Looking for a pre-smog cab

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Eutahg, May 15, 2017.

1. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    I can tell you there are only a few early years of 22R blocks it works with, and it's not huge gains. Getting higher compression pistons works with all years, and if you have a cam and some head work done (or order an engnbldr or LCE head), you'll be able to more than surpass the gains of the hybrid setup.

That said, an engine swap to something more modern is also a cost-effective way toward horsepower. You can cram any Toyota engine in there you want (*some do require more work than others). I recommend the 1GZ if you can get one :lol:

2. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

1GZ? Has that been done before? Will that fit in a mini?

3. Eutahg

Eutahg Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Pickup, 22r 2WD
    haha now thats a good troll! I would like to swap, but only because I want EFI. Since I can do that already, I dont really feel a need to swap. more than anything, I'd like to get a block and build it all nice n purdy-like with all the fancy bits, but you know, we all cant have race car stuff

4. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    If you're not looking for big power gains, restoring the engine and adding EFI is a fine choice.

5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Yeah I kinda figured that's what he was gonna do -- as long as you've got the paperwork already on a pre-smog you can simply do whatever you want, I dunno if you'd ever have to take it in for inspection as it's "grandfathered in" already.

There's tons of info out there for the hybrid 20/22r engine. Lots of info on 4x4 sites. I love the idea of it but for my time and $ I'm leaning more toward a straight up engine swap on my 75 unless a 22r drops in my lap for free. I'll likely either go with a 2/3rz from a Tacoma or I'll end up buying a 1uz lexus for $1k and figure out how to stuff that beast in there - because v8 :)

Utility 77 and Eutahg like this.
  6. Utility 77

Utility 77 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Reg Cab w a utility bed
    They have had smog on them !!!!!! Just does not need to be tested

7. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Correct. If you live in Cali the CARB does not conduct emissions test on pre 1976 cars and trucks. “BUT” the emission components original to that model have to be in place and pass a visual inspection.
    My comments on this thread were in reference to changing VINs to make your later model truck look older. Again, as an inspector if I see a 1975 truck come in with hardware and components that weren’t mandated until say 1978, it would make me curious and want to do further checking.

Utility 77 likes this.
  8. Utility 77

Utility 77 Enthusiast

Truck:
    75 and 76 are the same....very few changes for 77-78...both have air pumps and way too many vacuum lines... Lol so it s easy to make a 77 or 78 look like a 75 with very little work

9. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Yep, until someone like me gets suspicious . First thing I’d do is compare the chassis ID Plate (drivers side inner fender) and be sure it matched with the # etched on the frame (left frame rail just forward of the lower A-arm). No match and then the fun begins.
    Check for yourself. You may need a wire brush to find the #,but it’s there.

10. Utility 77

Utility 77 Enthusiast

Truck:
    I know where it is.... But you would only !ook for that if something looked fishy.

11. Utility 77

Utility 77 Enthusiast

Truck:

12. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    I’m suspicious by nature. I worked the theft side of DMV. I really didn’t care that much about emissions. I personally feel a lot of the emissions systems actually contributed to bad stuff going into the atmosphere.
    As far as the theft side of the equation, it’s unfortunate that by removing two Phillips screws you can make your truck any year you want to. Unlike the new 17 digit VIN’s these old Toyota’s are easy to rebrand. Some of these trucks are worth more now than when they were new.
    I could buy an old beater, steal your nice ride and make it mine in the time it takes to change ID plates. Just food for thought.

13. Utility 77

Utility 77 Enthusiast

Truck:
    Old jags are even easier...lol

14. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I know other states do it but I’ve been driving for 20 years in CA and have never had to get any of my cars inspected before other than smog. Only one was a K5 Blazer diesel, but I bought it out of state and wanted to register here - they wanted to verify the diesel I believe, since smog exempt. Since the 75 doesn’t have emissions testing, it’ll basically never go under the microscope is my assumption

Utility 77 likes this.
  15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    From what ive heard, if your vehicle us pre-smog it CAN still get sent to the ref. Because its still supposed to have the smog equipment. Testing just isnt required anymore.

Utility 77 likes this.
  16. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    When I read into it a while ago, that is what I understood. I remember thinking "what about all the hotrods and classics with motor swaps and mods? TECHNICALLY they're illegal!". I know a lot of them didn't come with any smog equipment, but Nazi CA SHOULD be turning their nose up @ a 4 banger Vega with a BBC rumbling around polluting 10x more...follow the money I guess, hotrods are an attraction that makes money. Money over environment in CA. Make more money under the umbrella of saving the environment, EVEN BETTER!

I'll have to read up on the CA smog laws again, but i know for a fact, if you live in a no-smog county and you modify a post '75 vehicle, you can still get into trouble.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Utility 77 likes this.
  17. Utility 77

Utility 77 Enthusiast

Truck:
    Smog in Cali is county by county, There are a few that do not go by smog laws, no testing !!!.

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    This is true BUT if you get pulled over and he cop pops your hood and sees something under there that doesnt belong he CAN send you to get ref'd.

Utility 77 likes this.
  19. Utility 77

Utility 77 Enthusiast

Truck:
    No he can NOT ! You are legal on the road, a cop would not no any different. You are legal w DMV. That is why my truck carb is a mess...they did not have to smog it.............up in Groveland.