Speedy

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Frinzo, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Ok, i didnt want to do a build thread for this truck as ive got alot done 2 it already. But i just need somewhere to post some pics of the motor..well this truck has sat not running for yr maybe 2 now..i have changed the oil twice and the plugs once..well maybe everyone on here will get my motivation up to clean her and gettin it running agian..well here ya go :) oh also the carbs have never had fuel threw them..just put them on to make sure the insides stayed good.. ok pics....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is a pic of the header from lcengineering, this has been on the truck for 5yrs..so i think the paint has held up well :) but deffently needs to be repainted..
    [​IMG]

skaterat likes this.
  2. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    91 V6 SR5 Xtracab, 87 22RE 4x4, 73 HiLux 18R SR5
    Does the header really make a noticeable difference in horsepower? I've always thought about putting one on previous trucks I've owned but wasn't sure if it was worth it or not.

3. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    IMO i think it deffently improved performance, but thats with an exhuast to.

4. IBeSeeN

IBeSeeN Addict

Truck:
    89 Toyota
    nice get that beast running im in the process of getting a 20r head milled down to do a 20/22r did u have to use an adjustable cam gear for it?

5. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    any reason/reasons its not running?? its looking pretty good & Im sure it will be pretty quick when finished!

6. Sound.Vision.Soul

Sound.Vision.Soul Toyotaholic

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    Lookin sweet man! Love the dual carb setup. I bet it will spark right up. Maybe run a little rough at first... but then smooth out! :D

7. bustedknuckles

bustedknuckles Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 Toyota, 2000 S10 Xtreme
    That dual carb looks killer. I love it. Good luck getting it running.

8. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    only thing i can say is i got burned out from workin on it so much..i will mess with it more when the weather breaks. that and it having to take race fuel doesnt help...

IBeSeen- it doesnt have one on it right now, but i do plan on buying one once i get it runnin agian..ow and also it has a dual timing chain on it..

9. nvrenufedge

nvrenufedge Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bagged '93 std cab
    Nice! A buddy of mine had that same setup in his '77 Celica GT back in high school. Damn, that thing was fast!

10. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Update to Speedy! I still own this truck, but being in the military and not bringing the truck with me to my dfferent duty stations (2), I left it sitting at a buddies shop for awhile. I didn't have a way to move it with me at the time and other hobbies took over. Well over this last holiday break (2015), I went home to VA and towed it back to IL. I am in the process of making / updating a excel spreadsheet for this truck. The spreadsheet is for me to track the stuff that has been bought, wanting to buy and things that are currently done to it. I ultimately and just going to use the truck as a fun street truck for general driving around, I have my new Tundra for towing and what not.

My first goal is to get it running. From there, I'm not sure what to do, atm I need to run 105+ octane (per LCE recommendations) and where I currently live I don't know where to get any. So, with that in mind, I am thinking of running E85 (107 octane) now. I am in the process of trying to talk to Weber about converting it to run E85. So going this route, I will need new fuel lines and a few other fuel system parts. Other than that, no idea as there is a bunch of things I would like to do, but don't need to do, lol.

So, any recommendation / opinions welcomed.

My current though process:
    1) Motor running (this will include fuel system)
    2) Protect frame from further rust (surface atm)
    3) Suspension front and rear setups (redo)
    4) Body- Flat Black color
    5) Interior

These were taken Late Dec 2015. Only thing I have done since then is vacuum the interior and cleaned the bed out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    That engine looks damn pretty just sitting there.

Get to it and get it running!

12. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    It looked pretty back in '06, that's how it looks now after almost 10 years. Yes, I will get it running, but trying to get an answer from weber if I can convert the 40mm sidedraft to run E85. Once that is confirmed, then I will buy the fuel lines and everything else and get her running. In the mean time I'm looking to move the fuel cell out of the bed and put it where the spare time would have gone. Anyone have recommendations? I need to measure it tomorrow when I get a chance.

13. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    All this week I have done research on a bunch of different areas on the truck. From fuel system setup for E85, interior replacement parts, suspension setups, and even some bed replacement panels. There is other areas, that I have research on, but nothing worth posting ATM, as I don't have all the information for it. I have decided to change direction atm on what to do for the truck. I am going to POR-15 my whole frame, excluding the suspension parts, as I am wanting to change all of it (see below). I am still doing a bit of research to figure out how much POR-15 I will need for 2 coats. Reason for this is because my truck doesn't have a heater core currently and it's the middle of winter where I currently live, so no point in having a running truck if I can't drive it around, also I have a shop that I can use atm to do other things to the truck, like POR-15 the frame. That and my truck isn't registered atm.

Interior Research -

I have figured out the other aftermarket gauges I will need. Now that I know all the gauges I want, I drew a very basic sketch of placement in the truck, I will have one gauge holder extra atm, so I will figure out another gauge, or just put a filler plate in it for now. Also, I worked on a dash insert to hold 2 - 5" Auto Meter gauges where the stock location is for the speedometer. Still need to finish template, but will have a good template to use for the metal version (excluding the exact placement of gauges. Later, I will use this cardboard template for figuring out the gauges and warning light placement. I am also going to make a switch panel for the truck. I am thinking of placing them where the heater control switches are stock, this way it uses a stock location and it covers the "hole".

Suspension Research -

I want to redo my suspension setup. Reason for this is when I was young and dumb, i didn't spend the money at the time to do a correct front drop. See below this paragraph for setup. During research and reading this forum, I came across someone needing help with a QA1 on the front. So in reading, I have found that the 69 Camaro front coils should work, but will require a aftermarket UCA. So I spent some time on summit racing and added 2 different kinds of struts and the coil spring cap. I need to weight my truck first so I can figure out a good lb/in spring rate. Only thing other than that is I scored a full sway bar set off a 1 ton dually, this includes all bushing, brackets, and bolts.

