Will These Mods Increase the Horsepower of My 1987 4 Cylinder?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by lowlifelegend, Jul 24, 2016.

1. lowlifelegend

lowlifelegend Newbie

Truck:
    1987 Toyota Pickup
    1. Going up a size in spark plug?
    2. Getting a "high flow" converter or a turbo muffler (or both) ?
    3. Getting MSD Coil Packs?
    4. Getting a high flow air filter?
    5. Ripping off the air silencer for more power and sound?
    6. Adding a turbocharger or supercharger?

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    These trucks are NOT known for performance, they're known for reliability. My guess is the only one that will be noticeable is #6, adding boost. Expensive mod though that doesn't make sense to most, which is why it's so uncommon. In general, you could toss $1k+ in aftermarket parts on your 22re and only see like 10hp gain. Ive read about people doing everything on their 22re and not being happy with the like 150hp you get in the end - sure it's torquey for crawling, but lacks true power for your investment. Stickers would likely net you a better investment. This is why people simply swap the engine for something more "buildable" like a 2/3rz, 2jz, other swap.

I did the cat and turbo muffler on my 22re didn't notice much change other than I use more skinny pedal now because sounds better. Same would go for air filter or silencer mod.

3. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Have to agree.. Ive put alot of money into my motor and i dnt think ill be any where near 175hp. Take the money and invest it in a motor swap.

4. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    I picked up a complete 95' SC400 for $420 on my local craigslist.... I find Running SC400 LS400 and GS400 for less then 1k all day on craigslist.
    A lot of my teams trucks have some very Heavy Modded 22r's and yeah its just OK with all that stuff attached.
    Check out my Thread and see.

5. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    How does one go up a size in spark plug?

6. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    LOL I'm sure he meant up a "size" in heat range...

But I'm surprised his list does not include a header which will probably give the single biggest (relatively speaking) cheap increase in power...

7. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I've been driving these small engine /small trucks for a long time now & I can tell you you can get great power from them,not cheaply, but doable!
    When my current truck was being used as my work/ commuter truck I lost a head gasket & being a hot rodder it was going back with changes!

LC header,cam,valve springs & retainers were all used , I already had a K&N air filter 7 the increase in power was great & easily noticed!

Now many years later & 14 years into my project truck ( same truck) & I am running LC's Pro Street Stage One 22RE with all that they recommended, & couldn't be happier! This truck is a show truck that I drive weekly & to shows far & wide. Runs hard & fast & still is very reliable. Mileage is 31 if & when I stay @ 65/ 25 to 28 with my normal 75 to 85 cruising!! Will pull easily up to 140, through I haven't taken' her past 120!

Ride height is adjustable & drive @ 4.5'' !!

OneOffStroker likes this.