How is mouse getting in my truck?

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by James Werle, Oct 1, 2017.

1. James Werle

James Werle Newbie

Guys, i could use some help figuring out how mice are getting into my 1984 long bed pickup truck with 167,000 miles on it. They have somehow gotten into the airduct system as when i turn on the blower there is a putrid smell that stinks so bad! The vents blow out pieces of fur and crap. I cleaned out the blower on the passenger side (there was a small nest in it) but it still stinks and so far i've killed two mice with traps so they are still getting in somehow. I just can't figure out how!! Any idea how they can even get in the duct system in the first place? The intake vents on the hood have the plastic grills on them that seem small enough to keep mice out but i might be wrong about that. Is there any where else i should check? I really want to get this fixed cause my truck really reeks and my wife won't drive in it with me anymore! Please help!

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Check the firewall and the floor.

3. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    check the vents for dead mice.

4. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    To keep them out go to the dollar store & buy any hair spray, spray it in the engine bay at around any & all entry points no matter how small.Sray in on the air filter inlet & across the door jams, & inside the cab around the blower box & any place where wires come into the cab.
    They don't like the taste or smell!!

5. James Werle

James Werle Newbie

Thanks a lot for that pro tip. I'll definitely give that a try. Does anyone know if the grill vents on the hood near the windshield are the only inlets to the ventilation system? I'm having a hard time seeing how mice are getting in there to be honest! It looks pretty closed up.

6. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    They can get through a 1/8'' opening.
    Sray at those vents & in the engine bay all across the cowl!

7. James Werle

James Werle Newbie

8. JW266

JW266 Newbie

The drain holes in the floor of the cab should have rubber plugs but might wanna check the rears behind/under the seats. Also the rockers are hollow with holes for water to drain. Rockers aren't sealed from the fenders. Run a garden hose into the vent between windshield and hood and watch where the water comes out. I like the hair spray idea. Mice/rats/raccoons/thieves are all the same. If they want what you got they'll get it. Just gotta make the juice NOT worth the squeeze!

9. Hands_On_Henry

Hands_On_Henry Member

Truck:
    1985 22R/4spd
    I see this is older now, but I'll throw in my 2...
    Mice hate dryer sheets, I don't know why but they wont touch em, we learned this when my parents had a cabin that we didn't use very often. You can pack them in tight spots or lay them flat. I now use them in my shed for tractors and dirt bikes in the winter.
    Also, when my wife and I had our FJ Cruiser we were having the same problems with mice as the OP. We eventually found that we had to turn the interior climate controls to "re-circulate" otherwise the fresh air inlet was a wide open door to our heater box. Once we started parking the FJ with the "door" closed we had no further problems.

10. JW266

JW266 Newbie

Kinda funny that shortly after reading this thread I found rat shit on the trans in my chicks Chevy Traverse while I was changing a headlight bulb. She almost killed me when I wanted to douche her car in her fancy hair spray but found an old can of cheap shit. Now I gotta climb in there and see if it kept him out