Finally My 5vz swap On my yota

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Orlando Muniz, Aug 27, 2016.

1. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

That's good to know. I might be coming around to the V6 idea. The 1JZ I bought has decided to go in my Supra so I'm back on the hunt for a truck engine.

2. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    So today i got a lot of thing done such as putting the new fuel pump on and clutch hardline. I was also able to get the motor off the stand and do a test fit, i will go in more detail on how much fun that was. I was able to finally get the Chromed brake calipers on and they look great. I was able to paint the battery tray and motor mounts, so i was able to install those as well. So the new fuel pump was not all that hard to install just required to lift half of the bed up, which kinda sucked when you have the bed loaded with parts in it. The hardline for the clutch was a breeze to install, i love how Toyota already has a spot for it with the clips already there. I cleaned the transmission some more and painted the trans with the same black paint as the block.

So to doing the test fit in the truck, i got the engine off its stand and was able to install the bearing for the manual trans into the block. So i was told by Mike at ORS that my 89 engine mounts would not worked with this swap and that i needed to have i believe 91-93 mounts. So i installed the mounts Mike had recommended and go the motor in to only find out that those mount were not even remotely close to fitting. So i pulled the motor back out uninstalled the insulators from the 91-93 motor mounts and reused the mounts that came with my truck. What do you know those mounts work and line up like it should, the only thing i need to check is to make sure that the insulator is the right part number for my 89 motor mounts. Other than that everything was fitting good, parts of the headers cleared which im really surprised and looks like i am going to need a new hood since this motor with the supercharge is really tall.

Motor going in
    [​IMG]

Motor standing on her own weight
    [​IMG]

How tall this motor is compared to the 3vz
    [​IMG]

91-93 motor mount fitment
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Original Mounts
    [​IMG]

Motor off the stand
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New Fuel Pump Installed
    [​IMG]

Freshly paint motor mounts and battery tray
    [​IMG]

Manual Trans bearing installed
    [​IMG]

Chrome plated brake Calipers installed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Freshly painted Transmission
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Some more progress today... i was able to install the light weight flywheel, Dual Stage clutch and pressure plate from LCE. I installed the clutch release bearing with hopes of attaching the trans to the motor but looks like LCE sent the wrong clutch release bearing, the one they gave me was about an inch and 1/2 too long. So since i could not attach the trans and motor i went to start relocating the battery cable since the battery will need to be on the right side of the motor. I was also able to wire up the electric fan controller into the factory fuse box. I also needed to cut away some of the alternator bracet since it was rubbing against the power steering gear box.

Clutch and pressure plate.
    [​IMG]

Clutch release bearing
    [​IMG]

Modified alternator bracket
    [​IMG]

Electric fan and battery relocation
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Today i was able to reroute some the coolant line to accommodate how the heater lines are in the yota. Also was able to install the fuel line to the 7th injector.
    [​IMG]

Also temporarily fitted the trans on and starter to give the motor a turn to get the oil flowing and into the cams. I was doing this while i was waiting for the correct clutch release bearing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Later on today i ended up getting the correct bearing and i was able to finally install the transmission for good. Tomorrow i'm going to spin the motor again to see if everything is aligned properly as nothing is making any funny noises.
    [​IMG]

jetas likes this.
  5. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Suh Weet.

6. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Thanks, i finally got the motor and trans officially in. I made the mistake thinking the 96 2wd oil pan was the same as 3.0 2wd oil pan. So i have to modify a lil and then have to modify the headers, think i might have to take it to an muffler shop to bend it properly and may have to reweld.

7. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I know the feeling, hence my 1J is going in my Supra. I KNEW I needed rear sump but 6 weeks of staring at craigslist and ebay, and a really good price, and I bought something. But, I won't regret it.

I looked at the 2grfe or 2grfse for a minute, output of a 1UZ from a fuel sipping V6, but I think it would be a nightmare install.

8. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    A 2gr would be awesome in our trucks or even the 1gr but i believe the 1 gr is a really tall motor. 2gr has so much torque to it, that one of the reason on why i got a Camry with the 2gr in it.

9. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Ok so that last two days have been pretty interesting....found out i need a new oil pan and some vsv sensor that i forgot off the t100, but at least i got the motor and transmission in. Today i was able to install the LCE Short shifter which was a pain in the butt to install since i had to modify the washers. I also installed the ORS wiring harness which turned out pretty tricky on where i was going to route everything. So by the end of the day today, i was OFFICIALLY able to turn over the motor and get the engine to run. I let it run for about 2 secs. since i do not have coolant, i just wanted to get the bad gas out of the fuel filter and hear it run. Man was it loud, once i get the upper radiator hose I will make sure i post a video of the truck running.

Some updated pics ( More will follow soon)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I saw a Smoking Tire one take where a guy had a 2GR in an MR2, when they talked output I was like "oh yeah it's turbo or blown" aaaaand...nope. Pure motor.

11. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    yea the 2gr in the MR2 are bad ass. They dont need no boost when that big motor is in something like that.

12. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    So i got everything hooked up with coolant and hooked up the 7th injector. I was now officially able to turn the motor, but now it looks like i am only able to keep it running for a couple of seconds(see video below) I am wondering if its the fuel filter giving me issues. I have a new fuel pump and no vacuum leaks that i can see. Any ideas????

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Was that headers only? Sounds mean

14. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
  15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Think it couldve shut off because the O2 sensors?

16. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    That the thing it should still at least run with out the o2 sensors, but it would run like crap. I should have a new fuel filter in tomorrow, so we will see what that will do. Might disconnect the 7th injector cpu to see if that is causing the issue.

17. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Good news today... I finally got the motor running after days of being stumped. I disconnected the 7th injector ecu and it runs and stays running. Now I just need to figure out why the gauges won't work.

Adrian2013Ibarra likes this.
  18. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Oh man, that thing is gonna smoke your tires so good.

19. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    yea i know!!.....ugh that reminds me that i will need new tires soon...But yesterday i was able to get the truck running with the 7th injector ECU and able to plug my pc into it and get some of the readings. The only issue now is that i am not getting an rpm reading via the AIC controller. Looks like i have to check the IGF wire again.

20. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Update--
    So ive been a lil busy with my backyard and fixing the house while i was waiting for my rear brake calipers to get chromed to match the front. I will most likely get the rear brakes put on this weekend or this week, then i can finally take the yota out the garage and take her for a spin. Also while i was waiting i was able to get the 4runner seats bolted into place as well as the center console. For the center console i had to create my own bracket to hold it in place. The bottom portion of the interior will have to wait til i figure out what is going on with the gauges.

Here are some pics below.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]