1988 22R A/C help !! Troubleshooting/ rebuild

Discussion in '1984-1988 Pickup Discussion' started by 22R88, Oct 25, 2016.

1. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    My 1988 has factory A/C. It was converted to 134A after a front end collision years ago. With the 134A the system works well as long as you are moving but gets warmer at idle but it has been fine for the little use I put on the truck. I also have a small leak somewhere that I have to give a shot of 134 bout once a year but the other day while driving and accelerating hard the A/C seemed to let go as the temp climbed coming from the vents. I do not see any oil or anything to make me think the compressor leaked out but ??? Checking the system it seemed a bit low so I added a bit more but the strange thing is now at idle it seems to cool better(40 degree air) and while running it seemed to warm up (55-65 degree). Before I rip it all out and try to rebuild it does anyone have any clue as to what specifically may have failed ? If it is a simple fix I may patch it but I also kinda like the idea of trying to overhaul the entire system and fix it right.....Is there a way to make the 134A perform( different condenser or something ) right in these older systems ?

Thanks,
    22R88

2. LVStreetterror

LVStreetterror Newbie

This advice is only based on my knowledge of automotive a/c systems and not on your particular vehicle. I have to say, you really should have a pair of gauges hooked up to the high and low side to determine specific pressures during operation. You can get lucky w/o using gauges but you can also crap out. Most refrigerant conversions are only successful if you use the correct condenser, compatible o-rings (the originals will fail with 134a), and new PAG oil. The mineral oil in your system needs to be flush out and the accumulator or rec./dryer needs to be swapped for a new unit with the correct desiccant for 134a. I have seen TSB's for retrofits recommend charging only 80-90% of the original r12 capacity.

A google search of converting r12 systems to 134a should turn up a little bit of reading and may result in an excellent understanding of the situation you are looking to correct.

3. LVStreetterror

LVStreetterror Newbie

4. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Thank you for your time and advice. If I got a Condensor for a 95 pickup 22r would it fit and is it larger to better handle the 134A if I go total rebuild route. I do have access to gauges and a vac pump but I am just researching right now as I am flooded out of my home and everything i own is where I usually keep the Yota.

5. LVStreetterror

LVStreetterror Newbie

Sorry, I'm just not educated on the specifics of your model or the 95'. I can assure you that getting the right combo together and making it fit is very possible. If you have a proper professional hose shop near you or online like Parker you can certainly have custom a/c lines made to any spec you choose. Then you are only restricted to a condenser that physically fits in your truck and has the correct capacity for your compressor using 134a. That gives you a lot of options.

As far as fitment of oem Toyota parts, I am sure someone on this forum will know specifics regarding interchangeability and compatibility between the different generations. I am sure they will chime in soon.

6. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Yes, the 95 ac compressor should bolt up to ur model.

7. salabim

salabim Newbie

Listen to LVS. The only way to tell what's happening with your A/C system is to use gauges. Otherwise its gonna get expensive fast guessing and replacing parts. Harbor Freight gauges are 40 bucks and work fine.
    I have an 88 with A/C using an r12 substitute. It had the same symptoms as yours and turned out to be a worn compressor after 190,000 miles. Everything else was good. That doesn't mean that's your problem though. I would have never found out without a set of gauges.

LVStreetterror likes this.