1975 drift hilux build

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Sam, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Sam

Sam Newbie

So the hilux is coming along strong traveling for work put a few set backs and I've sold my turbo frs for a 2015 Cummins since then the Cummins got a twin disc clutch egr delete and dog delete with a tuner. But the 75 hilux is mustang 2 front swapped ford 8.8 rear end 4 link with pbm coils all the way around 20gal fuel tank 1uzfe with adaptronic tuner 12 point cage bbs wheels and a few other bits and pieces

Attached Files:

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Nice build bro. Post more pics if you have em

3. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Nice. Will this be turbo-ed?

4. Sam

Sam Newbie

Yes soon as I Adjust the suspension I'm putting gt35s on it oh and the 1uzfe is connected to a r154 5 speed manual

5. Sam

Sam Newbie

Here are some more pictures I'm currently traveling for work so nothing super recent

Attached Files:

6. speedkills

speedkills Newbie

Kind of going the same route as you are but was curious as to how much work it was to get the 1uz in there ? Frame rails widened? And I'm assuming crossmembers had to be cut out and new ones put in. Any info would help.

7. Sam

Sam Newbie

Don't do it. It was the biggest pain ever. Front subframe removed all New suspension, headers barely fit come out in the front then loop back no room between the frame and trans for exhaust if I was to do it over again I would have done a 3sgte or a 1jz or 2jz the 1uzfe is too big for the engine bay. Oh and tuning is a nightmare. No tuners on the east coast I can find that want to mess with it luckily I'm in Oklahoma with the truck for a few weeks and will be heading to Dallas to get it tuned ​

Attached Files:

8. speedkills

speedkills Newbie

Lol this is exactly what I was expecting. Thank you man. I'll look into the jz route. I was reading about the 3s but those are a nightmare to find anyone who will work on the dual vvti if something internally went wrong. I think I'm gonna stick my original course then and keep looking for a 4a.

9. Sam

Sam Newbie

So after a few weeks of waiting for a tune I got it tuned last Monday truck runs amazing. Made decent numbers for a stock 1uzfe on a mustang lately I've been tuning the suspension and throwing it into a few corners seeing how it's gonna work it's definitely beating my expectations

Attached Files:

stacy likes this.
  10. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Awesome truck.
    Got any pics of how you did the IFS swap and crammed that engine in there?
    Did you start with individual Mustang suspension parts or one of those sub-frame kits they can make?

Sam likes this.
  11. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Nice build. So, was the end result worth the effort of the swap? 1uz swaps are not the easiest but I love the end result.

12. Sam

Sam Newbie

Yes the swap was worth it! It was a pain and no room! But gt28s will be going on very soon. It's quick but not quick enough! I used a subframe kit but had to cut 4inchs out of it to lower the truck more!

Attached Files:

13. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Which subframe kit did you install?

14. rusty_shackleford

rusty_shackleford Newbie

BUMP!!!! Hell of a good thread mate, very happy to see this project. And I've got to parrot everyone else - more pictures please! lol

I'm in the planning stages of building a 77 drift hilux. Didn't start out that way, but it's looking like that's how she'll end up. It's a budget build so I'm working with a 7MGE hand-me-down that I'm actually quite excited about. I'm planning on an 8.8 for the rear as it's a budget build, and for the front I've been leaning towards assembling a mustang ii over swapping a supra style front end from the junkyard.

Can't wait to see some videos uploaded of you burning rubber and getting sideways!