White Hornet

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Lowtide671, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Oh yea and I've been meaning to post a few pics of the rest of my Teams Trucks...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    New Gasket Kit.
    Purchased thru eBay for 70 bucks. i must say I'm really pleased with the quality of the gaskets and seals...
    [​IMG]
    the head gaskets are nice and thick and are graphite constructed and the seals look and feel just like the toyota ones...
    other then the valve cover gaskets being blue they feel like the same quality of that like toyota ones.
    IF you are planning on buy a kit like this i Will tell you that you will still need to buy the front crank seal....
    [​IMG]
    Went to Toyota today to price out a few more Misc items and Ran into the Mac tool truck and got a valve tool as thru the years people would borrow mine and i guess it never got returned.... 65 bucks later this guy happened.

3. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Made Just a little more progress today. Took the heads home from the actual build site to clean the old gasket material and get the Stem seals replaced...[​IMG]
    For all the first timers out their doing any work on heads, keep everything nice and tidy, clean and organized.
    egg cartons and cardboard are a cheap and easy way....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Label things
    [​IMG]
    the stem seals were pretty dam tight in their...
    [​IMG]
    gave everything a nice clean up with the wire wheel
    [​IMG] O
    Ok i REAALLYYY wish i had some White Roloc bristle discs but all i had was the Green ones, Check my local grainger and they would of
    had to been ordered.....
    I'm kinda skeptical of had this turned out but I'm sure it will be ok
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nice a fresh stem seals!!!!
    :clapping:

4. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Getting there buddy!

Keep it up!

5. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    [​IMG] Just a few random pics I wanted to share, these are when I first bought the house and she sat outside for a few years...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    @YOguyDA thanks man! This engine is a lot of work to rebuild, I only, wrench on this project a few days only for a few hours at a time.

7. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Love the truck!

When I've gone to car shows in the past, all of the finished projects become a blurr. Always love seeing the daily drivers/works in progress.

Love me some primer and scratches, with everything mechanical restored, lol.

KERTWOOD likes this.
  8. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    @YOguyDA yeah man these trucks are a constant work in progress.

Last night got to wrenching with my team. i got the heads back on, needing to order a few more things in order to get it all back together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So one of the other guys on my team has been waiting to Rebuild his motor for a while now and we finally got around to it. We now have 2 rebuilds going at once.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Complete Over hual. pistons gaskets seals engine paint ect. poor guy only had one mount holding this engine in...

9. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    So i had to put my build on hold for just a little to help out one of our friends to finish his...
    [​IMG]
    Pretty basic 22RE rebuild with all the goodies EGR delete headers exhaust and an intake...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lol we even have a few helping smaller hands at times....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AANNDDDD so finally this guys build is complete and True... now lets get back to mine.

10. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    So with working on the 2 builds my motor is 95% ready to go back in. Im now just Waiting on the Parts like mounts, the radiator, shirtfer, fuel pump trans cooler and some gauges.

[​IMG]
    she's all timed up ready to go..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So the harness all reattached and routed... ALOT of my connectors broke during this process, hopefully this will not be a problem in the future. i would say maybe another hour is needed at this point for the motor to be 100% ready to function.

jblaust likes this.
  11. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    1994 Pickup Standard Cab Base 22RE Manual
    Nice build!

12. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
  13. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Small kind of update for you guys. I've started Getting the Truck ready to receive the motor, mainly the interior. As time has taken its toll on most of the plastics a lot of them broke during the removal process....
    i plan to clean up and paint whats their and still usable. AC was removed along with the Heater.
    Eventually ill add the AC back. but that will not be for some time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Its been raining a lot here in texas lately, so i haven't got much done. i did however get around to cleaning up the apron and got a few little things out of the way to make to swap go a little smoother. While the Engine is out i do plan on repainting the front apron along with the engine bay.

15. Dark

Dark Newbie

hey man hows the wiring set up??? im swapping 2jzge auto to my 86 yota...
    did u bypass the theft light/key sensor??? did u use lexus key or yota key??

16. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    I'm running a 1UZ from a 95 SC400. The car doesn't have any of the immobilizers so I'll be running the Key. However it will only be for the body functions, lights, horn, wipers. Everything like EFI STARTER FUEL PUMP FANS will all be setup on toggle switches.

17. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    While Ive been just sitting around waiting on parts for this motor i decide to try out a little body work...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    rust cleanup
    [​IMG]
    Even had my daughter helping out scuffing interior panels.... picked up a few cans of Fusion and intend to paint the interior a flat black..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally Decide that the color scheme will Be WHITE, BLUE, BLACK.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I did get the Engine Finished and I'm not just waiting on mounting parts. Pics will follow once I'm at that road.

18. Dark

Dark Newbie

How u gonna run speedometer??
    I wanna use stock cluster??

19. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    The speedo Will not work due to the fact the truck uses a cable driven system. So for me I'll be buying all aftermarket Guages. The speedo I'll be getting uses a GPS signal along with VSS off the ECU. I originally had planned to go with all Autometer but cost wise the would be over 1500 bucks worth that I couldn't see myself spending. I hear really good things about glowshift Guages so that's the route I'm going. Under $700 for: Speedo, Tach, Fuel pressure, oil pressure, trans temp, water temp, voltage, wide band O2. You could use the factory setup for everything But the speedo. Mind you brother this is to the best of my knowledge. The may be some gadget out their that would allow you to use it but I don't wanna deal with all that hahahaha.

20. Dark

Dark Newbie

How u planning on driveshaft fitment...to ur rear end??