Front:
    - 2" drop Spindles
    - DJM 3" LCA
    - Fab Tech UCA - Part #FTS4130-1
    -1 ton sway bar
    - polyurethane bushings

Rear:
    - Notch the frame
    - 3" drop leafs
    - Drop blocks (not sure on size ATM)
    - 1 ton sway bar
    - polyurethane bushings

Engine -

I want to try to run E85 on my setup and the cost in fuel is alot less, ATM its around $5-6/gal. So, I have called Weber about running E85 thru the 40mm sidedrafts, and all the tech could say is, "I don't recommend it", when I asked why, he says it will gum up the carbs; he learned this when he tried doing E85 on his personnel vehicle. My only thought is that he may not have switched out his fuel lines to the PTFE style. The PTFE is the only rated fuel line that can safely run E85. I also found out that alot of people that didn't switch fuel lines reported that their carbs "gummed" up. He did recommend that I go up 1-2 main jet size and run an F9 idle screw. If this attempt fails, the fuel system can handle the regular 105+ racing fuel requirements also. Other parts of the fuel system wise, I figured out the fuel tank (plus the placement for it), fuel pump, fuel lines (-6 AN Primary/-4 AN return), fittings (-6 AN Primary/-4 AN return), and how to run all of this. I will still need to buy misc. items though.

In closing, not alot of physical work was done to the truck, but alot of research on what I want for an outcome did. I still need to figure out the overall look of the truck I want so that I can start looking for the parts and pieces.

P.S. - Sorry for long post. If you did read all of this post, THANKS!

mikes87yota likes this.
  14. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Here is the template I made. I am trying to decide if I want a electronic speedometer or a mechanical.

[​IMG]

Backside showing how its being held in, might need to add brackets to lower part once gauges are installed.
    [​IMG]

jetas likes this.
  15. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Small / quick update. Got most of the truck stripped down. Working to get the cab prepped to do POR-15 on the inner firewall, floor, rear window channel, and windshield channel. Once I have it all prepped and ready, I will do that all in one go, but I am also looking at doing LizardSkin sound deadner on the inside of the cab. and thinking of just doing the LizardSkin Ceramic coating on the engine bay firewall on the underside of the cab, to much money to do it on the inside and out, but haven't fully decided if I will spray on outside or inside yet (ceramic coating). When I am on vacation in the next week or so, the cab is coming off the chassis and the whole chassis is getting completely stripped apart so that I can POR-15 it. As I reassemble the chassis I will be installing Prothane polyurethane bushings. One of many decisions I'm still trying to decide on is if I want to go ahead and spend the money on drop leafs and drop LCAs. I don't want to have to redo those later on once the truck is mostly assembled. Decisions decisions. Also got the 1 ton rear sway bar installed and working on the wiring harness. Going to do something interesting with the wiring :D

OK, on to the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Quick update:

Order a few items for the truck in preparation of the chassis work next week.

1) POR-15 base and Top Coat (Gloss Black)
    2) Full Prothane Suspenstion kit W/ extra 25mm Swaybar kit (for the rear)
    3) Low Range Offroad's greaseable shackle bolts for rear leaf springs & shackle plates

My goal by end of week is to have the chassis completely striped down and POR-15 the whole thing. Then re-install all of the suspension so I have a rolling chassis. I didn't order the 3" lowering leafs / LCAs yet as I want to keep the money i have saved up for an "emergency" fund incase I hit bumps along the way. I also have been looking for all new seals/gasket for the cab itself and I think I have locate all of them for decent prices; granted they are all mostly on ebay.

Next goal after the suspension is back together is to get the cab sorted out.

17. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Looks good!

18. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Started a day late, but was able to get a lot done today. Tomorrow I'm hoping to have the frame fully stripped of the front suspension and then get it ready for cleaning. But I ended up snapping a few bolts in the frame, so I got to get those extracted before I do anything else. I was able to get the front bushings out of each leaf pack, but getting them off the truck was a PITA as the center collar was rusted to the bolt, I was already planning to replace them anyways along with just about every other bolt on the frame. I did order some shackles from lowrangoffroad.com that were 5", not knowing its 5" from bolt hole to bolt hole, so I will need to drill a hole and cut the brackets down. Also need to see if I can either find a greasable bolt for the front leaf or go a size bigger to eliminate the collar for the poly bushing. If I go bigger, its going to cost a lot ($34 for 2 bolts), so I might look into either doing some bolts myself or just pass on a greasable bolt all together for now. I still need to order a few more things to reassembly the chassis after paint, but waiting to get a full list before ordering, hope to have that done tomorrow so I can order the parts. Still trying to have a rolling chassis by end of weekend, thsis way I can move onto getting the cab POR-15 / LizardSkinned CI&SI. More in the next few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mikerocosms likes this.
  19. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Getting there on my project. Was able to get the whole frame, Cab's interior firewall & floor board, & front windshield, & rear window sills POR-15. The frame and a few other chassis parts have POR-15 Top coat. I am currently working on removing most of the factory undercoating on the cab. Once this is done and clean, I will be using POR-15 bed liner on the lower engine bay firewall and the full underside of the cab.

As always, the pics!

Here is right before the POR-15.
    [​IMG]

Frame POR-15'ed and back as a rolling chassis.
    [​IMG]

Here is the Cab -

Cleaned and ready

[​IMG]

All finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Mikerocosms likes this.
  20. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran