91 Dually Build

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Packmule, Jan 11, 2024.

1. Packmule

Packmule Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota 1 ton Dually
    Not a very productive week. I did manage to remove the steering column, front and rear driveshafts, most of the mounting bolts, intake, alternator, power steering pump, exhaust, door wiring pigtails, gas pedal assembly, ecm and engine harness.
    20240227_121054.jpg
    Don't believe the youtube videos. It takes longer than 8 minutes to get that harness disconnected and fished out!
    That's as far as I'll get this week. It's coming out Monday though! Have a good weekend and Happy Wrenchin!

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    That's great progress!! But hey at least you're doing it the correct way and not using a sawsall to everything!! Hahah

3. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Are you going to use the column? Is it a tilt column ?

4. Packmule

Packmule Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota 1 ton Dually
    Not sure if I'm going to use it or not. I like the looks of it. I know I'm going to keep the cruise control switch and wiring. If I keep the ignition switch, I might be able to keep the VATS. Need to take measurements before I decide. Yes, it's a tilt column.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    Erwin Merida likes this.
  5. Packmule

Packmule Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota 1 ton Dually
    Engine is finally out! Waiting for gaskets, oil pump, and timing chain and gear set. 20240312_172148.jpg

Pulled these while i was at it. Going to list them for sale. 20240312_172139.jpg

Suburban is gone. First order of business is to clean this garage! What a mess. I forgot that it's nearly impossible to catch all, if any, of the fluids. I should buy stock in oil dry! Everything is going to get prepped and painted as I reassemble. Starting with the frame. I've seen some people epoxying frame, engine, body components before primer and paint. Is the added time and expense worth it? Is it possible to get the same life span without doing it? What is everybodys opinion on truck bed lining for the frame. I won't use por15. I've seen to many failures with that stuff.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  6. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    A clean work environment is very rewarding. This is great progress. Any aftermarket goodies planned for the engine or keeping it stock?

7. Packmule

Packmule Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota 1 ton Dually
    This one will be kept stock. At right around 300hp, 335 lb-ft of torque I think is plenty to start with. Might just pick up another 5.3 and start a build on it then swap them out. Really want to get this one on the road, though.
    BTW, Erwin, I really like the way your engine paint turned out. What was your process and products that you used? Never painted aluminum before.

8. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Cleaning every bit of grease and grime the engine bay and long block have is important. Im also painting the drivetrain.. about 80% done except the block and head. I prime/base coat everything. Once you start with paint, your going to want to give it 2/3 lite passes. The first one is really just to get things tacky. Once paint is almost dry, I ran 2 coats of clear. Everything I mentioned was for high heat.

Rust-Oleum 2000° high heat primer
    VHT high heat metallic paint
    2k clear

Yup, all rattle can!
    This was for both engine bay and engine parts. I sprayed the tunnel as well.

9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    If you have a media blaster, this saves you heaps of time and pain if you have big fat fingers like me.. hehehe

10. Packmule

Packmule Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota 1 ton Dually
    Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I don't have a big enough air compressor to support air tools. It's on the list. Until then everything will be done manually. Drills, wire wheels, brushes, etc. I just found this KBS paint system. Might go with it. Cost compatible to Rustoleum. I like the all inclusive system.