Curt's 78 P/U Project Thread...

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by CurtisZ, Aug 1, 2009.

1. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    looking better already

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    theres a shop here in lynnwood call bow wow, they are a vw shop. but have pretty much everything for webbers. id take it there with you, they can look in the books to see what jets you might need. and which rebuild kit you need. theyre on 196th st about half mile east of I-5

3. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    Sweet! I'll look into it!

Thanks

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    yep. whatever they dont have in stock they can order. good prices too. they can get you adapters and linkage parts too.

5. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    [​IMG]

Got driver seat mounted over the weekend. Still have to do passenger.

I'm pretty happy with it, though I may have to chop the stick down. It feels way to high for comfort.

6. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    Went to the pull-a-part... There was a 78 SR5 there with most of the interior left...

Got some rims that were on it:
    [​IMG]

Got the buckets:
    [​IMG]
    (I think these will look a little better than the red ones I got)

I also scored some nice black carpet from it. There was also some carpet on the back wall I scored. I yanked the seat belts as well.

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    haha. the reason that he says "most of the interior left" was because i got there first. lol. i got the cluster, console, door panels, kick panels, ect. its all going into either my truck, curts truck, or 77yoters truck. itll get used. no junkyard hilux part gets past us. :D

8. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    painted hood
    [​IMG]

painted passenger fender (yes, I need to sand and repaint under the Toyota emblem)
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I'll have the new driver door on Sunday... but I'm not holding my breath... I've been promising the door for a couple weeks now...

9. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    My turn for a semi-WOT vid

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mi88GNA1CKI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mi88GNA1CKI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

So, I was going to really kick it open, but then a vehicle decided it *should* get in front of me at the light... d@mn-it-all...

10. white93turbotruck

white93turbotruck Enthusiast

let me know if you ever want to sell your truck.i would love to buy it!!!!

11. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    LOL! I hope you know the truck sounds the way it does out of pure PO neglect!

Besides, I bought it for $500. I have about that much into it now, but if I sell it, I would not be comfortable taking $500 for it. I bought this one for the long haul.

12. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    Very happy 78 SR5 Bucket Seats Added!
    [​IMG]

SB88 - you still have that SR5 center console?!?

Eeek... Forgot to take a picture of the 'new' driver door on... I'll get it tomorrow...

13. white93turbotruck

white93turbotruck Enthusiast

how much??? i get a settlement next year.but i'm also selling my 90 b2200.so whatever price.i'll save to buy it!!!i seriously want one. i would pefer to buy one from someone on this fourm.i know you take care of the truck too!!! i'll do whatever it takes to save for it.my girlfriend doesn't drive.so i can pretty much get anything i want.but thesse trucks are so hard to find.just let me know!!! later man!!!

14. 77yoter

77yoter Veteran

Truck:
    77 sr5 shortbed, 81 shortbed, 90 4x4
    i have a stock sr5 center console from my 77 if your interested

15. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Yep. His is tan. He told me about it. But yeah, I still have the console. And those kick panels. I just need to trace them for future referance.

16. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    So, the truck had a set back on 6/1/10...

I decided to drive my p/u to work and home (29 miles one way). I wanted to show it to a few co-workers that have been asking, and it is a little shorter distance then the June meet location, so it would be a good test run.

I got to work; no problems. She ran pretty well (with the occasional back fire in deceleration and between shifts).

I get 97% home, and it starts running like crap. It sounds like a badly tuned lawnmower, and there is an amazing drop in power. I pull it over and pop the hood. Lo-and-behold... Number one spark plug is sitting against the driver side fender (luckily I brought my tools).

I let things cool down, then I take my spark plug socket, attach it to an extension, attach it to a ratchet, and begin to screw the plug back in. The plug fit nicely at first. Ratchet, ratchet, ratchet, ratchet, ratchet (with effort), ratchet (with more effort)... Hmm... that doesn't seem right... Pull my tool off the spark plug and look... Hmm... it should go in *much* further than that... Put tool on, and reverse... D@MN-IT-ALL-TO-H3LL! The spark plug threads and the thread in the spark plug hole are absoultely F|_|(K3D! I'm less than five miles from home, and this happens! :: VENTING ::

Anyway, I put the spark plug back in until it got to that add effort part, put the plug wire on, and limped it home.

Guess I'll be fixing a spark plug hole soon.... Real soon...

17. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Thats ****ty man. You could drill it out and helicoil it. Or find a new head. Sounds like you gotta do a headgasket too, since if you drill it you will put shavings into the bore. Thats a bummer, I had a few spare heads kicking around a while back that I tossed. That yellow 78 still has a head, grab that one. HG isn't too tough. Bummer though.

18. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    Yeah, I've got to figure something out *this* weekend... else I bring my '08 Borolla to the meet...

I could get that head... I got to see what kind of funds I can burn this weekend... I sit here and look in my wallet, and I see a Lincoln, which isn't much help...

but if I do a head and new HG, I might as well do the timing chain and front main... and if I go that far... I might as well yank the engine and re-ring and re-gasket...

19. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Well, if you are gonna put a timing chain in, put it into that motor I have with a fresh head and gasket, then we can swap it all in as one unit. I've got that new intake I'm going to port out as well. Might take a little longer than you expected but it would be the most cost effective way to get it together. Then you'd have a good flowing intake, fresh timing chain and seals, and a solid head gasket. Me and you can work out a deal for the motor and intake.

20. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    Doesn't sound like a bad idea...

I just got the a-o-k from the misses about pulling a head at the bone yard. I wanted to pull one on my way home from work this evening, but it'll have to wait 'till, at earliest, Friday on my way home from work.

Before reading this, I was thinking about doing the head swap w/o pulling timing cover and oil pan. I was then going to save to buy that spare block of yours and get it in later when there was not a time crunch for me to have the p/u running.