Body Drop Questions

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by 93TRD, Mar 29, 2017.

1. 93TRD

93TRD Newbie

Truck:
    93 Single Cab
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Traditional BD you loose head room because you literally raise the floor.

Stock floor BD i believe you can cut the top section of the frame to lay the body lower or rebuild the center section with 2x3. But you lose no head room and you can still use the factory carpet and panels

What they did in that link is channel the body. Super old school trick BUT then youre left with the ugly raised sections

twizted1 likes this.
  3. redman

redman Enthusiast

I'm in the process of building a 93 that is bagged and body dropped. I did a traditional body drop. Yes you do loose head room but the floor actually stays the same and the outer skin of the cab drops (if that makes sense). This was my first time at this and I must say my hats off to those that do this ! There are many brackets and things you just don't think of that don't fit anymore and must be modified. I thought of channeling the body but for me the biggest thing was the exhaust. When you channel, the floor drops thus leaving little to no room for an exhaust when it is layed out.But all in all I'm super happy I tackled the BD. This thing looks so cool layed out with the rockers on the ground ! That reminds me , I must update my build thread. Good luck with your build.

4. vegas_yota

vegas_yota Member

How long did the bd take you

5. redman

redman Enthusiast

Well, after a week of measuring, drawing lines, measuring, drawing lines, and measuring some more I would guess I have 15-20 hours after I got the the nerve to make that first cut.The cutting is the easy part. Welding it all back together is what takes the time and by no means am I a welder. I can weld but it's definitely not my profession.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Good thing about metal is that you always add

7. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Practice your welding & use mig with gas.
    This is your floor & a main part of the body, strength & quality is important !!
    Don't do or be a hack like way too many!!

twizted1 likes this.
  8. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    I did traditional too awhile back since it was my first time. I'm 6'3" and fit comfortably. would be better with smaller steering wheel since mines the stock massive one. Givin I have an ex cab and can push the seat further back with new brackets if need be. Still might do that. The welying takes forever then trying to make everything fit again is the hardest part.

twizted1 likes this.
  9. 93TRD

93TRD Newbie

Truck:
    93 Single Cab
    I totally didn't think of the exhaust not having space. I don't mind the raised sections with the channel but I can assume there will be clearance issues with the trans tunnel as well. Just trying to see if there's a quicker/easier way than the traditional style

10. yota4life

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    Either way it's a lot of work. Traditional is pretty straight forward. And the simplest imo

11. vegas_yota

vegas_yota Member

Just a question what is done to the clutch pedal brake and gas pedal when the bd drop is done and wpuld i be losing ac ? Any body got a thread with someone doing one?

12. redman

redman Enthusiast

The pedals and bracket that holds them, all fit back on in there original position. Of course that depends on where you cut the floor. If cut at the very bottom of the firewall they fit. I z'ed my frame so then you have to cut wheel tubs on both sides of the firewall ( drivers and passengers side), not sure but I think you need to do that even without a z, so with tubs the end of the bracket (clutch side) needs to be modified a little because of the tubs. Then when mine is layed out I had to move the clutch master cylinder because the wheel hit it. Fun Stuff !

13. yota4life

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    Flip the master cylinder then make an arch in the clutch pedal. Pretty simple. I have pics in my thread somewhere in there