White Hornet

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Lowtide671, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Nice work man! its always nice to have the dealership hook up. Where are you in texas? i just moved to texas

2. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    @Orlando Muniz thanks,
    I'm here in San Antonio if your ever close by let me know, between me and my team we all have 6 trucks total, soon to be 7!!!
    And yes having dealer access is a dream owning projects of this nature.

3. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    I'm in Pflugerville in austin....ya I work at lexus for 8 years and loved having access to the lift and discounts on parts

4. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Been Working on Wiring..... oh the joys. Not the worst. What I'm trying to achieve is make it almost factory fit as possible, when I had the donor it took off all the pig tails to the engine harness. That way in the event the engine needs to be pulled I can be simply disconnected from the harness...
    [​IMG]
    It's been Ok not to bad. I plan on either making a switch panel to control fans ignition fuel pump , well all this stuff I guess only thing that the factory key and harness will control will be the lights and radio.... if the radio makes its way back into the truck that is....
    [​IMG]
    Auto Rod Controls!!! Their pretty pricey at about $300 but I really dig the flat panel....
    When budget permit I'll for sure buying one of these.!!

5. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Just want to show you guys also how those mounts from Drop Zone Customs (Ebay) Ended up working out. I know a few members have had a few issues in the past with them but i do think they may have corrected what ever issues they had in the past.
    I did NOT have to modify the mounts in any way shape or form. Put them on a dropped the motor in...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Engine clears the drag link and cross member with no problems what so ever. I will probably end up getting the trail gear solid engine mounts, Due to the fact that with torque and all it will probably hit the oil pan. Clank clack everytime the gun is gunned.
    Its a Drop in / plug and play option.
    Last few days I've been trying to removed the studs from the exhaust manifolds, used every method and they just will not budge!!!!! They have had me super frustrated as i wanted a clean stud and bolt here for future serviceability.
    [​IMG]
    i Called the machine shop prior to me messing with it and they wanted to charge me $25 PER STUD with no Guarantee they would be able to remove it.

6. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Good to know the dropzone mounts work. Looking at the clearance between the valve cover and brake booster, You must have the sc400 oilpan.

7. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    @Lowtide671 why dont you just completely cut the studs and then bore them out? Drill press might be very handy if you have one. 25 bucks is a rip off, it should be 25 bucks total!

8. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    I had the same issue with those studs. I ended breaking a couple of tools. I got mine off by grinding the threads to make the bolt a square shape. From there I used a socket and breaker bar behind a ratchet.

9. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    @yotarip yes sir SC400 pan.

@Orlando Muniz yeah man these shops with out a dealer account in San Antonio north are a complete rip off. I also asked to have the refaced and the total for both the manifolds and studs was around $350.... complete joke. The drill press idea should be awesome. I have one but couldn't come up with anything to secure them in place while drilling....

@90DailyDriven thats for sure a thought.
    I had tried securing what's left of the stud into the bench vise while heating them with a MAP torch then using a 5ft cheater bar and the dam thing started flexing the table..... in really supprised it didn't snap them smooth off.

I'll probably just end up cutting them down & going to harbour freight and buying a bunch of throw away bits....
    It's been sure time consuming with the studs. If that dosnt work I may just foto the yard and try and find a new pair....

10. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Welp..... gave up on the hunt for a shifting solution as I'm going to be running the Automatic and will eventually put a TH400 trans in this truck so just bought one of these silly shifters for now.... [​IMG]
    all jokes aside this thing is REALLY nice!!!!
    I'm still waiting around on eBay for a few odds and ends but the bushing kit can in to keep me busy in the waiting game.
    [​IMG]
    And as I was writing this post all the rest of the stuff has arrived!!!!
    Got it all ready to go!!!

11. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Have fun with the upper control arm bushings. Those were the only PITA out of all of them. I would recommend getting some extra lube for the bushings as it doesn't come with enough. I also got bolts with zerk fittings for the rear leafs, so I can grease them later on.

Keep up the good work man!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Lowtide671 likes this.
  12. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    @Frinzo the rubber is almost completely gone on mine! Are These are designed to push into the sleve that's already their???

13. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Yes, they push into the originals. The ones i got for the upper arms went into the metal sleeve just fine but when i put the part that holds it to the frame it was loose. Once the arm was installed on the truck though it was tight. I even called the mfr to confirm this issue before i installed the bushings on the frame. I will say be prepared to buy an extra set of upper bushings (stock kind) incase u mess up the metal sleeve. Good luck amd dont get to pissed at it.

14. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

I had the opposite issue. The uppers were easy for me. It was the lower control arm bushing install that gave me the most trouble.

15. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    They where pretty easy; removing the old material was No problem as it was all falling out and ways hahaha:lol:
    [​IMG]
    Haven't got around to the rest just yet, only have done the uppers so far.

jblaust likes this.
  16. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Yeah guys the lowers are a pain....
    Rigged some threaded rod and a ratchet strap to get them in, it was getting them out that wasn't fun.
    Just went with the drill thru method as burning them just makes a smelly mess and has never been my preference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Replacing these bushing isn't the worst task. Just time consuming and tedious.

17. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

I see you don't have any shims on the upper control arm mount. What your camber like? I had to add a few shims to increase the negative camber so my tires would clear the fenders.

18. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    @yotarip I took the pick before installing the shims. After the engine is installed I'll report back. Prior to any of this the bushings rubber was falling out all over the place.
    The lowers (prothane) were VERY loose until EVERTHING was installed back into place!
    Just like @Frinzo i wanted to called the Manufacturer just to confirm before installing it all

19. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I haven't done bushings on these trucks, but I have on my c10. I found the trick to them was you don't try to burn the rubber out, but instead heat up the metal sleeve on the outside and it melts the rubber enough to slide/tap them out. And if done right you won't hurt the sleeve.

Richard likes this.
  20. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Got around to finalizing the bushings in the front complete. Not the worst but dose require extra patience.....
    [​IMG]

Also got my Shirter Mounted!!! Dam it REALLY nice!!!

[​IMG]

Hella expensive but I'm happy!!! Plus its not like I could find anything that would work and not look like complete crap...