Aftermarket exhaust 22r

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by SteveWippins, Mar 10, 2024.

1. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Howdy! I've been thinking about changing up the exhaust on my bone-stock 22r (1988 2wd short bed)
    I've seen videos of trucks with LCE headers and full exhaust system, and it sounds pretty great but the price is a bit more than I'm looking to spend to make the truck a little louder. What have you guys done, or seen others do that you think sounds good without breaking the bank?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Flowtech header and a custom exhaust

SteveWippins likes this.
  3. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Thanks for the recommendation man, I'll have to look into Flowtech

4. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    MUCH more reasonable pricing on those IMO, I'll have to hit up the local exhaust shop for a quote on the rest. Then again, the guy who welded onto my MR2 seats may be able to do it as well. The guy does just about everything. He has a S13 with a Mazda 3 front end lmao

5. RetirementToy

RetirementToy Member

Truck:
    1988 Toyota Extra Cab 2WD
    It is more than just sound! When you increase the inflow & or outflow the engine will perform much better!
    The first thing always done in the hot rod world!

Erwin Merida and SteveWippins like this.
  6. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Very true! That would just be an added bonus in my case. My odometer has froze up on me twice since the time I've owned the truck, and right now it's showing 230-something thousand miles. When my dad brought it to this guy he's known forever to put a new carburetor in, it was stuck right at 250k miles. So what I'm getting at is, I have no idea how many miles are on this thing, but I know it's well over 250k. I don't expect it to perform all that great (other than being reliable) and I don't expect it to make much power. A better sound is really what I'm after, because it's super quiet as is. But any performance gains will just be icing on the cake for me!