plate to go in between the gears near the center pin from the spiders. we weld that in at every contact point. we then make another fill in plate to position it higher almost flat against the outter edge of the spider gear housing and weld it to every contact point as well.......... check it out.

top plate being fitted.

[​IMG]

plate welded in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

like Beefed said..... ive done extensive "testing :evil: and there have been no issues. other than a little chirp here and there around a tight corner, it behaves like you dont even have anything back there around town and on the highway. there's currently 4 trucks running around with this modification and all are daily driven with no complaints. 1 of wich is a 300+ hp turbo tacoma. i think we hit it on with these diffs. i took the welded diff idea someone had and took it 2 steps further. :waytogo:

7. Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Addict

Well said Alex. It really is pretty much a huge chunk of steel when we're done. We take care to not get welding splatter on any of the gears or bearings by covering them and not letting the ground clamp ground through the bearings, I hook it to the carrier itself. Dry pavement tested daily by SD YOTA's right foot. :waytogo:

8. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    yup! :evil:

9. phatmitzu

phatmitzu Veteran

Truck:
    93 Standard Cab 5spd
    I have a 5 speed std. Its a 1993.
    It won't fit right?

So its $65 if I take out mine and ship it to you to get welded?

10. Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Addict

All 7.5" 3rd's should swap. Alex has been buying them and having me weld them up. I'd PM him and see what he wants to do, otherwise I have no problem welding yours and re shipping it back. There are about 5 trucks using these now with 0 problems. Every person is real happy with theirs.

11. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i meant what process, but i see it is mig. i was basically wondering about the spatter issue. you ever try that spray on spatter protector crap?

12. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    sorry, forgot to mention that it was mig welded. :doah: :D

buddy of mine used it on some stuff we were welding and it prevented anything from sticking but it was hell trying to get it off... :brickknock:

13. blazinrola80

blazinrola80 Member

wow you still have..hmm

14. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    yup. still have the 8". the 7.5 is more common and easier to move. the 8, unless you want to convert to higher gearing or want a replacement to the original 4 speed diff is kinda more rare of a demand for.

15. Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Addict

I make sure NO welding spatter finds it's way onto ANYTHING. I know how important that is....especially in a diff. I use a few layers of thick duct tape and tape off everything but the area I'm welding. I have it down to a science now. It would be hard to TIG these due to all the area's and gaps that I fill in with welds. I won't even fire the welder up until everything is covered and can't get any spatter on it. :waytogo:

16. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    yup. even then i still make sure we get a flushing on the diff on anyone's install at around 50-100 miles with good oil.

everyone keeps to what i tell em and no problems have come up nor complaints. :waytogo:

17. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    update. im willing to let this go for $100 + shipping.

need the cash and i need to make room on my bench.... :waytogo:

bump for a seriously cheap and effective traction upgrade :D

18. will

will Newbie

I daily drove a 4x4 with welded rear diff for years, never had an issue. We welded it just like this with the filler plates, gears to each other, to the housing etc. I used to beat the holy crap out of that truck. That diff out lived most of the rest of the truck.. LOL :clapping:

19. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    :lol: i wondered how this would hold on a 4x4 but figured it wouldnt do too well with big tires...... i may be wrong :thinking:

20. BarTo

BarTo Member

Truck:
    80' 2wd, 85 rockcrawler
    I run welded 3rd's in the front and back of my trail rig. With 36" tires and dual transfer cases I break axle shafts and birfields long before the welds break. Actually I have never had my welds fail in any way. I don't go to nearly the extent that you do and rarely cover anything to prevent spatter (hardened gears eat up what ever is in there). I have daily driven over 20K miles like this with no issues.Although I do preheat the carrier and regulate the cool down time to at least 24hours, to ensure no warping or heat fatigued in the cast portions. I am sure that yours are very solid with your technique though.

Good luck with the sale