Truck won't start. . . Need help!

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by alwaysbroke, Sep 20, 2016.

1. alwaysbroke

alwaysbroke Enthusiast

Truck:
    85 x cab 4seat firewall buggy, bagged 87 st cab
    I have a 73 hilux with 18rc and auto trans, the truck has started up perfectly since I bought it. It sat in my garage for a couple weeks then I went to start it one day and it had trouble and progressively got worse. It would just click like if the battery was dead but if u kept trying eventually it would turn over and start, then it quit even turning over. I replaced the starter and it still has the same problem, it just clicks. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also the new starter has a (R) terminal as where the original starter didn't. What is the (R) terminal for?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Try giving the starter direct current. Could just be low current going thru the starter trigger

3. alwaysbroke

alwaysbroke Enthusiast

Truck:
    Thanks jetas I'll try that

4. alwaysbroke

alwaysbroke Enthusiast

Truck:
    So I jumped it directly and it cranks over fine but still not with the key, could it be one of these? I'm guessing one is a voltage regulator and the other? Any ideas and input are welcome

[​IMG]

5. alwaysbroke

alwaysbroke Enthusiast

Truck:
    Ok so on top of the coil is the ignition coil resistor that could possibly be my problem, bud does anyone know what the ones is on the right?

Ok so the one on the right, I'm assuming is the ignition relay I guess I'll try replacing both

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Check power to the starter thru the small trigger wire. If it doesnt crank then it has nothing to do with the ign coil. Could be as easy as swapping one wire out

7. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

It would just click like if the battery was dead but if u kept trying eventually it would turn over and start, then it quit even turning over.

Does your battery have enough cranking amps?
    Try jumping your truck with another vehicle, and see if that makes a difference... one possible issue will be eliminated.

Also regarding the red terminal on the end of the NEW starter, please post a picture. IF it is what I think it is, it is an after-market add on. It serves no purposed but to ass confusion and frustration to where it goes ( which is no where on your year ).. We spent a week trying to figure this same red wire on the starter issue out until we broke out the electric schematic: no red wire there.

8. alwaysbroke

alwaysbroke Enthusiast

Truck:
    I can jump it directly from battery to the starter and it starts, I don't know if that's the same as jumping it from another car, I personally think it's the ignition relay but I can't find one anywhere anyone know where to get one?

As for the wire on the starter it's not red it's white but I will post a pic when I get home